1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Trans vs. Manual Trans

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fotofuey, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Jul 18, 2007 at 6:10 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Hands down the auto (5 speed) is a much better tanny the 6-speed manual. I have owed both but I prefer to shift my own tanny as well.

2. Jul 18, 2007 at 10:08 PM
    COL. Daniel A. Ness

COL. Daniel A. Ness Active Member

Member:
    All else I have is stick shift. I know them so well that the clutch gets little wear. There is no reason to use it to upshift. Down takes skill.
    Perhaps I am just old. But I like the auto on the V6. TRD.
    EVOC has used autos since I was a pup. ABS is different.
    I need a PU. I like sports cars and motors and airplanes.
    Well, perhaps I need a couple of cycles and airplanes.
    Life without risk is worth what it is.

3. Jul 19, 2007 at 7:11 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I do have to say i loved the manual five speed in my old beamer. at 200k miles i had to change out the clutch plate. When i took it out i saw the original BMW stamp. The original clutch plate lasted 200k, which is pretty impressive considering i drove it like a bat out of hell. I'd still be driving it too if my brother didn't use it to kiss the back end of a truck. BMW use to make their cars like tanks, completely unstopable, but now they fall apart if you look at them wrong :( I hate it when quality takes a back seat to bells and whistles. I had a friend who had a car just like mine and it lasted him 350k, which is damn impressive for a gas engine. I'm gonna buy another one when i get the money

4. Jul 22, 2007 at 8:23 AM
    garbal

garbal Member

Member:
    Interesting thread guys... good to see I'm not the only one suffering this dilema!

I'm about to purchase an 07 Tacoma TRD... and my biggest choice other than color and cab style was Auto VS Manual...

Autos scare me as I used to be a tranny mechanic and I saw all the autos coming in with problems and saw the price tags... albiet all Domestic vehicles!

I think one could safely say that Toyota has a reputation for reliability which
    could be extended to having confidence in their transmission quality!

After reading this thread... I think the choice will be for an Automatic.

Thanks Guys!

Cheers.

5. Dec 31, 2007 at 12:20 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    Manuals rule on hardpack and suck in mud. When you shift a manual in mud you lose too much ooomph and tend to sink or stahl or both. As for fuel economy there are far to many other variables. Auto trans are easier to resell.

6. Dec 31, 2007 at 12:56 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    I will never own a automatic tranny for my personal vehicle. How's the tranny supposed to know exactly when I wanna shift? When I stomp on it, I don't ALWAYS want it to down shift. Automatics suck, they take away from the driving experience.

Check this product out for automatic trannys:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22

7. Dec 31, 2007 at 1:37 PM
    deer_pop

deer_pop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD 6 Speed Manual Speedway Blue
    None yet

Dude, that is a funny pic!!! You get rep for that one!

8. Dec 31, 2007 at 1:55 PM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Thanks for the rep!! I left you one in return!

9. Dec 31, 2007 at 3:49 PM
    deer_pop

deer_pop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD 6 Speed Manual Speedway Blue
    None yet
    Thanks. We got a lot in common. My 08 is supposed to be here next week. Nice way to break in the new year eh!!!

When is your comming in and what color did you choose?

10. Dec 31, 2007 at 4:03 PM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Mine's coming in Feb, don't know the exact date yet or the VIN. It's a black TRD sport double cab 4x4 6 speed. First 4x4 I've ever owned, I'm sure I'll love it. Congrats on your truck man, make sure you post some pics when it comes in.

