1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Attempted break in or worse

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by rrentrop, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Nov 20, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    USDashCamera

USDashCamera Put it in H

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    It's sort of like upgrading from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 6s. Not worth upgrading if you already have the f770, but if you have neither the f770 is still a good cam if you can save some money on it.

The f770 has a sleeker form factor that hides the cable plugs, the f800 plugs don't plug in next to each other well it's sort of mind boggling that they didn't realize two cable that needed to go up into your headboard would get in each other's way if they were in line with each other.

The f800 has sightly better video quality though.

What really annoyed me though it's the f800 has an ugly silver and gray design that's very visible, then the more expensive f800 pro is all black like all dash cams should be IMHO. The pro model has cloud support, 128gb card support, and a low power parking mode option.

GPsevinSixx likes this.
  2. Nov 20, 2017 at 8:05 PM
    krzysnwbrdr

krzysnwbrdr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Masaki
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma TRD Sports DCLB
    OP, Im sorry somebody tried to tamper with your Taco.

I am interested to see how video comes out at night through the smoke in the rear.
    Can you kindly upload it? Does Thinkware F770 have infrared to help night vision?
    I am currently using a cheap dash cam in the rear with infrared supplement but sometimes it reflects and make it difficult to see.

2016Tacoman likes this.
  3. Nov 20, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    Friedtacolover

Friedtacolover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Off Road 4x4
    my build tread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/socal-no-shame-poser-build.513084/
    Code scanners is the new rage. My friend had in video someone using it to pop the doors to his brand new chevy malibu. Stold all his wives nursing gear for school etc. there out there. This guys looks pathetic. Out there praying on people.

4. Nov 20, 2017 at 9:21 PM
    Otaku1

Otaku1 Active Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport 4x4
    Well that might be how it is in Texas but here in Cali it's all f'd up. We have a shitty governor who wants these shit bags out of prison. They are getting out early daily here and the crime rates are getting worse. Just Google Prop 57 and Prop 47 and you'll see. Cops arrest but most of the time they get prosecuted and let out as time served.

Pickeledpigsfeet and readyme like this.
  5. Nov 20, 2017 at 9:28 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I always thought these newer ones were harder to steal. Especially after watching a few videos of people struggling to steal one.

Do you really just need some little scanner box and the truck is yours? It seems like that would be take a while to roll through so many different codes. But I don’t know much about the security system in these.

Looks like I might need to add a couple things to mine.

Garrett75x likes this.
  6. Nov 20, 2017 at 10:08 PM
    Garrett75x

Garrett75x Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR 4x4 JBL P&T
    Pro Grille, Shmellfab rock sliders, Carhartt seat covers
    I had a dead man switch on my 1992 Yota, might have saved the truck from being stolen, along with living on a hill with a curb.
    Thief's caught me without my alarm on one night, slim jimmed the door, and tried to coast down the hill to start it.
    Little did they know the steering wheel locked without the key, while they were coasting down the slight curve it simply wouldn't turn anymore.
    They left it locked about 6 houses down on the other side of the street with the rear drivers side tire on the curb

erok81[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 21, 2017 at 12:39 AM
    rrentrop

rrentrop [OP] TVDvinyldecals.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x2 Limited MGM
    T-Rex Billet Grille, N-Fab Steps, Tailgate decals, Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock
    When I filed the P.R. the officer was impressed with the quality of the photos and wanted to know the dash cam make and model so he could get one!

He ran the plate of the Kia. Wasn’t stolen and the owner lives in Long Beach. Do gang bangers drive new cars?

TacoCat, DrFunker, LDL and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nov 21, 2017 at 3:54 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Not usually. Well, not 'real' bangers anyway.

His looks were more hipster, high and tight, skinnies, skinny, etc.

However, kids who want to play gang banger drive mommy's new car while looking for a joy rider, which is possible your truck was headed for. As well as pilfering any loose valuables in the cab.

Or he may have built his scanner off the internet and just wanted to test it out.

Glad they got the plates. Hopefully they'll at least lean on the owner by asking lots of questions. Sometimes its possible to scare the bejeebers out of these dingwazzles.

