1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatcentral Headlight Tint

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by T-rev, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Feb 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    T-rev

T-rev [OP] Resident Mall Crawler

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    First off, I'd like to say thanks to user Automatcentral for this opportunity. I was very impressed with how fast it got to my house, only a few business days. I started right away following the instruction sheet that was included. At first the film did not want to adhere to the headlight lens but that's where the heating element came into play. Using a blow dryer I was able to form the tint evenly over the head light. It was a long process for me, seeing as I have never worked with the material before. After about four hours of forming and applying the tint I was done. This included the two head lights, and two fog lights. There are still some air bubbles trapped in the film but that's because by the end I was getting lazy. I found it very hard to get the film to form evenly over all the curves and contours of the lights, although it is possible to do, it will be time consuming. As I suspected, the light output is weakened by about 25% which is an issue for me. I would give this product a 10 out of 10 because you get exactly what you pay for, a headlight tint, so obviously you are going to end up with reduced headlight output. It comes with a great intrusction sheet along with a squeegee to help with install and as long as you follow the directions exactly they will turn out perfect, but depending on the application some will be much more time consuming than others.

As for the pictures

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Feb 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Is that legal for on road use?:confused: Most of the headlight tint products I've seen make a point to advertise it's for show use only. Got a link to the web site?

3. Feb 27, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    T-rev

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    I am unsure if it is legal or not, laws may vary from state to state. I have driven alongside 5+ officers since the application and have not been hassled for it. No link on the website, hopefully the vendor can chime in.

4. Feb 27, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Off Road SR5
    6000K HID Headlights 6000k HID Fog Lights Window visors (all 4) Tri-Fold Tonno Bedlined Rockers Bedlined Bumpers Bilstein 5100 Toytec 1/2" spacers 3" TSB Leafs and AAL's (Toytec) Differential 1" Drop Sway Bar Relocators BHLM Mod Debadged Pro Comp 7089s Hankook Dynapro 35" M/T's Billett Grill 55 watt fog lights in grill 55 watt fog lights on Pre-Runner Light Bar Rear Bilstein 5100's Flowmaster Super 10's Yellow Fog Light Mod Titanium Burl Wood Grain Dash Mod Leather Arm Rest Mod TRD Steering wheel Mod Painted Engine Cover Painted Fuse Box TRD Seat Belt Covers Bed Light Mod Extended/Braided Brake Lines Back up light mod
    I know it is legal here in WV, so long as it does not interfere with the function of the headlights. Tho the writing is pretty subjective to interpretation

5. Feb 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    automatcentral

automatcentral Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not only do laws vary from state to state, but the interpretation and enforcement of tint laws vary widely as well. Not to mention that these laws often change so it would be impossible to provide a comprehensive detail of headlamp tinting legality.

The responsibility rests on each individual to check his/her local laws and regulations before considering this product.

Thanks for the above review and pictures. For those interested in this product, it can be purchased via AutoMatCentral.com.

Most of our products have been reviewed extensively on this forum and others. Please send me a PM if you have any questions about any of our offerings.

Thanks.
    AutoMatCentral

6. Feb 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    HOSS454

HOSS454 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pukalani
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport
    Bolt ons here and there
    to the op, do you have any night pics with the lights on?

7. Feb 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    T-rev

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    I do not have any at the moment, I will try to get some tonight.

8. Feb 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    T-rev

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    Yeah no problem, its been raining the past two nights here, I'll get them once there is clear weather.

9. Mar 1, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    the look is good; however, the functionality of it when you need headlights is diminished

10. Mar 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    wizo

wizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Port St. John, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7L
    2.5" Walker Evans C/O's, All Pro UCA's,
    I have a similar product but could never install it correctly. I kept getting creases on the curves even with using a blow dryer. Any tips on getting around this?

11. Mar 1, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    T-rev

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    I applied the film best I could and when the light started to contour I would heat the film and stretch it over the area. It's a very time consuming process.

12. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:04 AM
    intense

intense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD '07
    ASE Dry, Carbon filter removed, Grillcraft, 5100's. Low Pro Ameriweld box black powder. Tint / Vent Visors. Textured Black skid plate. Husky Liners. Design Seat Covers
    Are stock headlights already tinted on the inside ? they look dark IMO I like the " Before " look. Is that OME ?

13. Mar 6, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    automatcentral

Member:
    One great feature of the tint film is that it is removable. If T-rev ever wanted to return to the "before" look, he could easily do so with little more than a razor blade -- this is a great advantage over the tint spray.

For those interested in this product and to see other detailed reviews of it, please take a look at the following link.

Tail-Lamp and Head-lamp Tint film from AutoMatCentral.com

14. Mar 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    You might get an award from the PoPo here in North Carolina with darky headlights...I am just sayin...

15. Mar 6, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Looks cool, but just plain retarded.

Function>Form

And there's no way that's 75% tint. Looks way dark. If I had to guess, it's either 30% tint or less.

If it is 30%, you just reduced the output of your headlights by 70%.

16. Jan 5, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    donovan6241

donovan6241 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donovan
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab PreRunner
    flowmaster exhaust, AFE cold air intake, pro comp 8188 wheels, yokohama geolander tires, 3 inch ready-lift front spacer, tinted windows, factory running boards, BHLM, HID's, yellow fog lights, 10 inch sub, weathertech digital fit black floor mats, black billet grille set, rear blue license plate light, and much more to come.
    what kinda paint did u use for ur billet grille?

17. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    Totally wanting to do a light tint on mine.

18. Feb 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    automatcentral

Member:
To Top