1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Trans Shift Lever Blues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Simon's Mom, May 3, 2009.

1. May 3, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom [OP] Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Past couple of days, the auto trans shift lever does not move smoothly as it used to.
    At times, from reverse it doesn't want to move back into park & feels like something is dragging or stuck in there. :confused:
    Is there a way to take off the cover to look if something fell into small opening near the lever?
    Do other A/T owners feel any drag in shifting?
    FWIW, the truck has 30k & I do not shift the linkage until it is stopped! My BF said that is the reason this happens???
    Oh, and I want to look before taking it to the dealer so they won't hit me with a huge bill if its my earring or part of Simon's treats or something stupid like that stuck in there. :eek:
    Thank you :D

2. May 3, 2009 at 6:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You should be able to take the whole console apart. I had a Pontiac Sunbird in high school that I had to remove the entire dash, center console, and seat to clean 12 years worth of shit out. The seats slid smoother, the shifter liked the cleaning and grease, and everything fit together better when I was done.

Worth at least trying to take apart some of it to make sure it's nothing small or silly.

3. Jan 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    Bounty

Bounty Member

Member:
    T2R3
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    i have the same issue. Feels like the brake switch is floating around in there. i can hear it.

4. Jan 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    DLAV

DLAV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    SK
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB Barcelona Red
    N-Fab Steps, Weathertech floor mats, Oem Bed mat
    I haven't taken it apart in a while, but I'm pretty sure that you the piece around the shifter just snaps in an out. Screw the shifter knob off, grab on to the plastic around it, and pull straight up. Now that I am thinking about it you may have to pull the cup holders out first. Which is also just snapped in. Hope this helps, somebody else will chime in with the proper procedure if this isn't it.

Products Discussed in

To Top