1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Austin Area TW Chapter (all gens welcome, even T4Rs; heck, just make it a Toyota and we're good)

Discussion in 'Texas' started by CaptAmerica, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:22 AM
    Sixt8kupe

Sixt8kupe TTC# 0341

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    The Great State of Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB Off-Road 6-speed - BBP
    :amen:

2. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    jmdaniel

jmdaniel Has A Well Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 1977 FJ40 Landcruiser
    So the streak continues! :rofl:

3. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    jmdaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    Absolutely. That's why I inserted the YMMV. Hell, some people waste water by putting it in a can, and selling it in the beer aisle! :rofl:

4. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:31 AM
    riz_atx

riz_atx #bigpermtaco #teamBP

Member:
    First Name:
    Sohail
    Spicewood Texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 4x4 DCLB GFC Locked, Geared, Tuned
    C4Fab/RCI/BAMF, ADS, 4.88, Lockers, OVTune
    Hahahahaha! I wish HOAs were more lenient. I am lazy and support my local enconony by hiring quality service providers to do the things I dislike. Lawn, house cleaning, and pest control come to mind immediately.

I like the choice too but HOAs are sometimes the hard asses. I know I could just live elsewhere, and I will eventually. Luckily this house is just a rental.

This is why I left the city of austin. Every voting year there is a billion dollar plus bond for this and that. Last year was for new schools in the aisd (even with declining student numbers). My kid doesn’t and won’t ever go to AISD schools and so I left the city and left the Austin tax. Bee Cave is nice in that we have a low ish tax setup for the localhome owners due to all the massive retail around. We also don’t get the same level of services austinites do.

Hahahahaha! I prefer those delicious hipster citrus ipas :anonymous:

5. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    Started collecting me pee for truck washing. Should be interesting!

6. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    jlusmc

jlusmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Huntsville, TX
    Vehicle:
    97 Reg Cab SAS
    gets the bugs off really well, works for stingy things and Bear Grylls says you can drink it too.

7. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    medjah

medjah Volleyballing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Barcelona Red DCSB SR5 TRD OR
    OME 887 Springs OME 90000 Shocks OME Dakar Light Duty Leafs Wheelers SuperBump Bumpstops w/ u-bolt flip Sway Bar relocate Red Brake Lines Ultimate Headlight Upgrade Airflow Snorkel Rear diff breather mod CMC AtTheHelm Bed Stiffeners AtTheHelm Front Rail Chock System Hood Struts
    One of the big reasons I chose to buy my house where I did was no HOA! Yes, it sucks with some things, especially people parking in front of my home. but I can deal with it.

I actually just started paying for lawn service. I enjoy doing it myself but I am too damn busy! After working, coaching, playing and the tiny bit I get for social life and my truck... I don't want to mow and edge my lot.

8. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    jmdaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    Why don't you just throw a Cars n' Coors at your house, and invite us all over? Nothing personal, but I think a few of us would show up for the chance to pee on your truck! Who said the Apocalypse needs to be a bad thing? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    ChadsPride

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LMAO!!!!
    I had a guy spit on my window back in high school after I just washed my Mustang. Let's just say he shouldn't have done that!

10. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, long legged, big tars, debadged with a hood skewp
    That would of been an instant fight the guy. Win or lose.

11. Oct 23, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    jmdaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    Our HOA is non-existent, which drives some of my neighbors nuts. The developer hired First Service to act as the HOA, and they are the largest company in that space in the country. Our neighborhood is about 100 homes, so a pimple on a gnat's butt to First Service. It's a new neighborhood, with the last of three sections just opening up, which means the residents don't have a seat on the board yet. On our NextDoor space a couple of months back, people were bitching about no response from the HOA rep, and I tried to explain all of the above to them. I then suggested what I thought would be a quick way to get the developer's attention; every homeowner place a sign in their front yard, proclaiming the no action HOA, and that the developer had hired them. Just facts, and I guarantee that a developer sitting on about 55 wooded one acre lots that he couldn't sell, due to the signs, would start to pay attention. It's clear the developer's plan is to do nothing; sell the remaining lots and get out, and I think back to the words of that famous philosopher, Mike Tyson, "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth". The signs would be a nice punch in the choppers.

