1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Trans vs. Manual Trans

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fotofuey, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Jan 2, 2008 at 9:15 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    After reading all the replys it comes down to a personal preference. I have the 08 V6 with manual 6speed and would not own anything else. Again personal preference, I believe a truck should be a manual shift automatics (slush pumpers as I call them) are for cars, again my opinion. I drive in traffic everyday and do alot of shifting in stop and go traffic. I have had a truck, both big and small for over 20 yrs and all have been manual. I drove a friends F250, automatic and it was not the same. I know my wife wishes I got the automatic, but again she does not drive the truck as much if it was a automatic. There are pros and cons and the debate can go on for every, but it comes down to you spending your money, so buy what you like/want. Just my .02 worth. Very much enjoyed everybodies comments.

2. Jan 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    If the battery is dead and you push start it where does the power for the ignition and fuel come from?

3. Jan 2, 2008 at 3:57 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    You've never push started a manual or heard about? :confused:

Push the vehicle in neutral, once it's rolling turn the key to ON, shift to 1st and let out the clutch. Drive train forces the engine to turn over and starts the engine. (Since the engine is turning, the alternator is too)

I did it for 2 weeks with my Corolla waiting for a new starter to come in.

4. Jan 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM
    Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Member:
    Ozark Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Buying one soon
    I drove my old cj7 jeep for 6 months like that. I just parked on a hill at work, and bump started her every day. As a teenager, I didnt have the coin to get a new starter lol.

5. Jan 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    That was my problem! Starters "never" die in Corollas so the dealership didn't have one. They could've ordered one, but that was $300! :eek: I got one from a junkyard for $50, and just had to wait a few days for it to come in. Nothing but flat parking lots in Myrtle Beach so it was kinda tough, but I got through it.

6. Jan 2, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    When we talk about roll starting it when the battery is "dead". Of course the battery is not totally dead, it just doesn't have enough juice to start the motor. A battery is rarely dead enough not not even run the engine electronics. When a battery starts dying the CCA's go down first.

7. Jan 2, 2008 at 4:51 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    That, and the alternator is tied to the engine with the serpentine belt so as soon as the engine starts to turn from the drive train it gets power from there too.

8. Jan 2, 2008 at 6:24 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Yeah I had a pos jeep out of high school, did the same thing for weeks. Luck would have it that I lived in W.V. nothing but hills.

9. Jan 3, 2008 at 5:40 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    One hint for all those pushing starting a car/truck with manual trans , try using 2nd gear instead of first it will start quicker/easier.
    Whether a vehicle starts or not when you "clutch start" it, if the battery is dead due to old age or someone left the key or lights on, when it gets going the alternator will recharge the battery after a specified time. If the alternator is dead then you need to find a battery that is charged and use that to get you home or to a garage.
    One other hint,naturally you need to check your alternator with a tester for out put but you can put your hand on top of the alternator when its running,(being careful of course) if its hot its working, if its cool/cold it needs to be replaced..... like any other electrical component alt's can just die unexpectedly.
    Again as in most engine related problems, a good correct size battery, with clean terminals (don't forget good pos/neg cables,) and correct tension on the belt will go a long way in preventing problems. With computer controlled sytems good, clean connections are a must.
    A good shop should take care of or check all of these when they either install a battery or replace a alternator. Be aware many don't, so ask.
    Jeff, 06,V6 6spd, 4x4 Radiant Red

10. Jan 3, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    ellsworth

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    so the alternator will supply enough power to run the pcm and ignition demands and fuel pump etc with a dead battery? I got to try it. I am going to disconect the negative cable and roll it down a hill and pop it..I will let you know what hapens. It just seems to me that the moment the engine turns from disengaging the clutch that the alt would not develop enough power to support everything including an imobilizer response to keep it running...If an alternator can develop that much power from being driven by the wheels thats impresive...

11. Jan 3, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    ellsworth

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    I bump start my woods bike alot on a hill (engine hot) when I am tired and it has no battery I just figured that on newer cars it wont work due to the imediate electrical demands on newer engines.

12. Jan 3, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package

Dude read post#46. A "dead" battery still has enough juice to run the stuff that you are talking about, that's very little load. A "dead" batter doesn't have enough juice to start the motor though. It takes a ton of current to start the motor, it takes very little current (relatively speaking) to keep the car running.

13. Jan 3, 2008 at 5:36 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    And as such, should also require very little from the alternator as well. The alternator will be turning at the same time the engine does. It's not always immediate. The engine does turn a few revolutions before catching. The alternator would also be turning the whole time.

14. Jan 4, 2008 at 3:16 AM
    ellsworth

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    ok so we need reay good batteries!!!!!!!!!!

15. Jan 4, 2008 at 4:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I wasn't keeping up with this thread (not that I need to).....

When it comes to offroading - it all depends on the vehicle and your experience.

I've always had manual trannies and have enjoyed everyone of them. My 96 tacoma was a manual and I wheeled it for 5 years that I owned it. At the time, I didn't know any different. Ever since we bought the trail rig (Wrangler with manual tranny) - I've seen a big difference between the torque of the wranger versus the torque of the tacoma. In the Tacoma - every time I was on a steep incline, It'd roll backwards and I absolutely HATED inclines. In the Wrangler - while letting the clutch out partially, it'll hold the vehicle in place without rolling backwards, it's NICE and have learned to appreciate the Wrangler for this reason during more extreme wheeling especially.

Obviously, I don't know how the newer trucks are... but... I would much rather offroad with an AUTO transmission than have a manual tranny rollbackwards on steep inclines.

One of my uphill fears - rolling backwards and not being able to stop (or get moving again).

16. Jan 4, 2008 at 5:41 AM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    WTF?!?! What are you meaning to say here?

17. Jan 4, 2008 at 5:45 AM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    You make some very good points thats for damn sure. Yeah, I can see how having an auto for offroading and steep inclines will be pretty good. You can put alot of wear on that clutch if you're starting and stopping on steep inclines all the time. In that case I agree, go with the auto.

The opinions I stated in this thread is just for street driving.

18. Jan 4, 2008 at 6:19 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I agree with Klown in that you make some good points.

However, if I'm having trouble getting up a hill without stalling or burning the clutch then the solution is a switch away: 4LO. :D

I can idle up hills in 4LO that stall 4HI. Hell, I'll put it in 4LO, 3rd, and walk up the hill without touching the clutch.

So you can keep you're auto! :laugh:

I guess it all comes down to knowing your truck, knowing all your options, and using them to your advantage.

19. Jan 5, 2008 at 5:04 AM
    ellsworth

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    If the truck has a good battery (unlike the stock POS) then bump starting a mnaual could be avoided...

20. Jan 5, 2008 at 6:43 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Dude, it's not about AVOIDING a bump start, it's about being ABLE to! If your battery dies in an auto, you're fucked. You need to call AAA, find someone to jump you, call a friend/family member, etc. The manual you just give it a push, and you're on your way. THAT is the point of bringing that up.

Or if the starter dies. If the starter dies in an auto the only thing you can call is a tow truck. Starter dies in my truck, and I'll still be driving home.

Products Discussed in

To Top