1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AUTO TRANNY on a 4 BANGER?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MocoTaco, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Feb 4, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    MocoTaco

MocoTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco reg cab 4cyl., AT, 5 lug
    Well, I was going to get the new PreRunner V6 extended cab but after the financial market knocked our (check your credt standing) credit scores after the first of the year I'll prolly end up paying cash for a used regular cab, 4 cyl to avoid the high interest. I have several picked out for when my income tax returns get here so my question is this . . . are the Taco 4 bangers too weak for the automatic tranny behind them? I mean should I scratch the autos off the list or would they be OK? I am not looking for a race truck but I do want it to get out of it's own way when I put the lift and bigger tires on it. 4 banger owners thoughts/ recommendations?

2. Feb 4, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    MocoTaco

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    WOW!! Alrighty then, I'll figure it out.:eek:

3. Feb 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 2.7L SR5 5spd, 4x4
    5100 set to .85 w/ rear TSB, 2012 Rear-view Mirror, Grillecraft, Team Trails FJ Wheels, TPMS canister, Rear headrest delete, Rear console delete, Valley Hitch, Frame undercoat, $2.99 Tailgate hose clamp lock, Avid light bar, 4x4 lighted switch ala Biceman.
    not to state the obvious but....

The reg cab is lighter then access can so that can help.....so does the lack of transfer case. The 4 is no race truck, but it serves my purposes in my AC 4x4. Not a common configuration, so maybe you won't see too many responses. The only way to tell is test drive it well. Get on the highway and do some hills with the A/C. Only you can decide. Comparing to V6 is not really something to compare. If you want/need the V6 you'll get it after testing both. If you are happy with the 4 first then lock it up.

4. Feb 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I saw a base model regular cab at the dealer that had column shift so those do exist but I didn't test drive it so don't know about how it drives.

5. Feb 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    aFe Pro Dry air filter, magnetic oil drain plug, synthetic seat covers, steering wheel cover
    Column shift on a Taco? What year was it? I thought they all had console-mounted shifters. Anyway if you are looking at a regular cab 4-cyl automatic, it might be quick enough for your lift w/big tires. Some people complain that the 4-cyl w/automatic is slow in the access/double cab configurations but I get along just fine. It helps that the automatic's shifter gate allows manual gear selection. The V6 has much more power than the 4-cyl but you said that is out of your price range... just wanted to mention if you can still swing it, you will be happier with the V6 if acceleration is a concern and fuel economy is not.

6. Feb 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    Joey_Buttafuoco

Joey_Buttafuoco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Watertown, Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg. Cab 4x4 Silver
    avid offroad light-bar, URD short-throw shifter, fj steelies, 265-70/17 firestone destination a/t's, magnaflow 10425, tonneau cover, rear diff. breather mod, stubby antenna, debadged, weathertech digitalfit floormats, seat belt chime disabled, mudflap delete, buncha stickers
    I believe that 4x4 and prerunner 4 cyls only come with a stick

7. Feb 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail
    Column shift on some 5lug 4cyl first gens, not sure if all. My co-worker has one.

8. Feb 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    I have a base 4cyl reg cab auto.
    I went up to 235 75r15 tires (not a huge increase)
    Before I put on a lift I will want to regear.
    The tranny doesn't seem to shift optimally now with the different tire size.
    Get the manual, or plan for a set of gears.

Or just wait (save) a little longer to get the prerunner that you really want.

9. Feb 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    MocoTaco

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys, yes I have several picked out and wanted some feed back on the autos, I'll steer clear because I was wanting a little bigger tires & clearance. I'll pick one up in a couple weeks.

To Top