1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Avoid Discount Tire mail-in rebates like the plague

Discussion in 'Discount Tire Direct' started by CRU, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Dec 16, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    CRU

CRU [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Cooper Discoverer ATP 285/50, Bilstein 5100's all around, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, Clazzio seat covers, BHLM with removed turn lens, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    Years ago I learned to avoid any sale with a mail in rebate. After my third time getting screwed by a company and having a rebate denied over some frivolous reason, I vowed to only buy if the rebate was instant.

Well after missing the $100 off discount tire ebay sale a few weeks ago, I saw the black friday sale they had that offered up to $100 off on a set of select tires. Great news, I thought. Since I missed the sale on ebay, I wanted to catch it this time. Otherwise, I would have waited for the ebay sale to come around again next year. Found the tires I wanted, verified on their web page the rebate amount was in fact $100 on that set and not "up to", called up the 800 number, and spoke to the rep, Colin. I asked him TWICE to verify the $100 rebate on those tires. He verified it was for $100 so I bought the set. Fast forward a few weeks. I check the status of the rebate and it says I've been approved ... for $75. WHAT THE S%#&!!! :annoyed: :frusty:

I immediately contact support through the chat line. They proceed to tell me that the tires I bought were only eligible for $75. WHAT!! I called BS. I know what I saw, what I was told, and what I bought. The whole reason was because of the missed $100 on the ebay sale. After explaining it to them, I got the blow off message of "well call the 800 number". My first thought was, "who the heck have I been chatting with this whole time?". What ever company mans the chat line needs to be replaced.

Long story short, I broke my own rule and got screwed for it. Lesson learned. Never again, Discount Tire. Learn from my mistake. If you see a sale from Discount Tire, or ANY other vendor, in the future, make sure it's an instant discount or stay clear of it. Don't trust their mail-in rebate amount.

Next I have to try to explain this to a phone rep on their 800 number and prey they'll honor their advertised rebate.

2. Dec 16, 2016 at 1:30 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    you have any pics from the site when you made the purchase, any docs you printed, receipt anything? How much of your time is $25 worth?

3. Dec 16, 2016 at 1:36 PM
    MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pork Rind Extraordinaire

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Prerunner
    My thought too. Can't even take my lady out to eat for $25.

Coot83 and Jester243 like this.
  4. Dec 16, 2016 at 1:36 PM
    hungrycoyotes

hungrycoyotes Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco 4x4 Dblcb
    Flowmaster 40 muffler, LED Bed Lights, AFE Drop In Filter, BFG KO2 265/70/17
    My experience with Discount Tire mail in rebate was the exact opposite. We made an "eligible purchase" for $100 mail in rebate in October and forgot to file the paperwork for it. I called it in a couple of days after expiration and they still accepted it no problem. Got my cash card within two weeks of calling.

5. Dec 16, 2016 at 1:46 PM
    Discount Tire Direct

Discount Tire Direct Wheel and Tire Guys Vendor

Member:
    Thank you for touching base with us here and for choosing Discount Tire, @CRU. Our apologies for the confusion with your rebate and for making you feel your issue wasn't important.

Rebate amounts are clearly marked on our website and in the shopping cart, so I'm not sure specifically what happened here. If you would, please send me a PM with the order confirmation number along with your first and last name. I'd like to look deeper into this for you.

Thank you again for choosing Discount Tire and for allowing us the opportunity to help!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  6. Dec 16, 2016 at 1:50 PM
    Bravisimo

Bravisimo So many mods, so little money.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCLB
    Tint, headlights wrapped & rear lights smoked, power outlet mod., grill & rear bumper wrapped, Falken A/T 3W,
    I didn't have the experience you had, but I can tell u is that I saw that exact same deal on line at eBay. So with the rebate, my tires would come to $600 I believe (don't quote me on that). Point is I talked to my local Discount Tire Store and told him of the deal. He said he would price match and slap the tires on the next day instead of waiting 4-5 days for the tires to arrive. So i said done. He ordered the tires and they came in. Got them installed and got charged what he promised. Pretty happy with what I spent on the tires, I got the Falken WildPreak 3 A/T. So far so good.:thumbsup:

Discount Tire Direct likes this.
  7. Dec 16, 2016 at 2:00 PM
    CRU

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Cooper Discoverer ATP 285/50, Bilstein 5100's all around, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, Clazzio seat covers, BHLM with removed turn lens, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    Since you guys are obviously rolling in dough, you can both send me $12.50 each. Would you shrug it off so easily if someone grabbed $25 out of your hands? Doubt it.

