1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automotive Lighting 101

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Too Stroked, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Mar 20, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    You can add some auxiliary driving lights, but you have to be very careful with what pattern you get. There are some street legal driving pattern lights available, out there, but most of them are not SAE compliant. So beam pattern / discipline is all over the map. Some are good and some suck. Secondly, a true SAE driving beam is not legal to use with your low beams. (Only with your high beams.)

The beauty of the Ultimate Headlight Upgrade is that you utilize the optics of your OEM headlights which are actually pretty good. You just get more light in the same pattern. And - if aimed properly to factory specs - you won't bother anybody with your low beams.

The first question you need to think about and answer is where do you need more light and when.

SenatorBlutarsky likes this.
  2. Mar 20, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    If you're looking for more light immediately in front of and out to the sides of your truck, you might want to consider changing your fog lights over to something better - but still approved for on-road use. Our resident lighting expert (@crashnburn80) got some great pics of some of the best (selective yellow) SAE compliant fogs in the attached thread. He and I have the same Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fogs in our trucks and it would be hard to ask for better lighting.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/page-142

If you want better distance lighting, we can talk about that too. Just remember that you shouldn't combine the two because it will mess with your eyesight. You want to use fog pattern lights and driving pattern lights separately. In fact that's part of the reason why your factory fogs shut off when you engage your high beams.

SenatorBlutarsky likes this.
  3. Mar 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    SenatorBlutarsky

SenatorBlutarsky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB...Driftered,
    I'm definitely most disappointed with the high beam performance. Per your recommendation, I'll start with the ultimate headlight upgrade that you referenced and see how I like it. If I want a little more then I'll look in to some auxiliary lights.

I'll probably plan to do the fog light upgrade whenever my current fogs burn out.

Products Discussed in

To Top