1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

avic-z110BT vs kenwood 8120

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by audi2000, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    audi2000

audi2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rockwood Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRDoffroad 4x4 6spd
    I have 8120 installed in the Tacoma, only 1 complaint-the BT mic is useless.
    Just installed the z110 in GFs Rav4, the ipod IF is nice- better than Kenwood, graphics are the same as an ipod. The BT mic is great!
    The nav system sucks, she wants to get rid of it because the nav is cumbersome to use, there are no speed limit warnings displayed. POIs are better in Kenwood. She also likes the car icon the Kenwood displays, only option is an arrow in 110.
    Sound is same as Kenwood.
    I'll probably swap the 8120 for the 110, only because the handsfree is more usable than the 8120. And she'll be happy.

2. Jan 30, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    derk

derk Member

Member:
    I have a Pioneer D3 and I was thinking of upgrading to a z110 since they've come down in price. $800 on Ebay. Pioneer does differ from Garmin ( I also own a Garmin) which I know Kenwoods are based on. My Pioneer POI's suck big time, but navigation pointing out which lane and directions is good. I put the new F series in a friends car and found it much slower and the nav voices seemed to have static. The Garmin is better at finding POI's but it seems to give less direct directions.

You said the Nav sucks on the z110, can you tell a bit more detail about why it was cumbersome? I turned the speed warnings off on my friends F model, they got irritating.

I like the idea of having an SD card slot for updates, coming from a D3 where you have to have a DVD for the nav to work moving up to a z110 would be welcomed.

3. Jan 31, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    audi2000

audi2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rockwood Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRDoffroad 4x4 6spd
    We took a trip to FLA from Maine last month, many times had to resort to map. The NAV would get totally confused. Direct us to a route which made no sense. I am familiar with the 8120(Garmin) which we both prefer.
    I agree that lane assignments are good.

To Top