1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

axle seal leaking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by trailinTaco, May 25, 2010.

1. May 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    trailinTaco

trailinTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bel Air, MD
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4x4
    3 inch suspension lift, 33 inch bfgoodrich mud terrain tires, toytech diff drop, Procomp alloy wheels, hella fog lights, black projector headlights with 8000k HID's, blacked out tail lights, two 12 inch subs, 20% tint, pioneer head unit and speakers
    My right front axle seal is leaking diff fluid. Is this a seal that you can replace outside the diff or do you have to take apart the case? And also there is some play in the cv joint. I'm not sure if that's normal?

2. May 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    yes you can replace them, and you can replace them from out side. you have to tear the front end down and pull the cv axle, the seals are relatively cheap and i got lifetime warranty cv axles from o'rileys for about $60 plus the core charge. it would be better to go ahead and slap it all in there at once if your gonna tear it down. and you will nead an alignment afterwards.

3. May 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    I have a question to add to your question- is this usually caused by a differential breather problem?

4. May 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    mine was. it was clogged up some and if the gasses cant escape there they start to blow seals. i just redone my rear brakes and the seals were leaking too. The diff. breather mod will keep them from getting clogged

5. May 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Thats what I thought. That is such a brilliant mod- it should be included with any offroad package.

6. May 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    atleast its a really cheap mod. i just havent been able to figure out if my auto transmission has a breather too or if it is sealed

7. Dec 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    GOLFMAN845

GOLFMAN845 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    2002 Black Double Cab 4x4 TRD
    Leather Interior, Hunter Bull Bar with 4" KC Driving Lights, Black Pro Comp 16" Alloy Wheels, Yokohama ATS Tires, OME 881 Coils with Bilstein 5100's set at 1", Rear Dakar Leaf Springs with Bilstein 5125's, Removed Rear Decals on Bed

Why would need an alignment after replacing the cv axle? I just did mine and didn't touch anything that has do with the alignment adjusting. Unless you take those pieces off you won't have to do an alignment. I just did my lift and had it aligned and while they did the alignment they said I needed new CV axle's. So I am pretty sure they wouldn't have aligned it, if it would need to be done again after doing. My buddy manages the shop and he wouldn't have let them do it, if it would need to be done again. I replaced the axles, but know I need to take it apart again because the seal is leaking! So I will now spend tomorrow afternoon replacing the axle seals.

Products Discussed in

To Top