1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audiophile Build ( A build For Better Quality)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by zackdippolito, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Feb 7, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    zackdippolito

zackdippolito [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    zack
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5/2014 TRD Sport/2017 TRD Sport 6M
    Jesus 3 days later of software and firmware issues the bit one wouldn't finalize until we hooked it up to a windows 7 . Set the freq. For each speaker. Amps work bit one works mint. Sound is here and its time to tune then break in the speakers with a track for a whole day. Here's some pics of the amp board mounted . I was so frustrated with the power and ground in the back i forgot to take pics but this is what I got. Just happy everything works. Was originally going to go 0 gauge straight into the amps but the solid copper adapters I got were too big for the amp they bush 0 gauge to 4 gauge into the amp and it was a little too close for comfort . Plus the amps are so big and close the 0 gauge doesnt have enough enough room to make a clean bend so I split behind the amp board from 0 to 4 and same with the ground which is currently in the rear seat bracket screw. Put a few screws to hold the amp board up and she's in for good. Once she's tuned we can mount the mids so they sound amazing and see about tweeter location before making any permanent mods..... still need to clean up wires and straighten out rcas and all that good stuff

20170204_164840.jpg
    20170204_170447.jpg
    20170204_172220.jpg
    20170204_172230.jpg
    20170204_172247.jpg
    20170204_172328.jpg

EB Group likes this.
  2. Feb 8, 2017 at 9:25 PM
    zackdippolito

Member:
    First Name:
    zack
    Vehicle:
    Initial starting point settings on bit one for focal krx3
    (subject to final tweeking - but proved to be a very good starting point for sure.)

Tweets.
    Hipass 4000
    linkwitz 24db

Mids
    Bandpass 400 - 4000
    Linkwitz 24db
    Reverse phase

Doors
    Bandpass 80-400
    Linkwitz 24db

Sub
    Lowpass 80
    Linkwitz 24db

Bit one Eq
    set flat and off

Headunit tone
    Treble =0
    Mid=0
    Bass=0

All output levels on bit one set at 0

No time alignment or delay set. Everthing at 0

Mids and tweets mounted side by side firing up on dash.

Car sounds pretty damn smooth and very clear and tons of power. So far very impressed cant wait to dial in all the final adjustments.

EB Group likes this.
  3. Feb 8, 2017 at 9:27 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    That sounds awesome (no pun).
    Wondering why you didn't overlap the x-over frequencies a bit?

4. Feb 9, 2017 at 4:00 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Wondering why you would overlap frequencies? That might give you peaks you have to EQ out.

FWIW, it may be prudent to tune after the drivers are broken in. Otherwise your tune will change as they break in and get settled.

5. Feb 9, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    zackdippolito

Member:
    First Name:
    zack
    Vehicle:
    This is just a starting point like mentioned above . And then they will be overlapped and finilized. And it sound incredible to begin

EB Group likes this.
  6. Feb 9, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    zackdippolito

Member:
    First Name:
    zack
    Vehicle:
    Back panel cut to fit

IMG-20170209-WA0079.jpg
    IMG-20170209-WA0080.jpg
    IMG-20170209-WA0079.jpg

7. Feb 9, 2017 at 1:49 PM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    I'd love to give this a listen when you get it complete. You in the west end?

8. Feb 9, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    Ok understood. I can imagine you are very impressed with what it sounds like already.

9. Feb 9, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    You'll get use to it. It's tacomaworld. It's like no other forum, good or bad.

10. Feb 10, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    garyinok

garyinok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    I have been watching from the sidelines but I have to say you've built a pretty nice system. I don't know what the term would be, but I am pretty partial to the Audison stuff myself, and built a system pretty similiar to what you've got going on. I built a two way system though, but with all Hertz Mille drivers, the Audison BitOne, and a Voce' 5.1 amp (somewhere on here there is a thread). I don't chime in a lot because there are a lot of "internet experts" on here and it gets pretty old, but what you're building hit close to home so I thought I would offer up some suggestions. First off a three way system with drivers both in front and in back is going to drive you nuts. I did the same thing and ended up taking out the rear stage. Had ghosting and random frequencies bouncing all over the place, a tuning nightmare. That being said my biggest suggestion is to get it to somebody who can tune this thing professionally. I never understand dropping that kind of coin on hardware, and then taking on the tuning as a DIY project. Tuning is an art that takes a trained ear and specialized tools. Well worth paying for in the long run. On a three way system an absolute must. That system is going to be a royal pain the ass to tune.