TacoCat likes this.
  9. Nov 21, 2017 at 4:25 AM
    rrentrop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    T-Rex Billet Grille, N-Fab Steps, Tailgate decals, Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock
    The alarm sounded for about two minutes. They drove off about the time it stopped. The entire event lasted about 8 minutes.

SOSC likes this.
  10. Nov 21, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    USDashCamera

USDashCamera Put it in H

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    thinkware offers an IR camera but it is for recording inside the car. Any IR shining out the window will just reflect and not really work. I have asked why there arent any sort of exterior IR lights for this purpose and someone brought up the fact that IR often shows up as a red light and that would be illegal to be shining forward on your car. Some better IR lights might not but maybe only really expensive ones don't show up as red to the human eye.

11. Nov 21, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    LivinOnEdge

LivinOnEdge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Land of The Lost
    Vehicle:
    Four wheels and a refrigerator
    So can the PD go knock on the door of these people or do they have to wait until they break more stuff?

12. Nov 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry for your trouble OP. Subd for the inevitable arrest info.

13. Nov 21, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    rrentrop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Fortunately it was very minor. We were able to McGyver the hood sensor by jumping it with a paper clip (The hour drive home with the beeping would have been unbearable!). Once home I was able to splice the wires back together. The clip the attaches the connector to the spar was broken, but a couple of zip ties fixed that.

I think this is what they tried: First they hooked the horn wire through the grille (it's really easy to see behind the grille) and yank it out of the connector to the horn to silence the alarm when the hood is popped. Then they tried to hook the hood cable a yank that really hard, but they hooked the sensor wire instead (it is tucked up right next to the hood release cable) and broke it. That triggered the alarm and the honking via the second horn. They were probably startled by the alarm since they thought they disabled the horn so they left.

The horns are redundant, in that both the horn button on the steering wheel and alarm active both horns. When the first horn was unplugged the second horn was still activated by the steering wheel. I think Toyota did a nice job protecting the hood release cable into the latch and running the sensor wire right next to it, making it very difficult to hook the cable without also hooking the sensor wire.

In any event I hold little hope that I will hear anything further about this turdhole, but I did post his picture on the Long Beach Crime Watch FB page for all the see.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  14. Nov 21, 2017 at 9:22 AM
    Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Skinny little shit was just looking for a sammich.

rrentrop[OP] likes this.
  15. Nov 21, 2017 at 9:31 AM
    PoppinCorks

PoppinCorks Well-Known Member

Member:
    debating on this or a new alarm...

16. Nov 21, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    rrentrop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    I think all alarm systems should include cameras.

17. Nov 21, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    Owners manual pages about the factory alarm. I didn't know how it worked either until just now:
    Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 10.34.04.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 10.34.14.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 10.34.23.jpg

18. Nov 21, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    USDashCamera

USDashCamera Put it in H

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    If anyone is interested, I have a coupon code for $10 off (its $10 CAD but still is about $8 US) off any orders over $80 from blackboxmycar: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/thinkware Just use the code "USDASH" and the shipping is free to the US on orders like that too I believe. they are one of the main Amazon sellers too so the price is the same but the discounts are only available direct from their store.

OP uses the F770, there is also the newer F800 and F800 pro which have slightly better night time quality and few extra features.

They also have $35 off today only the new Blackvue DR750S-2CH which is another very high end camera like the F770/F800/Pro cam with similar parking mode feature:

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/colle...blackvue-dr750s-2ch?variant=52982875143&aff=3 coupon code: TODAYONLY750

Riding Dirty and rrentrop[OP] like this.
  19. Nov 21, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    Hextall

Hextall Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    I have a tangential question regarding your dashcam... Can you completely turn off the voice in the F770? I have no interest in having it speak to me about how many motions detections in parking mode it recorded, or anythign like that. But I can't seem to verify that it's completely shutoff-able.

And, add me to the list of folks that this thread has convinced to get a dashcam.

readyme likes this.
  20. Nov 21, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    rrentrop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    I am fairly certain you can mute it completely.

over60 and Hextall[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top