1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

auto trans

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by frog13, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Yes. Wouldn't more emissions equipment reduce the power output only? Why would it affect the transmission shift points/programming? Something to do with different emissions levels at different RPMs?

2. Feb 7, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    2007 tacoma

2007 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    16" Alloys, K&N intake, Class III Hitch, US Truck Cap Rack, Carpeted Bed Mat, WeatherTechs, SeatSaver covers, Many more in the works
    I tried it coming home on the interstate tonight.

I set the cruise at 65. If I pushed the throttle 1/2 way it would drop into 3rd and pull nicely. If I put it 3/4 or to the floor it would drop down into 2nd at about 5000 rpm and just a couple of seconds later shift into 3rd at around 3500 rpm. It was going 80 mph soon after that.

Something is different between our set ups. I just recently got mine certified used from the dealer and they may have done some TSB's while they were getting it ready for sale. There was quite a laundry list of things they did before they put it on the lot. Flashing the TCU could've been one of them. I think I still have the list in my glove box. I'll have to see.

3. Feb 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    Awesome... I would *really* like to know if your tranny program was adjusted. BTW, mine is a 2006 SR5 access cab. Thx

4. Feb 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM
    HomeGrown

HomeGrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    South Bend, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4WD
    Does anyone know what's different about the CA emissions? The down-side of ordering a Toyota corporate lease vehicle is that we're required to check the "50-state emissions" checkbox before ordering. I tried leaving it unchecked on my last Taco lease, and they conveniently checked it for me. :mad:

5. Feb 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    frog13

frog13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can't be specific...not a mechanic,but, I do know on the folks in CA I knew and various other motorcycles applications(dual sport bikes) there was a distinct difference between units.How much "load" that is placed on a vehicle from "emissions" crap is usually the culprit....something to do with "extra" vacuun...pressure etc.

6. Feb 8, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    2007 tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    16" Alloys, K&N intake, Class III Hitch, US Truck Cap Rack, Carpeted Bed Mat, WeatherTechs, SeatSaver covers, Many more in the works
    Hi DGXR.

I found the service report I'd put in the glove box with the papers from where I bought it. I was mistaken. I thought it was a laundry list because when I looked at it before, it was a bunch of paper with a bill to Toyota for upwards of $500. All they did though was change the oil and replace the wiper blades. The rest was the hours in labor they charged doing the inspection to make it a certified used. The many pages stapled to it was everything they'd inspected.

Not a total loss though. I did find this website in my searches regarding your issue today:

http://www.tsbsearch.com/Search?Key...mber=&NHTSANumber=&StartDate=&EndDate=&Page=1

It's a free TSB search site. Many sites it's difficult to find the TSB's or they want to charge. Nice to know someone wants people to have access to their own information out there.

7. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    Hi 2007 tacoma
    Well thanks anyway... guess I'll have to slap the stick when a downshift is urgent.

So you are saying the dealer charged you $500 for an oil change and new wiper blades? Or do you mean transmission service?

8. Feb 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    2007 tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    When I looked at the list, they hadn't done anything to the transmission. It was all labor going through the overall vehicle inspection they allocate 5 or 6 hours for.

They didn't charge it to me, they turned it in as some sort of warranty expense into Toyota for putting the truck out on the lot. Though I'm sure I shared in it somewhat when I paid for the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top