1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto headlights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LonghornTaco, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Oct 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Has anyone thought about (or actually done it) installing some sort of light sensor that would automatically turn your headlights on and off based on amount of light outside? I had this on my Yukon and loved it - to the point where I would forget to turn on my lights when I got my Tacoma. So, now I just leave them on all the time...

2. Oct 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM
    TheOne

TheOne Beach Prerunner

Member:
    East Coast, nc
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Impulse red
    stock

same here I just leave the headlights and foglights on all the time, do wish there was some sort of sensor the only activate during low light situations.

3. Oct 8, 2008 at 5:51 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    There has to be someone in this community that is good enough with electronics to figure this one out... :)

4. Oct 9, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    camsbored

camsbored Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    Kenwood DNX8120, Homelink mirror, Valentine One hardwire
    The light sensor part would be pretty easy to accomplish... it's a simple circuit. The tricky part is the logic that avoids all of the gotchas. For example:

If you drive under a bridge for a few sec, you don't want them to turn on.
    If you start the truck in the dark they should come on immediately.
    If you drive through a construction zone with really bright lights you don't want them to turn off.
    If it's dusk you want them to come on at some point and stay on, not flicker as you drive through shadows.

These are all solvable situations, but requires more than a light sensor to accomplish. It could be done with a simple $10 microprocessor if someone had the time to write and test the code.

However... I found this on a Lexus forum... it might work... and under $40 too!
    http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-545T-Nite-Lite-System/dp/B000CJ24YY

5. Oct 9, 2008 at 7:35 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I used to leave mine on too, but it hurts your gas mileage. I save at least 1 MPG by keeping them off.

6. Oct 9, 2008 at 7:45 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

How does it hurt your gas mileage?

Maybe you could take one off a newer Camry... perhaps one that was wrecked... then just install it on the Tacoma. Or maybe even just buy one from a dealer. Not sure how much that would cost - but worth a shot.

7. Oct 9, 2008 at 7:54 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Everyone here already knows that the AC will hurt it, but all the major electrical loads also hurt the mileage.

8. Oct 9, 2008 at 8:16 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Yea - but why? Because of the electrical draw on the Alternator that causes the engine to work harder to replace the energy? Maybe I just answered my own question.... Hey, I'm sick at the moment - so my head isn't all that clear.

9. Oct 9, 2008 at 8:18 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I agree on all counts

10. Oct 9, 2008 at 8:28 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Cool - thanks... so back on topic... Anyone out there try to take an autolight function from a newer Camry and put it in a Taco... They are pretty close with regard to interior...

11. Oct 9, 2008 at 9:34 AM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz The illest taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    i use hid lights so i guess im increasing 1mpg since im drawing less power :) haha

Products Discussed in

To Top