1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatic Tranny A43D question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cheese7882, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    cheese7882

cheese7882 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB MT
    According to my chilton, my 2RZ has an A43D transmission. I was thinkin about changing the filter inside, seems simple enough but it mentions magnets at the bottom of the pan that are "strategically" positioned and should be handled by a professional. Is it really that technical to just change out the filter? Also, I only use about 2quarts of dextron II for the fluid, seems fine but is that the right amount? Last but not least, would it be worth installing a tachometer? I know its an automatic, but I do wish I could see what RPM's i'm at.

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    angela

angela Well-Known Member

Member:
    the filter in the transmission is made of a metal mesh, they are usually just left alone. that being the case you shouldn't have to remove the pan unless the gasket is leaking. on your dipstick it should tell you the procedure on checking fluid level. ie park or neutral and your truck must be running. if your worried about the health of your transmission take it to a shop and have it flushed. a drain and fill will only replace the fluid in the pan. most of the fluid is retained in the torque converter.

3. Feb 4, 2010 at 1:53 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    '01 Limited DoubleCab 4x4
    3" SL, Nerf Bars, 33" BFGs, K&N, Deckplate, Royal Purple
    I've always been told not to flush the trans. (even by the dealership). You're supposed to drain/fill it every 30K or so. That won't get all the fluid out, b/c, as angela said, it only removes the fluid from the pan and most of it is in the torque converter. But, doing so will ensure that you always have "fresher" fluid in the transmission. When I bought my truck it had 45K on it and I don't think had been changed. Once I hit 70K the transmission started acting up by hard shifting between gears. I was told to drain/fill it a few times to get most of the old fluid out. I did it three times diving ~100mi between changes and now it works just fine. I'll probably change out the filter soon, but new fluid does wonders.

To Top