1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Avid Bar Coatings???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BG KY Jets Fan, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    BG KY Jets Fan

BG KY Jets Fan [OP] Dagger Taco *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bowling Green Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 2WD DC
    Roof Rack, TRD skid plate, TRD cat back exhaust, Pioneer AVIC-930BT, subwoofers, Avid bar, Westin side steps, FLYZEYE strip, and Blacked out Badges. More to come....
    Super excited to have my Avid bar on the way!:D I would like some advice on what to finish it with.:confused: Powdercoat or Line-x? I do have the TRD skid plate. Perhaps get it that color to match? My truck is Magnetic Grey. Thoughts??

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    opus5150

opus5150 Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I used Rustoleum bed liner. Worked fine. Easy touch ups, too. Probably the cheaper way out. Mileage may vary.

3. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    Oregon Territory
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    STOCK: DRL, Tow Package, All Weather Mats HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Color-matched Grille, Heated Wet Okoles, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails
    My Avid side steps are being fabbed up now, and when they come in I plan to just get some flat black spray paint. I figure that is the cheapest, easiest way to effectively coat it. If it gets too dinged up, repaint is easy. How does that rustoleum bed liner feel/look? Is it easy to apply and reapply if necessary for repairs?

4. Jan 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    opus5150

opus5150 Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I prepped the Avid bars first by wiping them down with acetone. From there I used an etching primer by Rustoleum. Two coats of primer, then sprayed the bars with the bedliner. It's held up pretty good, a few rock dings here and there, but because the bedliner is textured, the touch ups don't show. (as much).

5. Jan 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    BG KY Jets Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bowling Green Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 2WD DC
    Roof Rack, TRD skid plate, TRD cat back exhaust, Pioneer AVIC-930BT, subwoofers, Avid bar, Westin side steps, FLYZEYE strip, and Blacked out Badges. More to come....
    I do alot of highway driving. I have niks on my front bumper, grill and even on my freaking headlight! I was just thinking the line-x or powdercoated would work best so I don't have to touch it up. I appreciate all the imput and will post a pic when i get it all done!

6. Jan 9, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    JayEMS

JayEMS Active Member

Member:
    Bright's Grove, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Black
    BHLM, Avid Light Bar, Extang Solid Fold tonneau, Interior LED's, GROM iPhone interface, Michelin A/T2, Weathertech liners, 2011 FJ 17" wheels powder coated black
    I had my Avid light bar powder coated with a matte black. The guy who did it said that they can apply way more powder to a matte coat without the worry of it running. Has held up awesome so far (5 mths) with mostly hwy driving and lots of rocks sht at me from transport trucks...not one chip yet.
    [​IMG]

7. Jan 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    BG KY Jets Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bowling Green Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 2WD DC
    Looks awesome Jay!

8. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM
    TacoDoc5150

TacoDoc5150 New Member

Member:
    For those of you who had the light bar powder coated - how much did you pay?

To Top