1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automotive "Black Box" Coming in 2014

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Hot Taco, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What manufacturers aren't installing them in new cars in the US ?

2. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I can't accurately answer this question as I believe every manufacturer installs an EDR in some products just not every product they make. You can find the less then 100% installation compliance on the NHTSB.gov site.

What is currently regulated in the US is what parameters should be monitored and a standardized method of capturing and downloading subject data should a manufacture opt to install a EDR unit.

3. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    But is the figure on the NHTSB site new cars or all cars on the road ?

ie , the older cars still on the road are the ones making up the percentage of vehicles that do not have them

4. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Depending on where you look they have both. A quick search revealed Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz don't put them on all US products yet...

5. Dec 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    junkman

junkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4 5 speed Access Cab
    I would say no more than scrapping body tissue off the grill of your car after you run down a pedestrian.

Or testing your gun for a ballistics match to a bullet from a murder scene.

Or taking your fingerprint to test against those at a crime scene.

Or testing your DNA for a match, etc.

Why would you consider it compelling testimony? What is it about this data that is different than the examples I have listed?

6. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    I would like to say that I don't agree with these boxes. I worked at a water company that installed units that were supposed to talk to the central hub and inform them of what maintenance was due.. right after the workers union signed off on it, they start busting people for idling for longer than 5 minutes and threatening people with being fired for going 5 over the speed limit despite CA V.C. 22350. They'd monitor your route and make sure you didn't deviate to other locations. It was bullshit, I wasn't part of the union, I only worked part time for the lab and my boss called up and said I did 5 over here and there and I told him I was going with traffic and I would no longer use company vehicles for the remainder of the contract (which was a month) and that's how I "quit" my job, because my boss hung up on me lol

So having witnessed a slippery slope on full display, I'm hesitant to go along with anything like this. they say no GPS and it's your data. then "in 2015 there will be GPS tracking to blah blah blah" and shit doesnt get warrantied because you went over 75% throttle within 4 minutes of start up or some cheesy bullshit

7. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    gasgasman

gasgasman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any automobile that has an air bag system has a data recorder.

Only the manufacturer can access the info. An insurance company or police dept can get a court order to review the data.

8. Dec 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    These boxes do not transmit. They don't have the ability to transmit.
    And if that time comes, THEN will be the time to fight.
    At this point, it is merely recording the last few minutes of conditions prior to the accident. It's not even recording as much as aircraft recorders (which the pilots' union fought).
    Not true.

Airbags predate recorders by over 10 years. The first airbags appeared around 1981. Airbags OR automatic seatbelts have been mandatory since 1989 in the US. 1998, passenger airbags became required.
    Every vehicle sold in the US since 1999 has had at least two airbags, recorders didn't start appearing until around 2000, but are STILL not on every vehicle with air bags, including Mercedes and Audi.

While a court order is required for police to access the information, they do not have to involve the manufacturer.
    That might have been the case a few years ago with the Toyota units (that's what we were told, that only Toyota could do it, and Toyota only had ONE download module :rolleyes:), but the systems used in American vehicles can be accessed by anyone in possession of the Bosch module and software. Pretty good chance that every police agency has that.
    But to use it would still require a warrant, or it could be downloaded under "search incident to arrest".

If you are involved in an accident and are arrested, the arrest itself is sufficient warrant for searching the vehicle for drugs and alcohol, as well as retrieval of the EDR information.

9. Dec 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)

I'd be ok with it once there is a bill in place making the data the owners data that has to be court ordered in order to retrieve it from said owner

10. Dec 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This is in process. It's on a state by state basis and something like 13 states have already addressed it.

11. Dec 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    obama would have complete control of everything if he had the chance

12. Dec 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    :wileyC:

Products Discussed in

To Top