1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auxiliary lights in MO? Been ticketed?

Discussion in 'Mid West' started by Polymerhead, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Anyone been tickited for too many lights in MO? I work with someone connected to LE and she swears my lights are illegal. Statutes say "At least 2 headlights" and "no more than 3 Auxiliary lights". I have factory fogs and 2 KC lights plus my headlights. She's saying that my 2 fogs + my 2 KC lights = 4 aux lights. Curious if anyone has been pulled over or cited for too many aux lights? I don't use mine onroad, obviously. They're mostly for show.

2. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    I have 6 lights on my truck not including the head lights and no It's never been mentioned. when I've been pulled over.

3. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    In Missouri, I assume? This is a state statute.

4. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    no I'm in washington, the for lights are factory. My interpretation of the law is that you can only have 3 auxiliary lights and by auxiliary meaning aftermarket, you are well within the law.

Unless you're a complete dick to the officer they won't bother to write you up for
    "excessive amount of lights not vehicle"

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    RyanLikesTacos

RyanLikesTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Charlotte, NC
    My father is a Kansas City cop and I asked him about this with a previous vehicle I had two headlights and 4 aux lights (6 total when all on). He said the Missouri statute said 4 lights total were allowed (2 headlights, 2 aux lights), and the Gestapo will write tickets on it (he doesnt give a rat's ....).

6. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, there is a specific statute subsection that says only 4 may be lighted at one time. I don't run the fogs + the headlights + the KCs though. I may actually pull the fogs - they're useless anyway. I'd rather have my KC lights.

DSC_0021_a95122d3dc46c397149323fec7005b60c0ac3326.jpg

The funny thing is, that some cars like the Jeep Liberty come from the factory illegal. They have 4 Aux lights mounted way above the 12" to 42" height mentioned in the statute.

7. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    A limit on how many auxiliary lights you can have? What the hell is the point of that?

8. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    I don't know, but I think if you got ticketed for having one extra auxiliary light that wasn't even on, that'd about be the definition of a dick cop with a small life.

9. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Blueitrgsr

Blueitrgsr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Gainesville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 Reg Cab 4wd
    Some bilsteins, OME 885's, and an AAL.
    I know in Florida you can have two aux and your main headlights on. But there is a reason they call em off road lights.

10. Apr 20, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    Chris01ci

Chris01ci Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Stock
    I wonder what counts as "auxiliary lights." The newer german cars have LED rope lights, headlights and fog lights (so 6). Actually I think the cadi cts has the same set up too... If anyone in the St. Louis area gets a ticket for it, let me know I would love to fight it for you.

11. Apr 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    She is correct.

Fogs must shut off with the high beams, and the driving lights must shut off with the low beams.
    Wired properly there should be no issues since you will have no more than 4 lamps at any one time.
    Any lights higher than 36" must be covered when on the highway.

12. Apr 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's actually federal... FMVSS 218 is the governing document.
    Some states may have more strict laws, but I haven't heard of any.
    The main thing is that not all states equally enforce federal laws.

13. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Chris01ci

Chris01ci Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Stock
    This is interesting because I have owned two cars (1996 Audi A4 and a 2007 BMW 335i coupe) that have violated this from the factory (I was the original owner so I know it wasn't modded). Both of those cars allowed the high beams and the fogs to be on at the same time. Both of them had separate housing for the high beam and low beam and the fogs were separate from those. Newer models of both of the cars I had do not allow for the fogs to be on with the high beams. I have always wondered why those cars did this.... I guess because they were both first production runs of a new model and something slipped under the DOT radar....

14. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    California allows one pair of auxillary lights designed to supplement low beams, one pair designed to supplement high beams, one pair of fogs. At no time are you allowed to have more than four lights on. Factory headlights with four bulbs on for high beam count as two lights.

My general experience with the cops around here is that they don't give a rat's ass about equipment violations. Everyone I know that's been ticketed for anything (never for lighting) got their ticket after being stopped for something else.

I do what I want as far as accessories. I don't speed, don't drive like an asshat, don't leave my brights on approaching other cars. I have never had a problem with the 5-0. At one time I drove a bright red 4x4 Toyota with 2 8inch off road lights on the bumper, auxillary reverse flood lights on the back, Hella E code headlights with 100 watt high beams, and four KC daylighter style lights on the roof. The roof lights were not covered, as they are required to be in CA. The cops and highway patrol never even looked my way.

Your setup looks pretty innocent. Don't piss the cops off and you'll be fine. They'd rather mess with the bro running a lift, no mufflers, wide tires, no mudflaps, and drop in HIDs.

15. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    They also came with covers for those lights. That made them legal in all but a couple of states if I recall. I know there was a state or two that you could not buy the Liberty Renegade in because of the roof bar.

16. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I drive like a sane person, and I even wave to the local deputies. :p I'll probably just leave them as-is. My tint's not legal either, and I'm definitely not removing that so it's not like they can't pull me over and ticket me anyway if they really want to.

17. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The rope lights and such would be considered parking lights or running lights.

I remember back in the 80s, Ford/Mercury had a fully illuminated grille in the Mercury Sable (Taurus).

There's probably some detail point in the statute that specifies wattage or lumens for parking/running/clearance lights vs projected beams.
    And of course, with the laws lagging modern technology, they are ultimately going to have to modify the law to either reflect projected lumens only, or wattage but specify the technology since 55 watts is not the same on Tungsten, halogen, HID, and LED.

18. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Around here it depends on the city.
    Some will cite you with a non-correctable for window tint, illegal lighting that you installed, etc...
    Their feeling is that YOU did the modification, and in their mind, the "fixit" is for equipment failures yet to be detected.

The difference is $30 to have it signed off and a $400+ fine (and you still have to peel the tint).

My city, they'll use a mechanical as a reason to pull you over. If you play 20 questions with them and are clean, they let you go.

Products Discussed in

To Top