1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto vs Manual which one is stronger?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jtgroce, Apr 21, 2012.

?

Auto or Manual which is more reliable?

1. Auto

550 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Manual

521 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. Apr 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    So I've read some threads on here about auto's and manuals, but not one about which one is stronger or more reliable. In the old days manuals, or as I call them the straight drives, were the transmission to get b/c they would last alot longer than automatics. Is this still the case or has technology evolved so much that auto's last just as long as manual tranny's?

2. Apr 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    auto = dont have to worry bout clutch going bad. both require fluid change so its uo to you

3. Apr 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure who had the most miles on their trucks with either transmission

4. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    very true. I enjoy driving manuals every now and then, but I'm to the point I would rather have an auto.....now a days auto's get just as good mpg if not better than manuals and I know Taco's auto is geared higher in 5th gear than the 6spd

5. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    as with anything. I wonder why our auto's fluid has to be changed at 60k miles when a silverado is good for 100k miles. is it b/c it is a sealed transmission?

6. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Funny that people always say this. I was asking my father, who has trailered boats over hundreds of thousands of miles in a half dozen different automatics since the late 1960s. Told me in all those years, he only rebuilt one automatic (a 64 Chevy). Of course back then rebulding an auto tranny was easy .. just a couple hours in the shop. Now rebuilds take a week (which is why most shops just swap in a pre-rebuilt) as they're the most complex and sophistcated piece of machinery on the car.

Like most things though, it really comes down to the individual design. Toyota's autos (built by Aisin-Warner) are fantastic. It has been said that the current 5-speed auto in the V6 Tacos (A750F) was designed to handle V8 power. So for our application, it's overbuilt .. which is nice.

As for the current gen of transmissions in the V6 Tacos, it's the 6 speed manual that has had all the problems. But that mostly was with earlier versions (weak syncros, shift forks). Toyota has quietly revised the 6-speed twice (2007, 2009). Now, save for the onging throwout bearing problem .. for which there now finally is a TSB ..I'm sure it's a solid tranny too.

The A750F auto also has a few years on the 6-speed (which was new to Toyota in 2005). The 5-speed auto had been in use in the 4Runner (and others) since 2003. So by the time it made it to the Tacos, any early problems were probably already ironed out (though catastrophic problems with the autos across all years seem to be extremely rare). I think the A750F will gain legendary status over time.

SOSHeloPilot likes this.
  7. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Toyota keeps going back and forth on that. First it was 60k then 100k and now they're back to 60k. I've been told it's more of a piece of mind issue though .. that Toyota's WS fluid was engineered to hold up well over 100k miles.

Does a Silverado tranny even last 100k? :)

8. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce [OP] Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    interesting......and yes the silverado's tranny last's 100k miles, I know someone who had one with over 250k miles

9. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    K&N CAI, Magnaflow muffler, Xenon (non-HID) high/low, Reese aftermarket reciever/plug n play 4 pin, "Taco" badge, 4x4 mud flaps and no further markings Bilstein 5100's at all 4 corners - struts set at 2 inches taller, rear stock height. Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N intake, Husky box carpeted w/LED lights - secured by pros, mounts for AR15.
    The clutch is the same as brake pads -- it is sacrificial and will need replacement (how much are clutches now days?)

Automatics use torque converters which act as gear reduction for those running tall tires and tall (numerically low) gearing; creates a TON of heat in the process, so gear down (numerically higher) for larger diameter tires/wheels.

Today's automatics also utilize lockup meaning it is direct drive until you vary the engine speed.

Mine in my Tacoma w/ 2.7 keeps her at 3,000rpm so I am always in optimum torque making it more efficient than running 600rpm to 4000rpm, to 2000rpm to 4000rpm, so on.

10. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    K&N CAI, Magnaflow muffler, Xenon (non-HID) high/low, Reese aftermarket reciever/plug n play 4 pin, "Taco" badge, 4x4 mud flaps and no further markings Bilstein 5100's at all 4 corners - struts set at 2 inches taller, rear stock height. Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N intake, Husky box carpeted w/LED lights - secured by pros, mounts for AR15.
    They do last, but I changed my ATF and filter every 30k because the 4L60E is not the world's strongest trans. I got 150k out of one.

