1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Attn: Imported Canadian Tacoma Owners

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by phat_ride_69, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    phat_ride_69

phat_ride_69 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DCLB w/ JBL
    Westin Bull Bar with KC off road lamps, Nfab step bars, 5100's All Around, 1" Rear Spacer, 77 Series K&N Polished Intake,
    I just had a question for all the Tacoma owners who have imported their trucks from the US. With the Canadian $ approaching par with US $, I have been thinking more and more about importing one from the US, as it is ~$42,000 CAD for a MGM Double Cab Sport 4x4 Long Box and that will be ~$32,000 CAD if I import from the US.
    I was wondering if anyone has imported from the US, I'm planning on getting my friend to buy it, as they will not sell a brand new truck to a Canadian for Export and to sell it to me before registering it as I will save paying state taxes.
    Anyone who has purchased a truck from the US and brought it to Canada had any problems with having TSBs or warranty work at dealerships here??
    Any advice or tips appreciated!!

Thanks.

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:36 AM
    nxtruck

nxtruck Member

Member:
    I have a friend that imports cars into Canada, the only thing I know of is it takes ~1 week for the paperwork to clear, and they may need to keep the car during that time.

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:04 AM
    harvick29

harvick29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought the exact same truck, and paid roughly 37,000 with a bunch of accesories, might want to hangle some more with them, If yu can;t get one from US

4. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Check out www.riv.ca... It describes the import process. You'll probably need to add daytime running lights. I don't know about warranty work in Canada for a US vehicle.

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    No problem here :) I saved big time and have had no issues with my local dealer honoring TSBs. Make sure you can get a recall clearance letter from Toyota before you do anything.

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:16 AM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I bought my truck from the US brand new. I found a dealer that was willing to sell to Canadians.

It really was easy, I had it fully licenced and plated less then 4 hours after crossing the border (I live near Toronto so the RIV office is close to me).

I have had absolutely no issues with warranty, TSB's or anything like that.

I saved close to $13,000.00 vs buying it in Canada, well worth my 4 hours of time.

My friend also bought a Nissan Altima at the same time, he saved almost $11,000.00.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shawn

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:30 AM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Below is a step by step list I made up for another friend who also bought an Audi from the States.

I'm not sure where you live, so some of the phone number may not be applicable. I crossed at the Queenston Lewiston Bridge near Niagra Falls.

Again let me know if you have any questions.

Shawn.

Websites:
    Registrar of Imported Vehicle:
    - www.riv.ca
    - Make sure your car/truck is on the admissible list.
    - I would also email and ask specifically if the car you want is admissible. Save any correspondence.

Automotive Protection Agency:
    -www.apa.ca
    -Gives warranty information. (i.e. Toyota’s warranty is valid if imported to Canada, Honda is NOT)

Cars without Borders
    -www.carswithoutborders.com
    -Great site, gives tones of information.

Step 1: Once vehicle is found, make sure that the dealer faxes you the Certificate of Origin (basically the ownership of the new vehicle).

Step 2: Fax the C of O to the border (716-285-3565). This must be done at least 72 hours in advance. Ensure that you keep the fax confirmation page generated from the fax machine. This will be your only proof if you get to the border and they can’t find your C of O. See attached.

Step 3: Contact the border to ensure they received your fax (716 282 1500 ext. 3 I think). You can only leave a message. They will call you back in a couple of days. You just have to give them your VIN # and phone number. I left 3 messages over 3 days with 2 different call back phone numbers. The person called me 3 times not even realizing that she was looking up the same VIN number or calling the same phone number or talking to the same person.

Step 4: Get the “Recall Clearance Letter” from the dealer. This letter has very specific requirements. It must be on dealer letterhead and/or have the dealers stamp as well as have “this vehicle has no outstanding recalls” noted on it. See attached.

Step 5: Get a US bank draft from your bank. I opened a U.S. account (for free) then transferred money from my regular account to the US account then purchased the US bank draft. Apparently the exchange is better if you transfer money into a US account, the buy the US draft, as opposed to buying a US draft from a Canadian account. Even if it’s only like 0.25% better you are talking $75 on $30,000. I emailed a copy of the bank draft to the dealer just to make sure there were no issues

Step 6: Make sure you arrange for insurance with your insurance company. Make sure they provide you with a copy of your slip.

Step 7: Go pick up your new van, make sure you get the C of O from the dealer. The dealer didn’t really seem to know much, but they called me on the way home and said they needed the C of O back (apparently they forgot to sign it, and they wanted to send it to the Pennsylvania DMV). You need this C of O, don’t leave without it. Make sure they sign it and that you have the original. Make sure they give you a 30 day temp. Permit (License plate) so you can drive back.

