1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Axle Seal Leaking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by T@co_Pr3runn3r, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jul 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r [OP] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yea, more impressiveness for only 53k! One of my rear axle seals on the driver's side is leaking. I supposedly have 7yr/100yr warranty on it since it was bought certified preowned and this IS drivetrain part so I guess Monday I'll see how this plays out at the dealer. Willing to bet there will be some stupidness involved such as we can only replace the one that is leaking, you'll have to come back next week when the other one starts leaking. And then they'll be concerned about the brake shoes being soaked & that's not drivetrain so then they'll be happy to overcharge for a brake job. I have been needing to do the gear oil back there for peace of mind since it most likely has never been changed. I haven't done it since I got it in January & I doubt it ever got any attention before then.

2. Jul 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    Ktaco

Ktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Black 4x4 TRD SR5 Xtra cab.
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    did you check your diff breather. If you wheel at all it can get clogged very easy. I had a 95.5 Taco before and had 1 rear axle seal leaking. Went through all the hassle of hauling it apart and even changing the bearings then a week later the other side started. The $8 breather at toyota could have saved me hundreds if I had checked it early.

Btw Toyota told me I must change my brake pads when I told them what was happening. I didn't bother I just cleaned them with a brake pad cleaner and it worked fine.

My truck had 310 000kms on it though when this happend. Sucks that your having problems so early.

3. Jul 3, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    j1999t

j1999t Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    i just found out my axle seal is leaking too, getting it fixed tuesday, leaving my truck with toyota for warranty work for 7 hours!

but yea it sucks

4. Jul 4, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well, upon further inspection, maybe they'll do both sides. The passenger side is moist too but not dripping like the driver side. Good to hear they might do the brakes too if they are soaked. They haven't acted weird or anything tho. Also thanks for head's up on the breather. I'll mention it Monday when I take it in. I haven't had the truck off in any muddy stuff enough to clog it but who knows what went on before I got it. The thing that sucks about this is I mentioned that they looked a bit moist when having the rear main replaced by the dealer under the drivetrain warranty & they just blew it off as "normalness" & now 2 months later here we go. I did put a half inch drive on the nuts to make sure they were tight & hoped for the best at that time but alas, is just what I thought, more shitty seals. Hopefully newer ones will last longer. Just leary of all the ones that haven't been replaced yet. 46k more miles to find out with a warranty I guess.

5. Jul 6, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Took truck in this a.m., hoping for no nonsense.

6. Jul 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Good news is they are honoring their 7/100 drivetrain warranty & since the seals contaminated the rear brake shoes those are covered too. Nice. Bad news is can't have it back until tomorrow because they couldn't scrounge up 1 more seal even tho they had all day since it was dropped off promptly at 7 a.m. & there have to be at least 8 toyota dealers around the metro area. Silly, but whatever. lol. Just as long as the work is done right & no new problems as a result of this being fixed & none of my wheel locks are fucked up by impact wrenches then it'll be a win. All this means it'll rain like shit tommorrow since I'll be drivin my ass dragger lowered sportwagon to work which I try not to drive in crappy weather.

7. Jul 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well let's see.......half a day wasted before even deciding to cover work even tho it only takes a minute or so to check a VIN & see what valid warranty a vehicle has. Rest of day & next morning before they could scrounge up one of the seals even tho there's plenty of other dealers around including a second one owned by the same people 10 miles up the frwy. And me having to call them to inquire about status to even get that much going. Now to the actual work, the axle seems sealed up for now & the brakes they replaced seem to be fine so far & hopefully there's new fluid in the differential & the wheels/locks are OK but.....here's the small fail part, again with details that matter to some folks.......Had to go buy the brake adjuster hole rubber grommets & bleeder valve caps. They were there before they shoulda been there afterward. Small shit but still...and before anyone starts, it was raining when picking up the truck & I wasn't getting on the ground to micro examine in work clothes. Yes it was covered but ground was still wet from other cars coming & going. Just hoping the important stuff is right. Checked it all out in the garage at home & seems to be. Overall, not much more can reasonably be expected from having other people work on your ride nowadays. If it wasn't free then I would've done the work but I have a warranty & it'll get used when appropriate, just have to assume the risk that goes along with it. All in all, I'll give it a 7 out of 10...so far.

8. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    j1999t

j1999t Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    yeouch, i hope i dont run into that kind of problem...

9. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Is the breather only one way though...probably and then you mod it to get it up into the underbody of the bed with a filter so it can breath when it gets hot..or it sucks the seals in because its only one way. DAMN POS axle breathers!@!! Looks like a mod I will have to do because axle seals are a major PIA for dealer and you to deal with.

10. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:56 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Considering this mod as well but I'm gonna run it up to the gas filler area. There's a writeup for it here somewhere. Just a different fitting on the axle & a hose running up by fuel filler area.

11. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Just got done tearing apart my rear end of my truck. Thought I had fixed the axle seal leak last time but its back again (I think I replaced the wrong seal!)

Has anyone replaced the outter seal themselves. By looking at it I would say that I will have to have that bearing and brake back plate pressed off. Thats the only way I see I can get to that seal.

Its an 01 so please let me know if you have any idea.

12. Sep 1, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    Same thing here on 07 DC. I had both seals, all brakes shoes replaced under warranty.
    Turns out it seemes to be a "factory thing" as the spring gizmo, inside the seal had worked its way off off the seal and onto the axle!!

13. May 26, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    Check your bearings and races and axle shaft. If axle has a grove cut around it won't seal. You coul try two thing. Leave the seal about a 1/16 pround of seat moving the lip out or tighten the seal spring. Don't like tightening the seal spring if i can avoid it. You remove spring from seal untwist joint clip back 2 three coils and retwist spring back home.
    I know it sounds hack but it works and it is cheaper that buying new axle.

14. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    dani

dani Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dani
    St-Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    none
    Yeah 1 st post just because my diff seals leaked. Stealership did them under warranty last week.The bill was still $450.00 for rear shoes etc...nothing like paying $99.00 an hour. Now less then 500 k's later they are doing them again and baby Tacoma has less then 70k's on it. Make it worst the mechano says I'll see you in another 70k's. Screwed him, it's back in his hands in 4 days. Wonder if they 'll get right this time.I'll be watching that diff like a hawk from now on. Breather mod real soon!Price you pay, Tonka toy should have put the mod at factory.

To Top