Only 60k from the Allison, the 6.6 d'max is a beast. GM replaced for nothing.

11. Apr 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    Manual generally MUCH cheaper to service, but when you factor smoking a clutch in 4 low in B-F-NOWHERE, I think I will stick with my slush box and an aux cooler. Those blasts to the mountains w/dirtbikes and gear are probably notttt too good on them.

Work truck? hell yeah, 6 speed manual with granny low please. When I smoke the clutch, I am still paid by the hour lol

12. Apr 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I'm not sure which one is more reliable but I do know which will be more expensive if it breaks.

As for the clutch, I have seen very few threads on here about people needing to replace the clutch due to miles, though some seem to fail early and are replaced under warranty. As I understand it's something you might have to do once over the life of the vehicle.

13. Apr 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    Yes I do agree, Toyota has done a great job with their OE clutches... But the 4.0 puts out V8 power, so people are probably abusing the hell out of them whereas before it was the 4cyl, and not gobs of torque to eat friction material.

Traditionally the incentives to buy manual were 1. much better mileage 2. more power to the ground, and 3. lower cost to rebuild / service. Now 1 and 2 are no longer true, and 3 is speculative.

I could get a 4L60E for under a grand built to handle 500 HP. I am not sure what a Toyota runs -- but I will for sure have mine rebuilt to my specs if there is an issue. I have been a huge fan of the Tacoma since it came out. Factually it was not practical for me as my ex and I raced MX so we needed lots of room and diesel power plant for mileage. Now I am single, and don't need the room so this is my first Tacoma (reg cab). I am on this forum to gain insight to what, if any, problems to address.

14. Apr 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    I would look into what the boys and girls running supercharged 3.6 and automatics are saying. There are ways such as shift kits and coolers to increase the longevity of an auto trans. I am running a bone stock 2.7 and not too worried about my 159 hp eating an auto... If I had the 4.o and did heavy towing, I would address this.

15. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    No dobut the #1 killer of auto transmission by a long far wide margin is heat. That's probably behind 90% of eventual failures. It gets too hot, the fluid shear strength goes to shit, and everything starts wearing big time. Keep it cool, and you should get a lifetime out of it.

16. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    BuckWells

BuckWells Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Wichita, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad
    painted badges, sockmonkey decals, CHLM, bed light mod, 20% tint, color match grille
    Does a Silverado tranny even last 100k? :)[/QUOTE]

i drove my '94 chevy 5.7 auto half ton to 280,000 before i sold it for a '98. never a problem. and i used it like a truck is meant to be used. in fact, it was one of the most reliable vehicles i've ever owned. chevy's get slammed for poor quality, but i only replaced the normal things (starter, battery, brakes, etc.) and it never let me down or left me stranded. but i still really love my tacoma.

17. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

AnotherSilverTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle
    Who cares which one is stronger? Which one is a pain in the butt to drive? How many of you have a dial telephone or a TV with a tube? Manual transmissions in my opinion, have largely been replaced with automatics because they are just plain better. Don't get me wrong a stick shift is fun to drive occasionally and really awesome in a race car, but for offroading or daily driving in a pickup truck? No way! :rolleyes:

18. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    Manual is the best.

noncontributingzero likes this.
  19. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    12Tac

12Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    Wow i didn't know that. Great information this board.

I guess its good I got an auto.

12Tac

20. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    I waited a long time To find a 6spd I wanted. I enjoy every aspect of it and really like feeling connected to the truck.
    My daughters are learning to drive now and I am insisting they learn to drive my truck too.
    Straight drives are becoming a lost art. I want them prepared to drive anything.

Oh and BTW. While it sucks to lose a clutch in BF nowhere, Ive taught my daughter how to push start it in case of a low battery.
    Try to do that with your slush box.

noncontributingzero likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top