Of course, because people's interest in bitching is much higher than people's interest in doing something about the topic of the bitch, nothing happened, and the HOA still sucks. A couple of the neighbors replied to my suggestion by saying, "but, but, we can't have signs in our yards!". Well, if the HOA doesn't do anything, why are you worried about them doing something about your signs? And besides, the way HOAs work, the developer would get out in front of the issue long before anyone would have gotten their 17th warning letter on a sign in the yard.

And I agree with you on Austin and the taxes; one of the more than a few reasons we moved out in '16. The token conservative on the Clowncil, Troxclair, isn't running again, and when she's replaced by a lib, it will be 11/11 in charge of your tax dollars. Nope. I'll never forget a woman who was quoted in the AAS, probably close to a decade ago, as saying, "I don't know why taxes keep going up! I mean, I vote for every bond issue that comes along!" People that stupid should never be allowed in a voting booth.

My favorite hipster ball sweat citrus IPA at present is Pinthouse Pizza's Electric Jellyfish. Simply stellar! :cheers:

12. Oct 23, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    riz_atx

riz_atx #bigpermtaco #teamBP

Member:
    First Name:
    Sohail
    Spicewood Texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 4x4 DCLB GFC Locked, Geared, Tuned
    C4Fab/RCI/BAMF, ADS, 4.88, Lockers, OVTune
    Same thing happened at my old neighborhood. The developer basically tore the company down after building our small 42 house subdivision. The HOA switched between no less than 6 companies in the 8 years i lived there. The only thing that we got was a higher bill for HOA with almost no services. No pool. No clubhouse. No playground. Just the 2 entrances and some green space in the middle.

I have only been able to vote since 2008 when I became a naturalized citizen of these here United States of AMERICA! And on every ballot in Austin, everytime, there was a damned bond proposal. Do the high schools really need 60-170 million dollar football stadiums? I could actually go on for days about this but I wont.

That electric jellyfish is one of my favorites! The stuff from Deschutes is also pretty great. Its called Freshly Squeezed iirc.

13. Oct 23, 2018 at 8:19 AM
    jmdaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
  14. Oct 23, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    jmdaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
  15. Oct 23, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    ChadsPride

Member:
    Vehicle:
  16. Oct 23, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica [OP] Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    If you can find a handful of interested homeowners, go self-managed. We're a 34 home community and 100% manage ourselves. No company. I'm the current president (to keep a Gladys Kravitz type from getting her nose into everyone's business) and we have a treasurer, secretary, and a 3 member architectural committee. Members pay $150 a year dues, and that covers taxes, insurance on common areas, mowing, and maintenance. Everyone has a copy of the deed restrictions both hard and soft copy, and regular communication reminders go out over email from an HOA email account that the president maintains. No major issues.

If we were to go managed, it would cost us an extra $100 to $150 a year for no actual difference. Every year we vote to stay self-managed, and every year I get re-elected. I have never had to threaten a fine for failure to abide by the deed restrictions. Everyone knows what they signed on to in buying here and are staying within it. Granted, some trees need to get trimmed up and folks are taking care of it as they can.

If you can get your community to rally, take the lead and take over. Fire your company, do it yourselves, save money, and actually get the changes you want made.

17. Oct 23, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    jmdaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    All good info, but that won't happen for awhile; like I said the developer, (Century Communities), just started building the homes in Phase 3, (of 3). When the neighborhood is sold out, I imagine we could look into that, but the vast majority of my neighbors are garage door up/garage door down folks that like to bitch about things much more than they like to do something about it. They also hire people to do everything just shy of wiping their butts. For example:

upload_2018-10-23_11-23-1.jpg

Ahhhh... I recommend you get a ladder? Or, buy a house with lower ceilings? Or get ear plugs, so the beeping caused by the dead battery doesn't keep you up at night?

MattCowsmasher and ChadsPride like this.
  18. Oct 23, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    :facepalm:

Side note - the news is now reporting that the boil-water notice could last another 10-14 days.

:bananadead:

19. Oct 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    jmdaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    Holy crap.

MattCowsmasher likes this.
  20. Oct 23, 2018 at 9:30 AM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    It's all a conspiracy from the bottled water industry.

Products Discussed in

To Top