1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aviation BS and Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JB, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Aug 3, 2021 at 9:32 PM
    FloTaco

FloTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR DC 4X4
    Uh oh we got a Jayhawk guy here?

FlyingWolfe likes this.
  2. Aug 3, 2021 at 10:08 PM
    I.eat.tacos

I.eat.tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve Rogers
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD 4x4 Sport
    Yea!

Fly 60!

3. Aug 3, 2021 at 11:04 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    At first glance I read that as get out of the Tupperware.

MatthewMay1 and Colton58D like this.
  4. Aug 4, 2021 at 3:15 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD OR inferno
    One of our Chiefs was the same. Every time we had a Jayhawk on board he raved about it being a real helo etc. Dolphin would show up hed turn his nose up at it. :rofl:

5. Aug 4, 2021 at 5:11 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    and if i were the pilot/crew of the Augusta Westland CH-149 in my signature, i'd be laughing at the pissing contest going on. That said being a ground SAR person working under the helicopter, there are times much prefer working under a smaller helicopter. That CH-149 has a 100mph downwash!

CaptAmerica likes this.
  6. Aug 4, 2021 at 1:12 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Kids. Can you identify my avatar. I was stationed at Eglin when the 60 & 64 were undergoing testing in the climatic hanger.

davidstacoma and ETAV8R like this.
  7. Aug 4, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ...^^^... The US military is an awesome place to get your fixed wing and/or rotary instructions (getting both is an added plus).
    Great MOS you have and congratulations on being in the SAR business.

My buddy has a son at the US Air Force Academy and is getting a pilot's slot.
    The savings on an excellent university degree coupled with flight instructions is phenomenal.

I am curious what a fixed wing military license costs Uncle Sam today? I know that it will differ greatly on type of aircraft and hours necessary to become experienced to a basic level.

I have a friend who teaches rotary at Ft. Rucker and he mentioned the massive amounts of money lost when a foreign pilot in training "jumps ship" and stays in US or goes to Canada and does not go home.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  8. Aug 4, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    I.eat.tacos

I.eat.tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve Rogers
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD 4x4 Sport
    HH-43

9. Aug 4, 2021 at 2:09 PM
    FloTaco

FloTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR DC 4X4
    As you mentioned, it depends on the platform but the military is now using the T6 Texan II as a trainer which is fairly pricy. I’m not sure how my training bill was divided up but upon graduation from flight training with dual ratings they quote a $1 million investment in each pilot. This was 8 years ago.

SOSHeloPilot[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 4, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
  11. Aug 4, 2021 at 4:44 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    And how is it related to The Gambler's Special...?

12. Aug 5, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    Groan Old

Groan Old Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Newton NC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2011 SR5 4X4,Double Cab, V6/auto
    You may be interested in my son-in-law's experience so far. He and my daughter live in Kendall, FL. and he flies out of Tamiami Executive Airport (KTMB). They moved to Miami specifically for him to do his flight training there. He started in 2019 at Pilot Training Center, one of several flying schools at the airport. He's 26, and a Colombian National, and part of his struggle early on was getting his permanent residence card. He flies at least twice a week, sometimes as much as four times a week. He built a simulator to use at home so he could practice when he's not actually in the air. To date, he has 310 hours total flight time. He has received his private, instrument, and commercial licenses and ratings, and all he needs to complete his CFI is the exam and check ride. He got his spin endorsement and high performance aircraft endorsement this past week, said it was the most fun he's had so far. He got his spin training in a GameBird aerobatic plane.

So, two and a half years and about $30K to get where he is now. Once he gets the CFI, he'll be able to make money while building his time, rather than spending it. His next steps are CFII and AME (multi-engine) and AMEI. Then it's ATP and type-rating. The biggest hold-back to building time before getting the CFI is instructor availability; it was a bit easier for his CFI training. The airlines require 1500 hours minimum total flight time to be eligible for hire, and prefer a college degree (depends on the airline, but many are requiring it to fly left seat). The degree doesn't have to be aviation-related, but it's a plus.

They've been tired of Miami lifestyle for a while, so he and my daughter are planning to move to Kannapolis/Concord, NC area, where there is a fairly thriving GA community, quite a few GA airports and some opportunities for corporate flying, too. Charlotte/Douglas International (CLT) is about 20 minutes down the road, where there is a USAir/American hub. He plans to continue his flight education there in the Concord area. They chose the area partly because it's only an hour from where I live, where my daughter grew up.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  13. Aug 5, 2021 at 11:31 AM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    Between all the NASCAR and the few NHRA race teams in that area now and the BOOM of Financial and Corp business relocating there now should be a win for a pilot.

14. Aug 5, 2021 at 11:38 AM
    SiberianTacos

SiberianTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Dbl Auto 4wd
    I play war thunder. Does that count ?

Motofox and FlyingWolfe like this.
  15. Aug 12, 2021 at 8:06 PM
    Bushed

Bushed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, ON
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR - Sold
    Cambridge Metals and Plastics Bed Bar
    A350 passing 1000 below.
    PXL_20210812_230803078.jpg

16. Aug 13, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Commuting to work by plane has been going well. It doesn’t save me any time over driving but I do get to avoid the headache of traffic and I get to log an extra .5 on every end of a work trip. Gotta get those logbook numbers up!

A3DD444B-F58A-4469-96C9-9658475F963A.jpg 300DAA51-FDE8-4562-91B6-B4333086D2A9.jpg

17. Aug 13, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    JdoubleU

JdoubleU Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hickory Flat, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘11 Prerunner DCLB
    So, do they charge you hangar fees or just take it out of your check?

18. Aug 13, 2021 at 10:52 PM
    aaronatl

aaronatl ©1975

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron Nrsa
    In A Big Country
    Vehicle:
    it hauls tostitos
    I miss the MD88
    Quick to speed up , hard to slow down
    No need to square up a turn
    bus tie breaker relays , with attendant chime
    https://youtu.be/2nJ6ljy_3sQ

Hardscrabble and gsubioguy like this.
  19. Aug 15, 2021 at 7:05 AM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    None of the above. I usually park it on the ramp but every now and then one of the line guys will put it in the hangar for me just to be nice

20. Aug 15, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    The odds of one actually landing a job with a race team are not great. I remember back in college in the early 2000s when the race teams flight departments were way bigger than they are now (think 5-6 king air 200s carting people around, as opposed to 2 regional jets like they have now, or outsourcing to airline/large group charter companies) the pilots would just laugh at us when we asked about the likelihood of landing a job with them after flight school. Basically you have to know someone high up in the teams REALLY well to even land an interview.

gsubioguy likes this.
To Top