1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aviation BS and Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JB, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Jul 8, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    For those on the mechanic side of the house:
    ED88235A-F0EE-4D5D-B2D9-AB8D64B6EC35.jpg

2. Jul 8, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD OR inferno
    My freakin word we couldnt find a socket one day and shut it the fuck down for two hours before finding it in a ‘helpers’ pocket of his coveralls that he had taken off earlier.
    635D0649-0F0D-4237-B409-CD7EEA76CA52.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  3. Jul 8, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Funny how that’s how it always happens. Couldn’t find one of our tool tags we use as collateral for tool crib items one night and spent about 3hrs looking for it. Mysteriously found it 3 days later sitting inside an aircraft that had flown multiple times (conveniently right inside the door). Person that found it was the one we suspected of losing it in the first place.

4. Jul 8, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
  5. Jul 8, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    Trent

Trent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Lexus GX460
    Gunshot-6A likes this.
  6. Jul 8, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Board game.
    Saw it at Target

7. Jul 8, 2020 at 11:11 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
  8. Jul 8, 2020 at 1:39 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    I'm wondering how the airspeed through the engine turbines was managed to keep from self destructing. Alas I know nothing.

9. Jul 8, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Bad news for our colleagues over at a United today. I hope they don’t actually end up needing to furlough as many people as they sent WARN letters to.

aggr0crag likes this.
  10. Jul 8, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    oooh....Crawler....wanna touch it :drool:
    AK's a whole different world for pilots. Theres a million planes up there and just about as many jobs. The good ones are pretty competitive though. You either gotta know somebody or have a ton of experience...on land and water. Getting your A&P certifications would help too. More likely to get hired if you can fly AND fix the planes.

pledge was always a favorite. there's a special cleaner for plexi that's marketed to snowmobile/motorcycle owners too

gone all pampered now that you've given up the baby jets :rolleyes:

it never stopped here....so many folks came to Big Sky to quarantine. The private planes were about the only ones flying here for a while. Tourist season has picked up a little since Yellowstone is open but that side of things is still a little slow. The rental car corral here is still nearly full. Would normally be wiped out this time of year.

11. Jul 8, 2020 at 11:42 PM
    tamer

tamer hamerworx.com

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR AC, MGM, 4x4, 6spd MT
  12. Jul 9, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    JeffRoyJenkins

JeffRoyJenkins Essentially Non-Essential

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Nothing too exciting... maybe a little rust
    Freeze every muscle in your body and listen to every tink in the hopes you have an idea where it ended up... and whatever you do don't try to be a badass and catch it only to end up swatting it to the other side of the plane.

One day I dropped an apex bit and I know I heard the damn thing hit the floor, spent an hour on my hands and knees looking for it only to find it in a pocket on my reflective vest.

Gunshot-6A, Hardscrabble and 95 taco like this.
  13. Jul 9, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Another newb question or three if anyone would care to indulge me.

My Commercial Pilot program gives me most of the endorsements/certs I need to move up to AK and work with some friends up there.

But I need to get my ATP between this and that.
    Any insight in the best way to go about getting that other than just putting in the required hours for overall flight time, instrument time, night time, cross-country time, etc?

For those who’ve gone from your CPL to your ATP, are logging those hours the main thing to focus on or are there other steps that make that best/easier/etc?

Thank you!

(I’m aware I’m getting way ahead of myself and usually have no problem waiting but the VA Vocational Rehab peeps like to have everything timeline/planned out in order to approve it so the more information I bombard him with the better. Thanks again!)

14. Jul 9, 2020 at 7:55 PM
    CFI AandP

CFI AandP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '18 BBP DCSB Limted
    Earn time any LEGAL way you can. That's all there is to it. If you're going for full ATP, not the R-ATP, then you'll need 1500 TT and 500XC (50NM, landings away from departure not required). So roughly 3:1 ratio of flight time to cross country time. So flying sky divers, or sight seeing tours may not help with the 500XC time since you won't go 50NM from the departure point.

15. Jul 9, 2020 at 8:12 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Thank you so much for the experienced feedback.

As soon as I finish my CPL I’ll just start finding every possible way to meet those requirements. I have no problem with getting creative or putting in the hustle.

How long do you think it would take to go from 250+ to 1,500+ for someone who’s willing to work hard at it but also lives where there’s bad weather most of the year?

16. Jul 9, 2020 at 10:04 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    The Confederate air force is now known as the commemorative air force and flys/maintains old warbirds.

Gunshot-6A and slander like this.
  17. Jul 9, 2020 at 10:50 PM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    It doesn’t take long if you become a CFI and hustle. A little over a year in that case. It might be difficult to find a job with only 1500 hours though, unless you have an in somewhere. There will be lots of furloughed airline guys competing for jobs in the coming months. The hope is that the flying jobs return to how they were sooner than later, but it’s best to prepare for a competitive job market for the coming years.

JB[OP] likes this.
  18. Jul 10, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I plan to do CFI work for sure. I’ve talked to a buddy about delivering planes for my cross country hours as well. I don’t want to get too too far ahead of myself but finishing Commercial is my first goal, getting those 1,500 and ATP is next. I can start worrying about work up north once that rolls around ha. I have a few pilot friends in Alaska and my closest friend who flies with a lot of people to go hunting/etc. so it’s no in or guarantee, but those are the people I’ll be asking about jobs in about 3+ years when I’m done with all of this.

Thanks again for all the feedback! ✌

MatthewMay1[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jul 10, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ...^^^... I knew some of the guys in the CAF. They had a P-51 and some other cool planes south of me in the Peachtree City, GA area.

About 4 years ago, another friend of mine gave the CAF a donation (about $2,300) and went for a 45 minute P-51 ride that he said was FANTASTIC :eek:

I always thought that the CAF was headquartered there too .. :confused:

CAF name changed to be more PC now ... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  20. Jul 10, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD OR inferno