1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Limited Slip Diff - what is it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Silver Seeker, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    Silver Seeker

Silver Seeker [OP] Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 w/2" lift
    Revtek 2" lift Big-O 32" tires
    Hi,

I bought a 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with an "Auto Limited Slip Diff". I thought I was buying a truck with a limited slip differential. The local Toyota dealer says "oh, that's not a limited slip differential, its a braking system in the axle, and it ISN'T MADE TO WORK IN 4WD!!!"

It certainly doesn't work like a limited slip differential - if I am four wheeling and get diagonal wheels off the ground - I'm stuck!

I really feel like I got bait and switched by the manufacturer.

Anybody else have comments or complaints on this?

cheers!

2. Mar 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You didn't get bait and switched- You didn't do your research BEFORE you bought it.

It acts like limited slip by pinching the free spinning wheels brakes. Much like the "poor man locker" using the e-brake to control traction.

3. Mar 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    :ohsnap:

Welcome to TW.

Thelgord likes this.
  4. Mar 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    :popcorn:

Welcome to TW

Thelgord likes this.
  5. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    It is way better than a real LSD believe me, I use it a whole lot up here.

6. Mar 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    Silver Seeker

Silver Seeker [OP] Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 w/2" lift
    Revtek 2" lift Big-O 32" tires
    HMM - A lot of you seem to like the system. I am probably not using it right. If I get diagonal tyres off the ground I am stuck - so in this thread where it says "Trac works like ALSD on all 4 wheels" I dont think so.. Previous vehicles with LSD would deliver power to the wheel on the ground.

I would like it to work in 4 hi at least, 4 lo also would be better
    Is there any reason one wouldnt always push the LSD button evry time they use 4WD?

7. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    1) All 2009+ Tacomas have 'TRAC' in 2WD (limited slip traction control using brakes and engine output regulation) and 'AUTO LSD' in 2WD (TRAC without engine output regulation).

2) All 2009+ Tacomas have 'TRAC' in 4WD-High... however, in 4WD there is no engine output regulation... the same as AUTO LSD is, in 2WD.

3) The TRAC can be turned off in 2WD or 4WD if you want open differentials.

4) 2009+ Tacomas 4WD LOW RANGE is open differentials only, unless you have the OFF ROAD TRD.

5) Off Road TRD 4WD Tacomas have A-TRAC and/ or a Locking Rear Differential both available in Low Range.

Here is how to use the VSC OFF SWITCH to use the TRAC system:

http://[URL=http://s213.photobucket.com/user/DavidKier/media/56f9e273-312d-4db9-b1b9-d581d738ae69.jpg.html][ATTACH=full]1658722[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]1658722[/ATTACH]

Here are the buttons, dials and lights associated with the traction controls in an Off Road 4WD Tacoma:

The lights are different... So, I just took some photos so we all can see. Let's go through the levels of traction activation and see what it all looks like:

[ATTACH=full]1658723[/ATTACH]

Normal dial position for paved roads or where traction assistance of 4WD (four wheel drive) is not needed.

[ATTACH=full]1658724[/ATTACH]

The lower switch, next to mirror controls (car with skid lines below) is the VSC OFF switch. This also activates AUTO LSD when in 2WD with a quick push. Auto LSD is traction control without the engine output regulated.

[ATTACH=full]1658725[/ATTACH]

This is what comes on with AUTO LSD active. The VSC OFF light goes out above 30 mph.

[ATTACH=full]1658726[/ATTACH]

If you stop the truck and hold down the VSC OFF switch for 3+ seconds, VSC and TRAC both turn off for open differential(s) in H2 or H4.

[ATTACH=full]1658727[/ATTACH]

Go into H4 (4WD High Range) from 0-60 mph if you need more traction because of poor conditions or off highway needs.

[ATTACH=full]1658728[/ATTACH]

This is the 4WD High Range indicator light... two differentials and 4 tires. TRAC in H4 has no engine regulation, the same as AUTO LSD in H2.

[ATTACH=full]1658729[/ATTACH]

For more torque to power through deep snow or mud or to climb up or down steep grades, stop truck, put tranny into N (Neutral, not Park), and rotate dial to L4.

[ATTACH=full]1658730[/ATTACH]

Low Range 4WD indicator light. VSC goes off in L4 and both differentails are open.

[ATTACH=full]1658731[/ATTACH]

If your 4WD Tacoma is an '09 + Off Road TRD, you have 'Active Traction Control' (A-TRAC) that provides the 'brake-locking' of any non-traction (spinning) tires front or rear for tractor like crawling/ climbing. Gives traction control while in low range. Push this switch just once when in L4 and A-TRAC will activate when-ever needed to keep moving while in L4.

[ATTACH=full]1658732[/ATTACH]

A-TRAC activated light.

