1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audio upgrade help

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by RapidQuagmireTaco, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Jul 18, 2021 at 1:26 PM
    RapidQuagmireTaco

RapidQuagmireTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC Quicksand TRD Sport 4x2
    Would any of you guys around the Atlanta or Macon area be willing to let me take a listen to your truck if you’ve done audio upgrades? I’ve been doing research to figure out what I want, but all it’s leading to is adding more speakers to the mix instead of eliminating them. All I’ve bought so far is the sub and a box from Marv.

2. Aug 3, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    You're welcome to listen to mine.

Kenwood Head unit
    Kenwood 300W amp
    JBL GX series speakers all around
    no sub
    Sound deadener mat and closed cell foam on floor and all doors. Rear wall has the deadener mat, but not the closed cell foam.
    I ran an extra RCA cable to under the passenger seat if I decided to add another amp and sub down the road while I had everything apart.

I eliminated the factory tweeter when I did the 6x9s up front. The result is turning the volume up much louder to hear the highs from the speakers in the door. I could reconnect the factory tweeter, but then the sound is just "off" to me. I've considered pulling the 6x9s and installing 6.5" component speakers, which is what I should have done from the beginning. I didn't because the 6x9s will have more bass than a 6.5. FWIW, I have not "tuned" it since upgrading the speakers. I'll get that done before I spend any additional good money.

Does your truck have the JBL system or is it the standard? If standard, my recommendation would be to install the sub and amp and see how you like it with just that added.

478DblSport likes this.
  3. Aug 3, 2021 at 8:32 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    To piggyback on @CowboyTaco's comments I can't stress how much difference the sound deadener makes.

Not being flush with money I had to upgrade my stereo system in stages. First thing I did was the sound deadener & was amazed how much better the stock system sounded. My wife, certainly not an audiophile, got in the truck & commented how much better my new speakers sounded... thing is I hadn't installed them yet. Nice to know it wasn't my own confirmation bias playing tricks on me.

My upgrades, while modest & somewhat dated now (2010), are much improved over the stock system. Upgrades include 6.5" components up front, 6.5" coax rear doors, subwoofer behind rear seat, & 5ch amp. under passenger seat. At the time I had a single DIN head unit but have since upgraded to a double DIN.

Good luck!

Hardscrabble and CowboyTaco like this.
  4. Aug 4, 2021 at 7:30 PM
    RapidQuagmireTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate the replies. I got a little impatient while I was waiting, though. Finally found a shop with a good selection and splurged. Audiofrog GS690, GS610C, GS10 up front, GS62 in the rear, 10” Kicker L7T in a Mr. Marv box, Audio Control D5.1300 with 2 stage sound deadening. I may have gotten a little out of hand

CowboyTaco likes this.
  5. Aug 12, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    TacoDash89

TacoDash89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Columbus, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma XP
    I'm wanting to do something to mine as well. I dont want to add a sub or anhthibg but mostly I'd like to upgrade the head unit.

I have the small non jbl. It had navigation but it's only drive by directions no actual map. Not to mention I have to run the app on my phone for it to even work. If I simply upgrade to say the premium factory radio(I know I'll need the larger bezel) will it be plug and play? And also will I gain all of the features of the premium?

6. Aug 12, 2021 at 8:36 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I would think so, but can't say for certain. If it were me, I'd look at aftermarket head units with wireless android auto / carplay. They'll have a higher RMS output and get more out of your OEM speakers. Some of them even offer "switch pod like" features where you can control accessories from the headunit. Heck, I'm even considering upgrading mine (again) to get those features.

7. Aug 12, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    TacoDash89

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Columbus, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma XP
    Really my only problem with going aftermarket from what I've read is... I'll loose the use of the screen in the middle of the gauge cluster. If I was understanding that correctly anyway.

8. Aug 12, 2021 at 9:18 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Really? That's news to me!

9. Aug 12, 2021 at 9:30 AM
    TacoDash89

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Columbus, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma XP
    Yeah. Apparently it's related to 2016+

10. Aug 12, 2021 at 9:39 AM
    MickDog13

MickDog13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cortland NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 Speedway Blue TRD OR DCSB
    haha, I’m sure your bank account would agree with your last sentence!

I’ve been installing and buying the end end series from kicker, alpine, Boston acoustics, etc going back to ‘98.

I’ve heard great things about audiofrog but I’ve never heard any of their gear in person.

11. Aug 15, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    RapidQuagmireTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @TacoDash89 @CowboyTaco from what I’ve read and been told, the signal from the HU can be improved with a DSP allowing you to keep it. As far as CarPlay, I’m just gonna mount an iPad mini in front of the radio and use that with USB/BT.

TacoDash89 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top