Step 8: You can only cross the border M-F 8:00am to 4pm. When you cross BEFORE the Canadian Customs booth (right before the Toll both) you have to go the US customs building. You have to drive across 5 lanes of traffic to get to the building. You go through the red door to the Vehicle export office. They will look up to see if you faxed in your C of O. Then they might come out and look at your van to make sure the VIN is OK. Then they will stamp you C of O.

Step 9: Go to the Canadian customs booth. Tell them that you are importing a car. They will direct you to a building on the left. When you go in you have to fill out a “Form 1” (Sorry I don’t have a copy). Make sure you check off “MPV” in the vehicle class and make sure you know the Month/Year the van was made. Show them the receipt from the dealer; they will make you pay GST on the Canadian equivalent of that amount. DO NOT pay the RIV fee at that time.

Step 10: Drive to the RIV office in Etobicoke. Give them your recall letter and “Form 1” from the border. Pay you RIV fee and they will give you the “Form 2” if everything is OK with the admissibility. It took them about 20 minutes to look over things.

Step 11: Drive to Canadian Tire (I went to the one on 407 and Bayview, they didn’t even look at my car, they just sat inside of them to fill out the paper work). They will then sign the Form 2 and fax it to the RIV. I also got an E-Test done and Safety done. The MTO that I went to said I didn’t need it, but I didn’t want to have to go back again..

Step 12: Drive to the MTO (there is one down the street from that Canadian Tire) and give them your Border Receipt, Sales Receipt, Form 1, Form 2, C of O and insurance slip. You will have to pay the PST plus license plate sticker etc.

Step 13: You are done, a few days later the RIV will send you a decal that you are supposed to put on you door beside your other VIN decal.

8. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:40 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    Comprehensive outline! Nice work. Only thing I have to add is that for the daytime running lights, before buying a 'kit', check to see if the dealer can't reflash the ECU to make these work. You may also be able to get the odometer reflashed for kilometers as opposed to miles. (varies between models so can't be certain if possible on your vehicle)

9. Mar 17, 2010 at 2:19 AM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure about the whole ECU re-flashing as I have never heard of it with regards to our Tacoma's. I've read about it with GM's etc., but the OP was asking about importing a Tacoma.

With regards to the DRL (they are a $40 option from Toyota when ordering the truck).

It is NOT just an ECU re-flash as relay's and a wiring harness must be added. My truck was on the lot and did not have DRL's. I ordered the parts a followed the below link, it took less then an hour sitting in the hotel parking lot the night I picked up my truck. See link.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315828

For the speedometer, again it is not a re-flash with the Tacoma's, you must buy a "Canadian Speedometer" (the speedometer is what converts the speed signal) which can be bought from any dealer (even in the US).
    One poster recommended TRD Part 4 U, however I called them and they indicated that they cannot sell one without installing it as they have to adjust the odometer.
    Apparently the speedometer's are simple to remove and install, however I worried about effecting the warranty by tampering with it. I may look at changing it once the warranty is finished.

You get used the the smaller Km's on the cluster, plus I mounted a Scangauge which shows my speed in Km's.

I'm not saying the the ECU cannot be re-flashed as posted above. I have just never heard of it on the Tacomas. Plus who or what dealer would be willing to do it, and for how much? I know my local dealer would have absoluelty no idea on where start, as it is something they do not normally do.

Shawn

10. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    phat_ride_69

phat_ride_69 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DCLB w/ JBL
    Westin Bull Bar with KC off road lamps, Nfab step bars, 5100's All Around, 1" Rear Spacer, 77 Series K&N Polished Intake,
    WOW...great info you guys....thanks for the detailed write up shawn. I have called around to a few of the dealers in various states and they all seem to now sell to Canadians now, what 1 guy did suggest was having a US resident purchase it for me (name on original Bill of Sale) and then for that individual to sell it to me before registering it, that way I'm not paying state tax.

This is likely the way I will go, as I haven't been able to find anyone willing to sell a brand new Tacoma to me. I am thinking about waiting until late summer so that way I if there are going to be any changes to the 2011 model (some of the posts on this site make me curious, even though I'm pretty sure its a 2012 model that will be a redesign).

Oh and I would be bringing it to the Calgary, AB area. I have brought a 3000GT for myself and an Escalade for my dad from the US, just curious how Toyota did things here.

Thanks guys....I"ll keep everyone posted on my purchase, until then I'll continue to lurk around here and if anyone knows of a Toyota dealership willing to sell to Canadians please drop me a PM or email jagd411@hotmail.com

11. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good info! Had read various related things on other forums, but sounds like you've been there and done that.

To Top