1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audio-Video Tap / Override

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by st101, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Aug 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    st101

st101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apologies if this info is already out there, but I think what I'm trying to do is unique and so have been coming up short on my searches.

I have a 2014 double cab with Entune Premium + Nav (no JBL).
    Utilizing a small computer (i.e. a Raspberry Pi), I want to be able to push video to the Head Unit LCD, and audio to the speaker system in the vehicle.

Via a toggle switch, I'd like to switch the video display to the computer instead of the radio interface (similar to how the rear-view camera switches on when in reverse). Theoretically if I do the mod to allow me to view the reverse camera at any time, I can splice into the video wire with another switch to the computer video output, right? The computer has an RCA video-out.

I'd also like to create an always-on connection from the computer to the speaker system so that at any time (even if radio is playing), I can feed audio to the speakers. The computer has a 3.5mm audio-out jack.

Can anybody tell me if either of the two objectives above are feasible? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. Aug 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Yes this could be done in theory. But getting an aftermarket HU will make this a lot easier.

3. Aug 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    st101

st101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. Easier because the inputs/outputs on an aftermarket will be easier to interface with? If you know anybody familiar with the OEM unit (or have access to the right documents/charts), I'd love to start there first.

If not, can you recommend a good HU that fits the profile of the housing on the 2014's? Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top