1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Avoid the 6spd manual trans!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by it8ezbngrn, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Oct 6, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I have noticed this with my 07 but thought it just to be a conservation thing since you shouldnt be running the AC with the windows down???? I guess i was wrong if you say they fixed yours. anyone else notice this in theirs?

2. Oct 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
  3. Oct 6, 2009 at 10:31 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    mine makes a little noise too... an 05 w/ 40K miles on it.. it kind of sucks, but i think mechanically it is fine.. for now.. i do love the truck tho...

4. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    Its going into the dealer for them to have it a few days and look at it. They had a meeting about it down there.

5. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    TBAGRR

TBAGRR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Md
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sport
    Trd intake Doug Thorley long tubes URD short shifter Eibach front springs Tsb rear leafs
    my trans makes alot of noise to, especially at idle in neutral in a drive through fast food place, its very annoying!!!! Has anyone else had any problems with 3rd gear?? mine is very notchy, it doesnt grind but i feel like i have to push it pretty hard to get in sometimes.

6. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    baildavc

baildavc TREADING LIGHTLY!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Jasper, AL
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 white DC OR
    3 inch lift, 33's, bull bar, debadged, windows tinted, direct wired power inverter, blacked out front emblem,
    I have the same issue, the 6 spd has been an issue since the day I got it. my 01 had a great trans with 103k before I traded it with never even a hiccup. Not sure we will ever see any resolution out of Toyota, but FWIW I will buy an auto next go around.

7. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    Terrier

Terrier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7
    Is it just me? I cannot get the video to play.

8. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    TBAGRR

TBAGRR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Md
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sport
    Trd intake Doug Thorley long tubes URD short shifter Eibach front springs Tsb rear leafs
    it wasnt working for me either

9. Oct 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    UPDATE

2 1/2 Days at the dealer and I got a whole new tranny and clutch. Well see how it goes. I do not hear the usual slight chatter that I always had since day one either. I'll check it again to be sure. The real test is what will happen in 10-15K miles. If you have this issue and your under warranty start taking it in and get a "history" going.

10. Oct 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    i'm glad it worked out for you... myself and others that are out of warranty aren't so lucky

11. Oct 22, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    Its probably one part within the whole tranny causing this. I believe its the housing. They replaced the whole tranny. Thats alotta $$$ for someone to do. Hopefully they use mine to find a solution and create a TSB. If they're not well then they were just throwing money at the problem to make it go away. I must admit though, Id rather have a new tranny than a tech tearing mine down and trying to put it back together in a new case.
    So far its better than new. No noise what so ever. So when I went down there at 5K miles and asked why I had clutch chatter and they said it was normal they were full of IT. So if you have any noise now dealing with the clutch get it looked at by a dealer now. Even if they don't do anything like they did to me, get it on paper and in the computer. This way if someything happens outside of warranty you can say I had this issue before the warranty ran out. Protect yourself.

12. Oct 22, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    tarandus

tarandus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD DCab OR Supah White
    ProComp/Headstrong leveling kit, AllPro rock sliders.
    2006 6speed with 90K and no problems...

13. Oct 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Just a thought, a throw out bearing is not rocket science, its either a goofy bearing or the shaft it rides on. When you get done with the dealer, perhaps a trip to a good mechanic or a clutch replacement place( guys that specialize in it) and they might have a answer for you......perhaps they would be able to provide you with a better bearing.
    You have to wonder about the dealers.....
    Jeff 06, V6, SR5 6spd

14. Oct 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    it8ezbngrn

it8ezbngrn [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4
    Yeah right, some people didn't have any problems. I didn't say it was 100%. This thread wasn't started for the folks who didn't have any problems. No ones doing searches for "my truck runs fine"

15. Oct 22, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    And to think I got the manual for reliability... I guess we'll see when I get my mileage up there. So far I only have about 6K and I am paying close attention to it.
    I did hear however that Spec clutches have a different design bearings with their kit that is not made of metal. I don't know what it's made out of but it looks like some kind of resin/fiberglass so there is no metal to metal contact and some of the XRU guys says no problem so far...

16. Oct 22, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    My two neighbors have 04's with superchargers, one of them put a hvy dutyTRD clutch in and when I see him I will ask if they had a different bearing that came with it...
    Jeff, V6. SR5. 06,.6spd

17. Oct 23, 2009 at 4:30 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    There are bound to be problems in mass produced vehicles, with what appears to be a relatively fixable solution.....
    Never really a big fan of dealers abilities to do what they should, if the problem persists then an alternate set of mechanics should be consulted to find a fix for the problem. There are just two many manual trans installed in various Taco's over the years and there should be a solution .

Jeff, 06 V6, SR5 6spd

18. Oct 23, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I complained about the exact same issue on my 96 Tacoma. The first year I had it, it was in the dealer 18 times to resolve the noisey bearing (as well as the squeaky clutch pedal).
    Both noises always eventually came back. I finally just accepted it and 470,000km's later (on the original clutch they covered under warranty the first year) the noise was still there.
    I wouldn't worry about it being a mechanical issue, just annoying.
    It's frusrating to see after 10 + years Toyota was not learned from their issues. My 96 had a TSB for the rear leaf springs as well!!

Shawn

Products Discussed in

To Top