1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

auto shop quote really high and thinks i need more parts before lifting

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RiverToy, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Sep 18, 2016 at 10:18 PM
    RiverToy

RiverToy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    S.W.Mo/N.Ar.
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road SR5
    Yakima Kayak Rack Mount to bedrail, hardwired xm, GPS, & radar detector, installed mp3 jack on stock radio
    finally finished AAL's. wasn't bad at all. and got more lift than expected, supposed to get 1.5" to 2" depending on leaf condition. I got just over 2.5"
    I'm guessing it's because my leafs are new. Now since I got that extra lift on rear, I'm wondering if it's ok to leave the 5100's on the 1st. groove up ( .80" lift) where they are now, when I put the 885's on, to help level up front with rear? I don't mind the rear being a little higher if I should set struts at 0, but want it leveled or close to it if I can.
    Hopefully I can do the front tomorrow, can't wait to see how it looks. coming on here has really made it possible for me to do this. from all the help on this thread, to all the "how to" threads and seeing what others taco's look like with the set up I liked and wanted to do. I hope I'm faster on the front than I was with the rear, but will keep at it all day if i have to.

Still unsure whether or not to add diff drop. I guess you just have to go one way or the other depending on where you drive or how much off roading you do..... will keep reading about it and decide. gonna leave it off til I learn more

2. Sep 18, 2016 at 10:28 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    With 885's leave the 5100 at 0.

I've been running for 4 years with no diff drop and not the first problem. The lift will settle some after it's on with the weight on it for a bit.

3. Sep 18, 2016 at 11:01 PM
    RiverToy

Member:
    S.W.Mo/N.Ar.
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road SR5
    Yakima Kayak Rack Mount to bedrail, hardwired xm, GPS, & radar detector, installed mp3 jack on stock radio
    thanks. i'll put'em at 0

4. Sep 18, 2016 at 11:21 PM
    TacoMan33

TacoMan33 The little idiot that could

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner 4.0 V6 SR5 ACLB
    JBA C/B | Apline door speakers | Kenwood radio
    You have what you need. Go save yourself $600 and do it yourself. Or at least go to a guy who isnt trying to get you to buy more parts. Just my two cents

5. Sep 19, 2016 at 3:42 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Yep, x2 for leaving the setting at 0.

6. Sep 21, 2016 at 7:01 AM
    RiverToy

Member:
    S.W.Mo/N.Ar.
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road SR5
    Thanks to you guys, I got it done and did it all myself. My only trouble was getting the lugnuts off that the toyota dealer had put on way too tight. the front wheels were the worst. I was standing on a 17" breaker bar trying to get them to spin off and had to bounce on it to get it started. 2 lugnuts took special tools at the tire shop to get off.
    But.... once I got the nuts off, the rest went smoothly and pretty darn easy with all the new frame parts.
    I used chris 4x4's AAL install thread on here for the leafs. and watched youtube videos by milkcrate82 on how to remove tacoma struts and coil without a compressor
    ( Part 1 Toyota Tacoma Struts Install | No Spring Compressor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E6u7dC7EHg )
    and I think that way is safer and quicker than how the shops do it. the coils decompressed slowly and easily. it cant be done any easier, just remove 3 nuts, loosen LCA bolts and drop it down with floorjack and remove bottom strut bolt and the strut and coil just slides right out. If I can do it anyone can ! and I'm an old man with a weak arm on one side due to artificial elbow.
    Now, I gotta go pick up new lugnuts, then have it aligned later. I will try and post some pics later, but it's still pretty plain looking, nothing fancy on it like a lot of your taco's I have seen on here. been spending extra money lately, buying AR15 parts ( another 1st time build ) and it is a tackdriver!
    Thanks again for pushing me into doing it myself, I had plenty of doubt going through me for days, before getting the nerve up to do it.

Arailt likes this.
  7. Sep 21, 2016 at 7:23 AM
    RiverToy

Member:
    S.W.Mo/N.Ar.
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road SR5
    oopps, thought i was just adding the youtube link, didnt know it would put video up here?

