1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Tran Faliure due to Radiator Fail?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Crusher 2, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  2. Sep 7, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    Crusher 2

Crusher 2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Virginia
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB, SR5, Cavalry Blue, mostly stock
    OP here with a quick update.... I'm out about 2500 miles from the transmission rebuild and still going strong. Only issue thus far, and I'm not certain it is related to the transmission job, is two occasions when the truck would not crank. Not sure if neutral/park safety switch was the issue or not. It eventually turned over with no problem.

Cheers!

3. Sep 8, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I have been reading about this on other forums. It becomes somewhat common with patterns on certain vehicles and brands.

FWIW, this is the dreaded Strawberry Milkshake if you search the internet.

Even though my truck has around 25k miles, I'm pretty certain I'll go 100% external cooler and use the existing trans cooler for a power steering cooler.

PK

4. Dec 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    canucktacoma

canucktacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    gta area, ontario canada
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    have an 08 4sp auto,is way to tell which model or is problem on both?

5. Dec 6, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Without the radiator cooler, the trans will shift poorly till it warms up. It brings the trans up to operating temp faster.
    It will probably be fine in the summer, in Florida. Don't go north:p

6. Dec 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    This kind of stuff happens. I don't believe there have been enough cases on the Tacomas to support everyone worrying right now. Keep an eye on the overflow when you check your oil and and open the radiator cap when the engine is cold from time to time. If you spot something that looks delicious but smells funky, then take action. With the volume of these trucks being sold, there will be some mechanical issues(doesn't make it ok). I have seen 1 GX470 that was starting to swap coolant with transmission fluid, and not one since. It was caught in time and the appropriate fluids were flushed.

7. Dec 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.

Wondering this as well i have the 4cyl 4 speed auto, This issue isolated to the 5speed auto ONLY?

8. Dec 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    This makes me challenge the standard practice of routing transmission fluid through the engine radiator at all. An automatic transmission generates its own heat. With B&M's or Hayden's LPD(low pressure drop) transmission coolers available today, or Tru-Cools thermal bypass, I am thinking real hard on bypassing the radiator alltogether and using a larger transmission cooler than would be typically called for.

9. Dec 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    canucktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    gta area, ontario canada
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    is the problem with towing setups.possibly pushing under sized rads,as you alluded to,i can remember when a 3 core rad was quite common,the external cooler is still a good bet,i have a standard 4spd auto/4cyl no tow pkg,although i would like to add a tow setup for occasional use with a small utility trailer.

10. Dec 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    canucktacoma, As far as the contamination goes, the problem is cheaply made radiators that develop a leak inside. The 3 core radiator you mentioned was probably a brass and copper radiator, not the aluminum and plastic of today. The transmission coolers today are made better than the radiators.

An auxillary transmission cooler would be recommended for your purpose. Whether you choose to use a small cooler and the radiator together in series or go with a dedicated larger dedicated cooler is your decision.

11. Dec 8, 2012 at 5:01 AM
    canucktacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    gta area, ontario canada
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    wolftree,,any better after markt rads or just keep replacing/modify oem models.

12. Dec 8, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    canuck, I am not finding any what I would call quality after market radiators for 2nd generation Tacomas. There seem to be some available for 1st generation.

13. Dec 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Does anyone know what size line / hose Toyota uses for their transmission to cooler / radiator lines? I want to start assemblying the parts to install a cooler and remote filter and do away with the radfiator connection alltogether.

14. Dec 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.

The hoses are 10mm but 3/8" works fine.

I have already mounted the remote filter and have been running it for a while.

My truck has the oem aux cooler / towing package. With the scangage it is still common to see temps of 165 or more.

I bought a new cooler that will eliminate the radiator fluid to fluid heat exchanger.

One thing about all the comments regarding the tranny fluid running too cold, it is not that big of a deal. If you start your truck and warm it up for 60 seconds, then drive, the tranny fluids are still only around 80 with outside temps of 70. The temps typically will only come up in applications slipping the converter.

My oem trans cooler will become a power steering cooler, which I may remote filter in stead of the current Magnafine filter.

I got the largest cooler for the trans that will fit realatively easy, a TRU-Cool (Dana or Long manufactured) M7B, which is 11"x8"x1.5".

As I posted before, I got rid of the Toyota WS fluid also and went with Mobil 1 atf.

PK

15. Dec 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Please write up your mods so that others can learn from them. It sounds like you have a nice plan! :thumbsup:

16. Dec 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    PMK, Thank you

17. Dec 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
  18. Dec 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    PMK, I have been looking at several of the cooler manufacturers. All seem to be similar, so I am trying to narrow them down on the type of connections / fittings.

For others interested in adding a remote filter, look at Perma-Cool for their filter mounts. They offer several styles, size fittings and left, right, up ports to ease your installation on different vehicles.

19. Jan 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    If installing the external trans cooler, doesn't it defeat the purpose to still use the radiator cooler?

I live in MA and have concerns about cold weather..any thoughts?

20. Mar 28, 2017 at 5:41 PM
    JUS

JUS Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Jax, Fl
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR, 08 4Runner
    Chuck,

I do not mean to intentionally revive an old thread, but I thought you may be interested to learn my 2006 Prerunner has experienced the exact same issues as yours. I have actually had the clunk 4/5 shift and speed bumps/rumble strips transmission issue since the truck was practically new. I also experience occasional hard shifts, like the a truck has had a shift kit installed. My transmission has been replaced three times by Toyota, but the issue always returns after a time. My Taco is now long out of warranty. The last episode of tranny issues happened in November with 141,000 miles on the clock. The truck was still drivable, so I decided to just live with the nuisance.

This Saturday my radiator failed, creating the same dreaded milkshake you have described. After installing a new radiator and having the tranny and engine flushed, the truck is running again. My theory is the poor shift conditions are caused by abnormally elevated fluid pressures. Perhaps this is caused by a faulty TCM or valve body? But why in four different transmissions? Could elevated fluid pressures have caused a failure in the tranny cooler?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

JUS

Products Discussed in

To Top