1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

axle wrap while vehicle in motion?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ywen, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jul 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So my 03 @ 120K miles had be exhibiting the typical axle wrap - "bang" sometimes when coming to a stop and taking off from stop...

Edit: new description of issue based on additional testing

Ok did more test driving today.. it seems that I can only reproduce a shudder/hop easily by applying slight load to the engine starting at around 50mph. This is much more easier to reproduce while going up an incline under those conditions. With O/D disabled, this does not occur

It definitely feels like a fast frequency of the rear wheels loosing and gaining traction, and the thump sound associated with that... The gear and TC shifters do not shudder/move when this is occurring.

-So does this mean my tranny is shot? is O/D essentially the 4th gear?
    -Could the shudder be from the TC locking/unlocking?
    -Does the activation of O/D apply different torque on the driveshaft compared to with O/D off?
    -Still feel this is somehow linked to me greasing the ujoints the night before.. Can this be in anyway related?

Thanks.

2. Jul 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Well first off lets take the term "hop" out of the equation, axle hop is when the rear end (tires and all) actually leaves the ground surface, that said , your description of axle wrap tho' is correct. I'm a little confused by the statement The feeling is very similar to that of the rear wheel spinning on smooth ice and then suddenly making contact with pavement.

To me this might indicate trans slippage or ???? maybe a little more info please..

3. Jul 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    ywen

Member:
    Ok yeah the rear wheel did not lift off the ground. I'm just trying to describe the sensation.

The exact moment when I apply throttle (in the scenario I described above), when the shudder occurs, the sensation I felt was similar to spinning the rear wheels on icy surface and then the spinning wheel leaves the ice and make contact with pavement.

4. Jul 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    ywen

Member:
    Im thinking perhaps me greasing the u joints last night changed the dynamics of the joints.. Maybe one or more of them is worn, and the injection of new grease causes them to behave differently?

5. Jul 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    engine, or trans mounts?

6. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    My 1996 does the same thing. Sometimes if I am cruising around those speeds I will feel a jolt if I let off of the gas quickly. I haven't noticed it in a while though.

7. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    ywen

Member:
    Not talking about the jolt when letting off the gas... I've had that prior to today.

I'm talking about while traveling at highway speeds, applying gas lightly to gradually speed up. As soon as the gas pedal is pressed, the jolt/shudder can be felt..

8. Jul 3, 2012 at 3:57 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    I would check the motor mounts. it sounds like the same problem I have run into in the past. they do wear out over time.

9. Jul 3, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    ywen

Member:
    is motor mount issue speed related? definitely harder to reproducer at slower speeds and almost impossible to reproduce at even slower speeds.

If tranny mount is loose, would I be able to discern movement of the AUTO gear shifter along with the "thumps"? I know the shifter itself is mechanically linked to the drivetrain and it does moves with suspension movements...

10. Jul 3, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    ywen

Member:
    Ok did more test driving today.. it seems that I can only reproduce this easily by applying slight load to the engine starting at around 50mph. This is much more easier to reproduce while going up an incline under those conditions. With O/D disabled, this does not occur

It definitely feels like a fast frequency of the rear wheels loosing and gaining traction, and the thump sound associated with that... The gear and TC shifters do not shudder/move when this is occurring.

-So does this mean my tranny is shot? is O/D essentially the 4th gear?
    -Could the shudder be from the TC locking/unlocking?
    -Does the activation of O/D apply different torque on the driveshaft compared to with O/D off?
    -Still feel this is somehow linked to me greasing the ujoints the night before.. Can this be in anyway related?

Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top