It's the principal. They offered it, honor it. The $100 was the ENTIRE reason I bought them at the time. Otherwise I would have waited. Mentalities like that is exactly why multi-million dollar corporations pull this. They want you to forget to submit the rebate, forget the deadline, and say oh well.

Lakeboy and MadDaddy like this.
  8. Dec 16, 2016 at 2:11 PM
    Discount Tire Direct

Member:
    We just replied to your PM, @CRU. Thank you again for sending the information over.

Your purchase actually qualifies for $145.00 in total rebates: Our $75.00 Black Friday through Cyber Monday promotion and Continentals $70.00 mail-in rebate. I'm thinking maybe there was confusion surrounding the total amounts, due to the two separate rebates.

We look forward to your reply and thank you again for allowing us the opportunity to help!

rolltyd, Lakeboy, DrFunker and 4 others like this.
  9. Dec 16, 2016 at 2:15 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    we're not saying to shrug it off, but you're pretty wound up over $25, that's all I'm saying. Looks like you will end up getting more that what you expected from Discount Tire, I would say it worked out well for you in the end.

MadDaddy likes this.
  10. Dec 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM
    Discount Tire Direct

Member:
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us, guys! We appreciate your support :thumbsup:

T4RFTMFW, Bravisimo and scottalot like this.
  11. Dec 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM
    kashtyaatsi

kashtyaatsi Most Normal 3rd Gen Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Asher
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LPC's
    Broken
    I've only had good experiences with discount. They seem to always take care of their customers.

12. Dec 16, 2016 at 2:22 PM
    scottalot

scottalot Identified

Member:
    First Name:
    Stockalot
    The Right Coast
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4 MGM Love Machine
    Back Stock Again..Dakkars,305/70/16 MT's, Extended length Fox Coilovers, Fox RR rear Shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakar Leaf packs, LED Map and Dome, Breather relocate, Slimer from Ghost-busters starut up screen, Vent Visors, LED Pod's on Ditch Brackets soon, Level 8 Strike 6 Wheels, New MT Tars - Fierce Attitude, SOS front bumper -steel, SOS bed rack, LED white marker lights, LED reverse, TRD exhaust, Wheelers Super Bumps up front, SOS sliders bolt on with fill plates, Csjummper2003 White/Amber DTRL and white parking led bulbs, RTT rack basket Sold 2013, sold 2014 Tacoma. All listed stuff was on the '14 Bed Mat, WeatherTech Rain Guards, Ultra Gauge, TW Sticker amongst others, Useless Free OEM Bug Deflector, Flyzeye, OME Kit with 885's and Dakar and Nitro Shocks front and Rear . Tailgate mod, SOS Concepts 1/4" Skid Plate, White LED's interior Dome and Maps, Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar 275/70/17, Wet Okole Seat Covers - full piping in Charcoal Grey, Lamin-X Green Fog light film, 17"x8 -10 offset Level 8 MK6 wheels in Gun Metal Finish, SOS Concepts Sliders W/ Kickout 12/21/14, Stubby antenna, LED reverse lights, lift removed 2/20/15 - making changes and trying to make up my mind

:woot: Can't beat that.

I too have nothing but amazing customer service and experiences with Discount Tire

Discount Tire Direct likes this.
  13. Dec 16, 2016 at 2:24 PM
    cllowe24

cllowe24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I love discount tire and always use them. I have never had a issue and they always bend over backwards to please. Maybe because I always go in I guess.