The guy that did mine didn't spend a lot of time on the crossover points. He basically set them off frequency response curves and moved on from there. What I would say from what you posted above is that you're undercutting your midbass drivers. These are star of the show. 80-400 is taking them almost completely out of the equation, especially at a 24 db slope. A gradual slope is much easier to blend, and since you are working with four transitions a harsh slope is going to give you a choppy response. Me personally I would open up the Midbass driver as much as you possibly can and hit the majority of your frequency spectrum with the Midbass and tweeter. Use the midrange to fill in the gap, but you will probably find with that Focal driver you won't need a Midrange at all. It has more than enough range.

Well that's my two cents. I've enjoyed following along. Keep posting and good luck.

jonmartin and EB Group like this.
  11. Feb 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    Great advice.

12. Feb 10, 2017 at 3:50 PM
    zackdippolito

Member:
    First Name:
    zack
    Vehicle:
    Hood scoop painted and cleared

IMG-20170210-WA0000.jpg

13. Feb 10, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    zackdippolito

Member:
    First Name:
    zack
    Vehicle:
    I'm in Toronto not sure what you mean by west end... not a problem I see you have a 2017 white

14. Feb 10, 2017 at 6:39 PM
    zackdippolito

Member:
    First Name:
    zack
    Vehicle:
    Understood. But please keep in mind that the cross over points set have been dialed in just to get everthing running to ensure everthing is working as it should Equiptment wise. Final x over points and slopes have not been dialed in yet. Right now just wanted to get it all running and make sure all equipment is functioning. We will spend time dealing with final settings and playing around with final positioning of the tweeters and mid locations as well. Im mouting them just to hold them down. I will try it for a while then compare at different angles and positions as we continue. Nothing is final yet. Right now im just mounting things here and there trying different things out. Keep in mind we will tweek it to the best settings that sound best in the truck and in accordance to my personal taste. Thank you for all your feedback. I will keep posting as we make progress but there is still much to do till i say ok guys im done. As i said im very impressed so far. When were done with the final settings and mid and tweet positions i know it will be even nicer or fair to say as optimal as possable in a car environment with what i have. And as far as my rear speakers i only have 6s in the doors and my stage is not being pulled back or down because there are no high frequencies at the rear. so im happy with my having them their they are in parrallel to the front doors giving me a 2 ohm load at the amp on my midbass giving me a really nice kick and im very very happy with the kick im getting its exactly what i was hoping for. X over and output levels will be set accordingly to smooth everything out according to my taste. If i love it then im happy and that's what counts.
    Now back to work. Ill post my final settings and results when im done. In the mean time everyone here can continue to tune my car from all over the world without hearing it. Lets be reasonable and give me an opportunity to finish it. Tuning and finalizing takes patience and time. Its a car not a 200k theatre.

15. Feb 10, 2017 at 7:28 PM
    garyinok

garyinok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    I am certainly glad you're building the system that you want, but I should point out that you started this thread touting that you were going to build a "build for better sound quality", but you then proceded to do all the wrong things all the while getting pretty sound advice from lots of different folks who have done and know what a SQ system is about. SQ systems don't run passive, you were heading down that path. SQ systems don't run analog, most run all digital. Quality systems, and we're talking $10K and above SQ systems, run three way. Most do not and almost none run rear stage. So I don't think anybody was trying to tune your system without hearing it, I think they were trying to point you in the direction that you started the thread with.

So I stand by what I said earlier. Find a professional who knows what he's doing and not some guy from the local stereo shop. Word of mouth around the SQ circuit will point you to the right guy. I spent as much on my tuning as I did on my amp and it was worth every penny. And one last thing. Just FYI you don't tune anything with crossovers, and you don't need to need to screw around with speaker placements. You have a BitOne that can put whatever frequency you want wherever you want it. That's why they are expensive.

16. Feb 11, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    Good on you for taking on this large task.
    I'm sure you'll agree that it's fun and challenging at the same time.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I don't have it in me atm to do something like this myself.
    I have been involved in IASCA competition level audio projects in the past. I have seen some mind blowing designs and executions and have ideas for my own truck when I get around to it.
    It's amazing how much one can improve on the audio system that comes with a vehicle.
    As you've mentioned, you love what you hear so far and will love it more so as you use it and make the needed changes.
    Two thumbs up.

17. Feb 11, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    Etobicoke... yup picked up my 2017 a few months ago after my 2011 was written off.

I've built a nice simple system for my 89 but nowhere near as substantial as yours.

18. Feb 12, 2017 at 12:04 AM
    zackdippolito

Member:
    First Name:
    zack
    Vehicle:
    When I'm finished my build I'll gladly let you experience it first hand. I'm not far from etobicoke.
    follow the build and when it's complete hopefully we can make arrangement.

19. Feb 12, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    NICE!!! I'm here in Toronto myself!!!
    We should all meet up !!

20. Feb 13, 2017 at 8:16 AM
    zackdippolito

Member:
    First Name:
    zack
    Vehicle:
    Yeah we can do that when the weather gets better !

Products Discussed in

To Top