8. Sep 21, 2016 at 2:52 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    HELL YEAH MAN. I'm so glad you did it yourself!! I told you that method was a cake walk. Congrats on the smooth install.

9. Sep 21, 2016 at 4:46 PM
    RiverToy

Member:
    S.W.Mo/N.Ar.
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road SR5
    Thankx EATSLEEPTACOS , your words of encouragement, And knowing you had been through this with the same coils on your truck is what finally pushed me to do it. I'm glad your on here and quick to help and answer questions.
    I kept talking myself out of it, then mad at myself for talking myself out of it. and finally decided I might as well just do it. ( and I don't want to pay that much to people who dont sound like they know what they are doing.) Why pay for idiots when I'm already here and free! the coil decompression part is only scary until you do it. then it slowly and safely drops right down and I couldn't believe how quick and easy that way is.

I'm still up in the air about the diff drop. Logic tells me that if you lift and change the angles, you should drop the diff down to get back to or close to factory numbers.
    I'm not as brave as I used to be when wheeling ( or just smart enough to stay away from trouble spots) so I don't think it would hurt to have it on since I hardly ever find myself doing hard trails ( & never on purpose ). not sure if i understand it yet or not, but it's only con, seems to be when offroading. but weird that those who havent put it on don't have premature wear or problems?
    I can't get it aligned until friday morning, taking it to the only offroad parts and service store in the area since they do lifted trucks all the time and know their stuff. ( I hope )

10. Sep 21, 2016 at 5:06 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    What you could always do is throw it on and see for yourself just how much of a difference it makes! It's really easy and can come on and off in about 20 minutes. That'd be my recommendation to see if you want it or not.

11. Sep 21, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    Pabloeeto

Pabloeeto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    K&N filter, 3.5 Aux input mod, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, Fox 2.0 Resi Shocks, Element UCAs, Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf pack.
    not sure if you have one or not, but a Cordless impact wrench will do wonders for suspension work. I've always used hand tools but my Craftsman C3 saves me time, energy and busted knuckles.

*edit
    Just read you completed it, good job man.

12. Sep 21, 2016 at 5:46 PM
    RiverToy

Member:
    S.W.Mo/N.Ar.
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road SR5
    I tried to put it on just now but cannot get the nuts to bust loose. and my impact quit working last night on last nut I had to take off to remove coils. wish I had it now!
    I slid a 20" cheater bar over my 17" breaker bar and it didn't budge
    it's an air impact and I'm hoping it just needs a new seal or gasket or?? not even sure if I can get parts for it, it was my grandfathers and has lasted a long long time.
    seem to have an air leak and wouldn't spin anymore. I might have alignment shop throw diff drop spacers on before doing the alignment friday morning, or go on to the next town that has a harbor freight and get a new impact. I like my air one, but tempted to try the electric (corded) kind.

13. Sep 21, 2016 at 6:10 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    That sucks!! Mine came right off. Don't worry about doing it before alignment though. It won't mess with the specs at all. It took me a couple weeks to finally get mine installed.

14. Sep 22, 2016 at 2:19 PM
    Pabloeeto

Pabloeeto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    K&N filter, 3.5 Aux input mod, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, Fox 2.0 Resi Shocks, Element UCAs, Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf pack.
    That sucks, i know a lot of the higher end impact wrenches have rebuild kits (ingersoll Rand, Snap-on, Chicago Pneumatic etc). I have the corded 1/2 impact wrench from HF too and it's okay but kinda Meh, the cordless 1/2 has more torque. I've also heard good things about the HF Earthquake pneumatic impact.

15. Sep 25, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    RiverToy

Member:
    S.W.Mo/N.Ar.
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road SR5
    good news.... I sprayed the diff nuts 4 times in a day and let them soak. then tried again with my hand tools and got them to break free. So I was able to put the diff drop spacers in the night before getting it aligned. I have since driven it 350 miles and it drives great. I didn't notice any difference after installing the diff drops, but not sure if i would or not.
    and I'm still too busy to go down to Arkansas and do a little off roading, but hope to soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top