14. Dec 16, 2016 at 3:51 PM
    CRU

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    I was well aware of the continental rebate at the time of purchase. It was on the discount tire's web page for the tires. Right beside the $100 rebate advertisement. You're telling me the same thing I've heard already. Your system is saying it's $75. My point is your WEB PAGE that advertised the tires had the rebates in a huge font (kinda hard to miss) at the time I purchased them. It was advertising $100. And your rep confirmed this over the phone. Perhaps he simply looked at the web page as well. Who knows. But sometime between then an now, that $100 changed to $75. I was on that page multiple time that day between comparison shopping for hours on other sites and placing my order. What ever the case, I know what I saw. It's obvious you nor anyone at Discount is going to do anything about this. Like I said. Lesson learned. Never again.

scottalot likes this.
  15. Dec 16, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 TWSS Enforcer

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '04 V6 3.4 TRD
    zip ties and scotch tape
    you sure it didn't say up to 100?

scottalot likes this.
  16. Dec 16, 2016 at 4:08 PM
    Discount Tire Direct

Member:
    Hmm... this one has me stumped. I checked with our web team and they couldn't see anything from their end regarding the tires you purchased reflecting a rebate amount of $100.00. Two days after the promotion started, though, your set of tires went from a $25.00 savings to the $75.00 savings.

Nevertheless, I'd still like to help... PM inbound.

Each tire model on our website lists the corresponding rebate amount, it wouldn't say "up to" but rather the exact amount. The only place we state "up to" are in advertisements, like banner ads and promotional threads.

Jester243 and scottalot like this.
  17. Dec 16, 2016 at 4:09 PM
    scottalot

scottalot Identified

Member:
    First Name:
    Stockalot
    The Right Coast
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4 MGM Love Machine
    Back Stock Again..Dakkars,305/70/16 MT's, Extended length Fox Coilovers, Fox RR rear Shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakar Leaf packs, LED Map and Dome, Breather relocate, Slimer from Ghost-busters starut up screen, Vent Visors, LED Pod's on Ditch Brackets soon, Level 8 Strike 6 Wheels, New MT Tars - Fierce Attitude, SOS front bumper -steel, SOS bed rack, LED white marker lights, LED reverse, TRD exhaust, Wheelers Super Bumps up front, SOS sliders bolt on with fill plates, Csjummper2003 White/Amber DTRL and white parking led bulbs, RTT rack basket Sold 2013, sold 2014 Tacoma. All listed stuff was on the '14 Bed Mat, WeatherTech Rain Guards, Ultra Gauge, TW Sticker amongst others, Useless Free OEM Bug Deflector, Flyzeye, OME Kit with 885's and Dakar and Nitro Shocks front and Rear . Tailgate mod, SOS Concepts 1/4" Skid Plate, White LED's interior Dome and Maps, Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar 275/70/17, Wet Okole Seat Covers - full piping in Charcoal Grey, Lamin-X Green Fog light film, 17"x8 -10 offset Level 8 MK6 wheels in Gun Metal Finish, SOS Concepts Sliders W/ Kickout 12/21/14, Stubby antenna, LED reverse lights, lift removed 2/20/15 - making changes and trying to make up my mind

Lesson from this - PM you for future purchases through DTD and get the best price/rebate before hand :)

18. Dec 16, 2016 at 4:19 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Report Undocumented Feelings

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R 4xRawr
    Seems like pretty great customer service to me.

I don't get tires from Walmart and expect them to have a real person contact me through an Internet forum complaint and give me extra discounts and personal care.

@Discount Tire Direct has provided more personal service than half my local shops.

19. Dec 16, 2016 at 4:20 PM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    This isn't nothing.
    I'll be buying my next set of tires through Discount Tire. I made the mistake of getting my almost $300ea. Cooper tires at Tread Depot. Not even 10,000 miles and I have a bad tire that cannot be balanced. local tire shop it should be covered by warranty. Tread Depot doesn't warranty anything the sell, it's in the fine print when you purchase. Only have manufacturer warranty, but Cooper won't warranty because they are not an authorized dealer? Cheaper prices from online places aren't really that good of a deal when you have problems.

20. Dec 16, 2016 at 4:22 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Report Undocumented Feelings

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R 4xRawr
    Good to know. That sucks.

To Top