1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change For 1999 Tacoma Pre-Runner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by No Mo Mo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aug 31, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    No Mo Mo

No Mo Mo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Pre-Runner 2WD 3.4L
    I have a '99 Pre-Runner Tacoma and I want to change the transmission fluid. So far I've found two excellent posts for 2nd generation Tacoma's, but nothing comprehensive for 1st gen. I'd like to try it myself. Can anyone direct me to a good tutorial or post? Thanks much!

2. Aug 31, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    No Mo Mo

No Mo Mo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Pre-Runner 2WD 3.4L
  3. Aug 31, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    Stout890

Stout890 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    I also would like to change tranny fluid and filter. I worry about causing issues in my tranny though, since the previous owner knew nothing about the maintenance of this truck. I have heard that if you flush the tranny when it has not been done before in a specific milage it will ruin it and cause it to slip. But than I was told just changing the fluid was not bad. Anyone have experience with changing the fluid in an old tranny? Also I would like a write up specific to the 99 first gen auto tranny about the fluid change.

4. Sep 1, 2011 at 12:19 AM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Toyota fluid for the tranny, don't use anything else.

And if you do this, drop the pan as well, its not very hard,
    clean it out there will be crap on the bottom and on the 3 magnets,

Buy a new filter/screen thing from autozone they are pretty cheap, then clean up the old sealant and remount it.

I'm going to recommend that you don't use the rubber one autozone gives you, just buy some gasket maker stuff I heard good things about "the right stuff" any way I used the rubber gasket and sealant and it doesn't leak but
    the rubber gasket makes getting the pan screws back in a pain in the ass, especially if you don't have air tools

5. Sep 1, 2011 at 12:27 AM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Check your transmission fluid and see what color it is,

if it looks like a burned shitshake your transmission is toast and new fluid will just reveal that quicker because it clears out the dirt and magic that was holding it together,

But You could take it to the dealer and see if they had a warranty on their flushes...

6. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:57 PM
    ToyotaJim

ToyotaJim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma SR5
    Changing my AT Trans fluid...Should I really try to change the filter? I heard it is hard on a 4 banger. I was just planning on doing a drain and fill, but if its recommended to change the filter, I will. 280k miles on a 2.7L

7. Nov 13, 2017 at 8:59 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    Well damn talk about digging up a thread from the past, lol.

It's really simple to change the transmission filter regardless of engine - they all used the same transmission body regardless of 4x4 or 2WD (A340F and A340E respectively) Just a matter of 20 or so bolts on the whole pan and dropping it. Nothing in the way.

I've only done this with the transmission separate from the vehicle, so your results may vary. You'll probably have to remove the dipstick tube which is only 1 or 2 bolts.

ToyotaJim[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    dipstick tube separates half way up (at least on the 3.4 with A340), the pan and bottom half drop straight down :)

Products Discussed in

To Top