1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

auto LSD- what is the point?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by stan powers, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Mar 18, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    FYI... auto lsd is the same action as trac. Trac is technically auto lsd and vsc.

mode 1 in your sig is slightly incorect. When the truck is in normal mode when you first turn it on without pushing any buttons the vsc is on however the rear lsd is not active. without pushing any buttons the rear diff is same a being open. (no brake input) When you push the button for auto lsd you turn vsc off until you reach 35mph then the vsc turns back on and you have TRAC. TRAC is always on in 4hi unless you press and hold the button.

2. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Yoytoda, We had this lengthy discussion in another thread about whether TRAC could be considered a form of limited slip. I argued that it was not, however, after hearing all the discussion about it, I don't think its necessarily wrong to consider TRAC a from of limited slip.

To be very clear, we all know TRAC is not LSD, but we have to consider that the traction system does its job and will brake a slipping wheel, therefore one could say that its a from of LSD, its just not LSD.

3. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    ofrd4fun

ofrd4fun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4
    FJ Cruiser wheels, air bags, 5100's @1.75, TC UCA's, bi-xenon HID's
    According to the Toyota Canada website the off-road package is only available in the access cab not the double-cab shortbox or long. I love my truck but it's a pisser that Toyota really limits what options are available in Canada. The trucks are assembled in the same plants!!!!!!

4. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Trac is just auto LSD combined with vsc. Im not saying trac isnt lsd im saying trac is more than lsd, it has vsc on too. in david ks sig his first mode says

"2WD: VSC and TRAC active, 'Vehicle Stability Contro'l and 'Traction Control' (Limited Slip Diff.)."

Im just saying that normally in 2wd, lsd is not active. therefore trac isnt active.

The two systems are auto lsd and vsc. when they are both active Toyota calls it trac.

5. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Whats more stupid is they make Regular cab tacomas in fremont CA but 4x4 reg cabs cant be bought from cali. I had to buy mine in ny and the plate on the door says the truck is from fremont. Made right here but you cant even order one...stupid

6. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hmmmm... I got those modes from factory sheets and personal trials and 3+ months reading TW.

AUTO LSD (from my understanding) is a stronger, faster acting LSD than TRAC... in the same manner that A-TRAC is a stronger, faster acting LSD than TRAC.

Let's review so the data is correct...

ToyotaDriveModes_87a25c97113b2b3243b6cbfa56f7f0ee87901e15.jpg

[​IMG]

Okay, as I read this NORMAL mode is TRAC ON (H2 and H4). TRAC is LSD using brake control, and only if the VSC button is pushed is TRAC turned off to either have AUTO LSD (quick push, H2 only) or Open Differntials (hold down 3+ seconds, H2 or H4).

TRAC and AUTO LSD are different functions, one is turned off so the other can turn on. AUTO LSD is a stonger form of LSD than TRAC...

In H4, there is no engine output regulation for TRAC, only brake control.

Review your data and let me know if the sheets are in error... I have found a big difference between TRAC ON (normal) and VSC OFF & TRAC OFF starting the truck from a stoplight and making a turn. When VSC & TRAC are OFF... the truck will fishtail if gassed, like my previous two Tacomas did. In the NORMAL (TRAC and VSC ON) mode, the truck may spin just a tiny bit, then the LSD takes over... big difference.

Thanks Yoytoda!

7. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    I just knew David would be jumping into this thread:p

Go get umm!! haha

8. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    I dont know if base models are different... as you know your trd offroad has a couple more buttons than my truck. I know that in normal mode, if i stomp on the gas, one wheels spins and then the throttle gets chopped. in snow, only one wheel spins until i press vsc off button. then auto lsd kick on the both rear wheels spin but still with throttle intervension

9. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    in the data sheet you provided it says in small print that vsc can not be turned off in 4lo however, i know for a fact that vsc auto lsd and trac are all off in 4lo

10. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    In my sig. it starts with:

2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4WD DC with 9 drive modes (using VSC Off, A-TRAC & RR Diff Lock switches):

So, if your don't have a 2009 or newer 4WD OFF ROAD TRD, you may not have the 9 modes... I only use 3, except when seeing how they all work...

in H2, TRAC & VSC ON (Normal),

in H4 also TRAC & VSC ON (Normal),

in L4 I always have A-TRAC on (unreal 4 wheel drive).

I am trying to find a situation where the Rear Locker will ever add to what A-TRAC does... So, I will not engage the rear locker unless A-TRAC fails to get me somewhere or out of a 'stuck'.

11. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

YES, that is correct you can not turn it off... because it is already off!

12. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    The Toyota manual and sheets are poorly worded and written, and that is why all this confusion!

13. Mar 18, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Actually there was a time i went offroading with some of the extreme guys and one guy was locked front and rear and couldnt make it up this one section... he turned the lockers off and used atrac and made it. atrac seems to be smoother and smart!!! thebrake system seems to allow the wheels to spin at slightly different speeds allowing for optimum traction. The way i look at it is if your locked and one wheel has to ride over a large rock it has to spin faster than the wheel on flat ground (more distance to travel) if your locked the wheel on flat surface will spin faster and cause slightly less traction. atrac the wheels can travel at slightly different speeds as long as both wheels have traction. toyota has it down...

14. Mar 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    You all have proved one thing for sure.... salesman don't know shit about the products they are selling. Had I found this site before my purchase probably would have went a different direction, those guys should just have a TW card to hand out, would make for a lot happier customers IMO.

15. Mar 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Now this thread is getting great! whippersnapper, tegdog, and Yoytoda... GREAT ADDITIONS!

Oh, tegdog... when I got my '10, I was already sold on having the Off Road TRD, as it would be my third... so, there was no need to sell me on the features... I didn't know they were even on the truck! LOL

The assistant to my salesman did the checkout with me, and could not very well explain the VSC and A-TRAC buttons, the manual was no help either... That stuff I had to learn on my own... thanks to TW and then going to the desert and Baja as soon as I could!

16. Mar 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Okay.

As a general statement, I'm not trying to win any arguments here, just further my understanding.

With regards to the above quoted text, I agree that in normal mode LSD is not active.

A point of clarification: TRAC itself is not a mode of operation--its a technology developed by BOSCH and licensed to Toyota. TRAC-OFF is a mode of operation.

My understanding was that when the truck starts up and in 2WD, TRAC and VSC are both active.

I know from personal experience that while in 2WD Normal that TRAC will brake a spinning wheel. (I tried to do donuts in the dirt.)

Part of the problem is that Toyota itself writes contradictory statements. Look at this quote from some of their technical documentation:
    ^If the VSC OFF Switch is pushed to enter TRAC-OFF mode thus enabling AUTO-LSD, then how the hell, is Auto-LSD using TRAC?

After reading the above statements, one could agree that TRAC-Off mode (Auto-LSD), TRAC is indeed enabled. This sounds absolutely ridiculous.

More Toyota technical statements:
    [​IMG]

The Toyota technical documentation below seems to me to be contradictory to the Toyota statements above.

MODES_of_operation_6dd30f1f2ce2f31db6be0e9411c13bafa93bdfcd.jpg

Other opinions?

17. Mar 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Hi Crom,

VSC is from Bosch and it uses TRAC (along with the many other sensors and things).

TRAC is LSD 'LITE' and AUTO LSD is LSD 'HEAVY'... TRAC gradually builds up and takes torque away from a loose wheel as it senses slippage. AUTO LSD is almost an instant torque transfer.

TRAC uses a vacuum booster to control brakes and AUTO LSD uses a hydraulic booster to control brakes.

Perhaps what Yoytoda was experiencing in that as you begin to move, the differential is briefly open, but will very soon take control if tires loose traction. IF TRAC is turned off (AUTO LSD ON), then the LSD is immediate to help you move from a stop and if one tire is slipping...

18. Mar 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    dw77x

dw77x Those are not my pants

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    5100's all 4 corners (front at 2.5"), rear tsb springs with 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's
    Sad but very true. . .after my third bs sounding answer, I quit asking. Why design and build all these cool "truck" features if only a small percentage of the customers actually know what they are or how they work?

I have two co-workers that just bought 2010 Tacomas. I started to explain some of these features and they looked at me like I was on ludes. They told me "no the dealer said bla bla bla" I guess we are the lucky ones.

19. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    TRAC is on in normal mode. TRAC has 2 modes, 1 with throttle intervention, 1 without. So you are both correct. TRAC has a limited slip effect, more pronounced when it is not limiting engine output.
    Auto LSD is TRAC without the throttle intervention. No difference in the algorithms at all. Operating in 2WD or 4.

20. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Here's a another point.... Does TRAC function the same on Sport models as it does on Off Road models?
    No, but why not?......
    Anybody.......

And no plagiarizing the correct answer David!

Products Discussed in

To Top