11. Dec 31, 2007 at 8:49 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    My trucks always have clutches, I am just used to them after so many years. I don't think you have any concerns either way you go. I have driven them both and find that both are equal to the task, shun the fear ! :thumbsup:

12. Jan 1, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I have to say that I perfer a 5/6spd, for me its better control in the snowy winter weather when in 4wd. I know a lot of guys don't like shifting, if so, get the auto shifter. As far as being durable, if you change the trans oil in the auto every yr or two (depending on miles, loads, uses,) it will be fine, like most things dirty oil, engine or trans, is a killer. Standard trans should never wear out and the clutch should be good for 125k or better, again depending on use.
    If you do a lot of city or urban driving a standard may not be for you.
    Jeff 06,V6, 6spd , 4x4 Radiant Red

13. Jan 1, 2008 at 11:43 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    It depends on need. Having had back surgery 2 years ago at age 34 (I'm fine now), I can tell you that I'll probably always buy an auto at this point, except for the project vehicle I'm planning in the future. With all the back problems I had in the past and not being able to drive a stick when it acted up (I owned manuals most of my life; first car was), I need to stick with auto. Also, the last 2 years living in NJ I drove 55 miles each way to work in heavy traffic and I'll never put myself in a stop and go situation like that again with a manual trans.

Besides, auto's are the future. The newer one's like the DSG's and the like are so much better than a manual. A human could never shift as quickly as those types of transmissions.

BTW, the auto Tacoma is supposedly faster than the manual. Interesting how that's opposite to most vehicles.

One thing I do wish I had, like in my previous '05 Altima 3.5SE, is autostick. That and a remote fuel door are the only things that my Tacoma doesn't have that I wish it did.

14. Jan 1, 2008 at 12:24 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    That's still true. ;)

15. Jan 1, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    11secgt

11secgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    after owning both a 98 5 spd taco and a 06 automatic taco and driving both on the beach and in the mud and snow...imo the automatic wins every time...my 06 never hunts for the right gear or bogs down going through the gears on any surface...it really surprised me the most in the sand..

just because you have an automatic transmission dont mean that the car/truck will be slower...there are plenty of vehicels out there that run faster with an automatic...you cant always shift faster then the computer anymore...

my 375 rwhp mustang automatic will beat the hell out of a 500 rwhp stick car all day long and be more consistant...just ask my cobra buddies....lol

16. Jan 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

I never have trouble in mud... Pick the gear you want to be in and keep the speed up, or get some momentum and shift quickly/smoothly. If you stop in mud you're going to have problems with either tranny.

I find that if I'm crawling through mud I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd anyway and have enough torque to hit the gas and power through anyway.

I go off roading with a jeep buddy. He has an auto, I have the 6spd. Only thing making me slower than him is he doesn't care if he tears up the jeep! :laugh: He's already fiberglassed the rocker panels to repair rust holes and such, and I don't want to do any body repairs. I still go every where he goes, places he won't, and I've towed his jeep before when it died.

I will say, I like the fact I can always push start a manual if the starter or battery die. With an auto you could be screwed. I also don't like all the complaints people have had about the auto going crazy on cruise when the speed drops below the set point.

17. Jan 1, 2008 at 3:02 PM
    Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Member:
    Ozark Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Buying one soon
    I personally prefer a manual, and thats what I usually get in a truck, but I will admit my car has spoiled me a little.

As for the quality, My 98 avalon has had 194,000 hard miles, and still shifts great with no repairs at all. I just flush it every 50k or so.

With my bum knee, I believe my Taco will likely be an auto.

18. Jan 1, 2008 at 3:07 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Bum knee? yeah, get the auto... This clutch is stiff as hell. I love my truck and the 6spd, but sometimes my leg twitches holding the clutch down at red lights after a long, stressful day at work. Shifting to neutral is a quick solution, but if you have knee or joint issues that's something to think about.

19. Jan 1, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Member:
    Ozark Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Buying one soon
    Yeah, if it wasnt my left knee, I wouldn't be worried about it, but after test driving a manual, I think it is in my best interest to go with the auto.

20. Jan 1, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    sodak

sodak Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    I've had both, and chose to stick with the manual. More control, better off-road, much better for mountain driving. Yes, you can pick the gear of the auto, but when going down a steep hill, over-rev's can force an upshift. Plus a manual doesn't let them put all that traction control junk on it either.

Products Discussed in

To Top