1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatic transmission lag

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by msco123, Apr 21, 2009.

1. May 30, 2010 at 11:49 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Have you noticed any other changes as a result of the TSB? Did fuel efficiency change? Does your truck "lunge" while your foot is on the brake?

Just curious. My 2010 does this only at the corner exiting my street and I'm considering having the TSB performed for the tranny. However, its not that big of a deal to me and I don't want to have it done if it will affect anything else.

2. May 31, 2010 at 12:18 AM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JTech
    I am with you Chris, damn you know if they had only put a dipstick on the transmission this whole thing could be solved so much easier.
    Well, Then people could actually check for them selves instead of being told its "Normal" by the monkey service tech at Toyota.

I believe the fluid cannot be over filled. I have not service one yet. There is a tube at the fill port that fluid is pumped up. It is at a certain height. if you over fill the tranny the overfill will drain back down the fill port until the fluid is level with the top of the tube. From what i have read tempeture is very important when filling the tran. To cold you can over fill your transmission. Again I have not serviced trans yet, I gathered this from the limited rescouces of all data at work.

3. May 31, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    93civEJ1

93civEJ1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR
    Procomp 6" Stage 1, Bilstein 5100's in front, flowmaster 40 series
    I am guessing I need to get this done on my truck as well...mine does this and its annoying as poop

4. May 31, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    Climber

Climber Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double CabSR-5
    This is a well-known problem. It is a software problem in the computer that controls the transmission. There are several other threads on this. If I can figure it out, I will attach the TSB. If not, google TSB 0373-09 and you should be able to find it.

The "reflash" completely solves the excessive downshifting problem, and the shift points are just right. The only other effect I have noticed is that it is impossible to disengage stability control in 4-wheel drive high range after the ECM reflash. Big deal.

If anything, I noticed a modest improvement in mileage, probably because the engine spends more time in lower RPMs around town.

The truck will still surge when you are at a stop, which, according to a tech I talked to, is a driveline issue, not ECM.

Attached Files:

5. Jun 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    Benjaneer

Benjaneer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Woodstock, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd off road ex. cab
    Basslink sub, Dual brand speakers, firetruck horns
    I have the same thing on my 07 Tacoma, when the a/c compressor cycles on the idle will boost for a second, then resettle. If It didn't boost the idle, then it would cause a heavy vibration. I would rather have the idle boost for a split second than the engine shake the dashboard. Also I take offense to referrring to the toyota technicians as monkeys. I am a 14 year master Honda technician and my twin brother is a 14 year master toyota technician. We don't think of ourselves as monkeys. Manufactuer engineers are the only ones that can change pcm programming.

6. Jun 2, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    Climber

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double CabSR-5

Amen, brother, about respect for techs. I don't have much use for marketing people, but the guys in the shop work for a living, and know their stuff.

I think the A/C compensated idle is different from the lunge that we get. The lunge happens with the A/C off, and is much more exaggerated -- as in, the truck will actually move about an inch forward. Toyota really should try to figure that out and fix it. I was told it was a driveline issue, not the computer, but the engine does seem to momentarily boost RPM.

7. Jun 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    mine downshifts kinda hard just before i decell to 30mph.....no big deal i dont care i kinda like it ;)
    \

8. Jun 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    Climber

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double CabSR-5
    Just get the TSB done and all of this goes away. Dont ignore it or pretend its OK. A bunch of RAVs from earlier years trashed their trannies because of this kind of bad shifting. It is abrupt, it reverses the load on the drivetrain until the engine revs catch up with where they need to be. Its an easy fix and all the dealers know about it. If they give you any BS, just tell them theres a TSB for shift quality and say you wont leave until they take care of it.

9. Jun 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    I have not noticed any negative effects at all. Just better, more appropriate shift timing. I have measured any mileage difference, however, the fuel only cuts out until the bottom of second now, as opposed to it staying cut until the first gear.
    Do it, you will be happy.

Products Discussed in

To Top