1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATRAC: How does lifting you truck w/bigger tires affect its abiltiy??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Workman, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    Workman

Workman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab, off road, V6
    Not to start another thread that goes on and on about ATRAC vs. LOCKERS:smack:, I am truly curious how LIFTING a truck with ATRAC affects its abilities. What are some of the other problems associated with ATRAC and strain on other systems while running larger than stock tires? Does ATRAC still function the same with a lift AND larger tires???

This is directed to those with at least a three inch lift and 32's or more (and ATRAC)....hopefully there are no problems associated in the ATRAC system caused by lifting/tires, and this thread isnt a novel in a week:D

2. Oct 29, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    ccextra1976

ccextra1976 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 timberland mica DC 4x4 off road
    the sensor doesn't pick up the outside diameter of the tire,

3. Oct 29, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    ccextra1976

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    think about it like this, depending on tire size (mine = 265/75-16) the "speed" difference at 60 mph between factory and my tires is 2 mph. You can do the math at 5mph if you're using A-Trac.....it's not going to matter.

4. Oct 29, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    It senses the amount of difference in spin, not a certain speed of spin. The system is better than most care to believe... No matter how big the tire that will fit on the truck, if it is spinning at 3 mph or 15 mph, A-TRAC will only come on if ONE of the tires on an axle spins more than the other... It will brake the loose tire to match the rotation of the traction tire... which means you move ahead.

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    ccextra1976

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
  6. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    Workman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You have a 3in lift? AND above 32"in tires? Then you need to keep responces TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What will ATRAC DO when presented with different tire sizes because of lift AND 32in.+ tires???????????????

THis is not the David K/whippersnapper02/whateverthefukthread

Unless u have a three in. lift and ATRAC+++LIFT+++32 in. tires FU thread

I do not have these mods, just want to know the RESULTS!!!!!1:notsure:

Geezus, throw me a f83in bone here!!!!!! Is ATRAC as effective with bigger tires and a lift????? If not, the ? of ATRAC/LOCKERS F/R is answered!!!!!!!!!

MY guess is that a stocK electronic trac system will FUCK up with larger tires and lift........the answer being, since it has been known since late '95, that ATRAC is Awesome, but not with lift and tires............................................

7. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    Workman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Once again, after reviewing the responces, OF

DAVID K
    WHIPPERSNATCHER02

Does ATRAC get minimized after a 3in lift and 32IN tires+??????????

THAT is the true test, IMO:cool:

IF ATRAC, cannot battle with larger tires/lifted tacomas........compared to Lockers front and rear with lift/larger tires.............what good is it "off road" as many here wont ever truly experience OFF ROAD

THen who the FUCK wants another electronic system controlling the way I DRIVE off road????????????????????????????????? Maybe MANUAL windows, locks, hubs, Floorboards are once again in our future....YES (Oh boy, a luxery tacoma.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................sweet:poking:

8. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    :eek: Calm down dude :D

9. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    the only problem ive run into so far with TRAC and 3" with 32s is the vsc kicks in way to easy... this is caused by the yaw sensor...

TRAC still works pretty good i dont notice a difference. may be because the larger tires grip better i dont notice the trac working as good or not... cant speak for atrac cause i dont have it

i do have to think that with larger tires there is much more strain on the brakes. they may not work as good as stock tires.

10. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    Wait I thought only 2009 (TRD models) and up tacomas have A-Trac......am I missing something here :confused:, cuz from your truck description it says you have an 06.

11. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    Workman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    COME THE FUCK on whippersnacher
    David K
    ECT douches

3in lift or larger/+32's+ W/ATRAC......OR nobody gives a shit on your stock trucks

Geezuz The answer will either end this huge geigh dilemma and finallh PROVE that lockers are better, or ATRAC with lift/tires is BETTER then lockers????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:crazy:OK then, NO LIFT, NO ATRAC, NO LOCKERS, GIT OFF THIS THREAD, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CEPT ME, I STARTED THE ????????????????????????????

12. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    maybe hes looking to upgrade to newer model?

13. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    hbmurphy has atrac on a lifted truck with 33s. he has atrac and a locker

as far as im concerned he ended the debate a while ago when he told me that he likes the front locker better than atrac

14. Oct 29, 2010 at 10:56 PM
    Workman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just curious how ATRAC will operate with lift/larger tires man....Yes, I have an 06 offroad, NO ATRAC here.........read original post, just wanting to know how reliable it is with larger tires/lift

If it preforms negative with larger tires/lift

Then lockers are choice.........................................IMO, arent they always preferred over a computer controlled system?

15. Oct 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    I did read your first post, I do have 2010 4x4 TRD off road, (rear locker and a-trac). It is lifted, it has 33 inch tires. I have yet to have any problems using any of the traction systems.

Please note fellow Tacomaworldlings... that I just stated that I have the rear locker and atrac and that I DID NOT say that one system (atrac) is better than the other system (front locker) :D :D and since I have never driven a vehicle with both front and rear lockers I remain neutral in the matter.... once again :D

16. Oct 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    Workman

Member:
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the input!!!!!

17. Oct 29, 2010 at 11:16 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:

umm you're welcome :confused:

haha I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not :eek:

18. Oct 29, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    Workman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Are u lifted with larger tires david???? If so, how many offroad miles have you traveled with ATRAC+lift+32'ssss+, what kinda other issues arrise???

Hellyeah I want to upgrade......once my current pickup is paid for:D(offroaded a bunch, just wanna know results...) I want to know what kinda strain it puts on OTHER functions of the pickupvsATRAC

19. Oct 30, 2010 at 1:10 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Why are you asking me to respond? Did you not understand what I said already? Is it make you feel grown up to use such a filthy mouth when you type here? When you can talk like a real adult instead of being a punk, you will find a lot of good advice and friends here. As for my responding... I did because even though my tires are 31" and no lift, it doesn't matter if you have a slightly taller tire because as long as the brakes work, A-TRAC will work... TRAC, too... AUTO LSD as well!

Anyway, why ask... everybody know front lockers are better than A-TRAC!:rolleyes:

20. Oct 30, 2010 at 1:57 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    ^^couldnt agree more.

everyone needs to chill out with these pissing matches and the OP definitely needs a prozac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top