1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Vs Manual 2011 2.7 tacos

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by h50lholl, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Dec 3, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    h50lholl

h50lholl [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Pyrite Mica
    Going to look at the new 4x4 tacomas tomorrow. Leaning toward the 2.7 4 banger right now due to the higher MPG. We will see how I like it after a test drive.

I know what the EPA sticker says but what are the differences in mpg in real world driving 4 speed auto vs. 5 speed man. Assuming the driver knows how to drive the manual fairly efficiently.

I have seen this coved a lot with the 6 speed manual but not the latest 5 speeds.

2. Dec 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    back in the day the manuals would get better mpgs because the automatics were not as complex as they are now. Now most autos are right up there with the manuals because the computers in the autos know how to give you the best gear for gas and power.

Its the same deal as with the six speeds that you've heard about.

3. Dec 3, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    I know have a 2.7 with the 5 speed manual and personally I think if driven efficiently you can get better mileage. My average is listed below in the sig. My previous Tacoma was a V6 with the auto trans and I averaged around 16 mpg. Personally I love the 2.7 and 5 speed combo. Gets good gas mileage without sacrificing too much power. I'm noticing a slight power loss now because I upgraded to the 265/75r16's which are bigger heavier tire than what came stock on my standard cab but it's still plenty for what I do.

4. Dec 3, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    The 4banger will be slower with the auto. The 4banger is a great engine, however its still a 4banger and it doesn't have much power to begin with. If you want to lift it & put bigger tires on it, you will like the option of downshifting when needed, not when the auto tranny decides to...

I have 5lugger with 5speed, lift and 31's, stock 3.33 gears. It is slow...lol

5. Dec 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I think the autos in the Tacomas get better mileage because in both cases, the auto is geared higher on the upper end, and the manuals seem to be geared lower.

I know going down the interstate is when my gas mileage is the absolute worst. If I'm moving at an average pace with traffic, the engine is really cranking fast in 6th gear.

I see other vehicles out there that still list the manual as getting better mileage.

6. Dec 3, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I wouldn't want a 4 banger with an auto tranny...I've been pretty pleased with my 5 speed. I actually haven't seen any automatics that have been able to pull the MPG's that I do...31 on the highway. Even if the gearing is different in the auto, you still can't control your shift points. Plus, I like knowing that the manual tranny should outlast the auto when the mileage starts to pile up.

To Top