REAR LOCKER:

[ATTACH=full]1658734[/ATTACH]

As Toyota states, use only as a last resort and turn off when out of trouble.

[ATTACH=full]1658724[/ATTACH]

While in L4 (for 4WD Tacomas), press the RR DIFF LOCK switch. (I engaged it twice today while stopped)

[ATTACH=full]1658735[/ATTACH]

The Rear Differential Lock indicator is the x'ed rear differential image. If it doesn't engage, or if it is pressed while in H4 or H2 (for 4WD Tacomas) it will BLINK! Remember, when locked there is no differential action to allow the tires to rotate at different speeds, as needed when turning.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  8. Mar 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    I have a sr5 4x4 so I do not have a locker or atrac all I have is auto lsd and vsc. was not at all thrilled with this system so I went with a trutrac from detroit and run with the auto lsd off. this works great for me

9. Mar 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Normal everyday driving... open differentials or TRAC in 2WD will get you moving.

AUTO LSD is primarily a tool for 2WD Tacomas to have a stronger limited slip. Those of us with 4x4s, just rotate the dial into H4 and we are gold.

If you are 2WD only, or just want to play in 2WD only... then when you push the button and turn on AUTO LSD you will have more power at take offs... more of a posi-traction experience...

10. Mar 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wait so what is the difference between having the A-TRAC (TRD Off-Road) vs just TRAC (for Non-TRD)??

11. Mar 10, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    myname150

Member:
    So a Non-TRD 4x4 model just pretty much has a "cheaper" A-TRAC system?

12. Mar 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I hope those who complain about all my A-TRAC info posts will see that there will always be new folks or those who have not read old posts that explain it well....

Now, for myname 150:

Not 'cheaper' but just more like limited slip... where as A-TRAC is more like lockers in what they do and when you use them.

1) All Tacomas have 'TRAC' in H2 (limited slip with enginge regulation) and 'AUTO LSD' in H2 (limited slip without engine regulation).

2) All 4WD Tacomas have 'TRAC' in H4 for a limited slip (but is without engine regulation, same as 'AUTO LSD').

3) All 4WD Tacomas have no TRAC in L4 for open differentials only.

4) Only 4WD Off Road Tacomas have a hydraulic brake booster for stronger 'TRAC' (limited slip in H2 and H4) and for the A-TRAC.

5) Only 4WD Off Road Tacomas have A-TRAC in L4 for locker-like limited slip traction control.

6) Only Off Road Tacomas (2WD or 4WD) have a locking rear differential.

Please read my link to A-TRAC info. below for more details.

SAR Taco and Timbuktu like this.
  13. Mar 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Should point out also, that TRAC on 09+ can be used in 4LO if you do the yellow wire mod.

raco.the.taco likes this.
  14. Mar 10, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    GeoTaco1

GeoTaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    I usually stay in 4H in sand, buts lets say I have to go up a steep sand hill. What is my best set up?:confused:

15. Mar 10, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    GeoTaco1

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    I assume 4H will minimize tire digging into the sand, unlike 4L. But I can't lock the differential in 4H if I get stuck.

Hopefully I can go in R to get un-stuck, then I can try 4L and lock the diffs?

16. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    GeoTaco1

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    driving is the opposite of most off road conditions, because we dont want to dig in to get un-stuck. And going up-hill in sand must be the toughest condition type.

I am going to try it so I can feel the difference soon:

1. Try up hill in 4H, if stuck, shift it in 4L and lock it, but it may not go
    into 4L, thus I will have to Reverse back out

2. Try putting it in 4L with ATRACK on

3. Try 2WD with Auto LSD

Any other suggestions?

17. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock

the trick is to give it more gas...

It is automatically on in 4hi. not on in 4lo

the more gas given, the harder the brakes grab and is actually stronger than a mechanical lsd.

18. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    myname150

Member:
    Thanks Buddy :)

19. Mar 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    No problema!

As for sand... H4 with TRAC is the best choice... If the sand is so loose you start to bog down, stop and DEFLATE TIRES to 15 psi and as much as 10 psi... You will be able to motor on out.

If you do bury the truck because you got excited when it stopped moving forward... A-TRAC works at extracting it out... At the very worse, you will need to remove all sand from in front of the tires and differentials so that nothing prevents you from rolling forward with minimal horsepower.

Standard modes (TRAC) in H2 and H4, and A-TRAC always on in L4, works for most of your driving needs.

20. Mar 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    GeoTaco1

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road

I have driven it on sand in H4 with no issues.
    But there are some area I have to climb up about 40 degree incline. I have seen manyguys burry themselves, including my Jeep. So my real question is, is L4 with A-TRACK Pressed better than H4 (which has TRAC)?
    Or should I try first H4 and see if I can get up the hill, otherwise back up and try in L4 with a_TRAC? I assume I should not have to lock the differentials in sand?

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top