1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

auxillary lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mcaquatic, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jan 28, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    mcaquatic

mcaquatic [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I just put new head lights on my truck. They look great, but are not the best for lighting up the road. I kind of want to use this as an excuse to buy some axillary driving lights. I am interesting in buying the IPF 968. My question is are these street legal to drive with as an additional light source? Or are they supposed to be used for off road driving only?

I have already been pulled over for illegal bulbs in the past and really do not want to deal with that head ache again.

Thanks

2. Jan 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    A dumb question, but how did they cite you for illegal bulbs? The cop actually get out a light meter, or make you pull the bulb out, or what?

3. Jan 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Yeah, that makes sense - a street illegal lamp more than bulb. I think some states are kind of vague. A pair of headlights may count as "one" light, some states say 4 lights (ie, driving and fogs, or driving and Hellas, etc).

Wierd that he'd get tagged for the bulb though.

4. Jan 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    mcaquatic

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I dont know the exact manufacturer of the bulb, but it was a cheaper version of HID that a friend gave to me. I had them in my truck for three years with no problem. The officer that pulled me over for them said he was able to identify them as illegal since they had a blue tint to them. He said they were for off road use only Basically I had to pull them out and put the original bulbs back in to get rid of the ticket.

I really want to get this new additional set of lights, but only if I can actually use them while on the road. They look cool, but i dont want to spend that kind of money for a grill ornament.

5. Jan 31, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    mcaquatic

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I called one of the stores selling the lights. They told me the box says they are street legal, but advised me to call my local police. Apparently even if they are approved street legal I can still get pulled over. When I get around to it I will call my local police station and post what they say.

Products Discussed in

To Top