1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AZ hunting

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by HamerMan, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Oct 18, 2016 at 9:40 AM
    azgunrunner

azgunrunner A guy that knows a guy, that knows a guy...

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    ADS 2.5, Dakar leaf springs KMF sliders CBI Ditch light mounts, DD SS3 pods Bumpers pending OBA pending
    Rut is still on but slowing down. I'm hearing a lot of bulls in unit 1 but this morning I heard about 3-4 sound off while I was sitting under a tree freezing and glassing.

It was a tough morning, licking our wounds with breakfast at the alpine grill.

2. Oct 18, 2016 at 9:45 AM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    ADS 2.5, Dakar leaf springs KMF sliders CBI Ditch light mounts, DD SS3 pods Bumpers pending OBA pending
    Ton of deer, I think I'm on deer 50 eleven million. There is so many here it's crazy. I've glassed up or drove by 8 different heards, totalin over 50 so far. One heard had over 15 of them. Seen 6 different bucks, nothing gigantic but decent size.

3. Oct 19, 2016 at 5:10 PM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    Are you headed to the north or south end of the unit?

4. Oct 19, 2016 at 5:11 PM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    Any idea what part of the unit you're going to focus on?

5. Oct 22, 2016 at 10:31 AM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    Woooosh, so spent 6 days in the woods up north. Was a bit warmer than I expected. We had 4 cow tags for unit 27 and we ended up filling 3 of them. We would have filled them all but I miscommunicated with the shooters. I had one with me and the one behind me. As I was glassing I spotted a couple elk bedded down and when we made our move on them, I guess there were more elk than I saw and 1 busted out at less than 60 yards from the shooter next to me, meanwhile the other shooter (my brother) already had another cow lined up. I told the shooter next to me not to shoot yet till the other shooter got lined up with him they both got a chance to shoot one. Had I not called off the first shooter, we would have had two down.

All in all a tough hunt but an awesome time with my brother and my friends! The area i hunt in 27 is coming back hard and strong from the fires and lots of areas are overgrown. Aspen saplings are 10' tall and the grass is 3' tall. Bulls are talking, saw one decent sized bull come over a ridge and then drop into some shithole canyon with about 2 other smaller bulls and 8 cows. On the last night in camp it was a chorus of bulls bugling, yotes chatting and even some wolves singing in the distance.

Saw a ton of deer and even got into some rocky mountain rams. Watched an eagle swing out of the sky and grab a fish out of a lake.

good luck to the rest of ya'll with tags!

6. Oct 22, 2016 at 7:30 PM
    crunchy11

crunchy11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North CA
    Vehicle:
    stock(too stock) 13 trd
    seat stains
    Hello Arizona!

So normally this time of year I would be hunting in snowy Montana for elk, since I'll be in my late 50's before I draw here in California. But since I work for the state and it decided to burn like crazy, I missed my opportunity and all the tags (and vacation days) got taken up.

I am interested in going out and trying one of the OTC non permit elk hunts in your state. My concern is if the fish and game is sayingredients "good luck" is it worth my time and particularly hard earned money?

Any advice is appreciated. And if you guys would rather keep those tags for the locals, hey I understand

7. Oct 23, 2016 at 1:09 AM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    In my opinion, OTC elk tags aren't worth the time if you're rifle hunting. Best thing I would do is to review the past years success rate for those hunts.

Put in fr bonus points and in less that 2-3 years you can draw a cow tag, 4-8 for bull depending on the unit.

crunchy11 likes this.
  8. Oct 23, 2016 at 8:23 AM
    crunchy11

Member:
    North CA
    Vehicle:
    stock(too stock) 13 trd
    seat stains

You say isn't worth the time rifle hunting... would I have better odds with my bow? I read there are areas where you cannot discharge firearms, like in city limits.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  9. Oct 23, 2016 at 10:15 AM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    I think you have better chances of getting a unit where you could be successful with a bow. There are some "limited opportunity" hunts that are rifle hunts that can be successful, I did one a few years ago in unit 1 on antelope hill, got 2 of 3 tags filled on that one. However the next year a buddy of mine got the same tag and didn't see an elk for 6 days.

Personally I would either buy the bonus point and wait it out for a couple years or just put in for the draw as an out of stater, within 2-4 years you're going to get drawn for a rifle cow hunt. And the year that you don't get drawn you can still come over and do the OTC tags so that your license won't go to waste for the year.. Not to mention we have an awesome dove/quail season.

crunchy11[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Oct 23, 2016 at 11:46 AM
    crunchy11

Member:
    North CA
    Vehicle:
    stock(too stock) 13 trd
    seat stains
    Great thanks

11. Oct 23, 2016 at 2:31 PM
    phx13

phx13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD O/R
    MT stuff, RTT stuff, the usual.
    Anyone ever hunt Camp Navajo?

12. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:56 AM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    It's very warm out there... about 10 degrees warmer than it should be this time of year in my opinion. The good news is that we're supposed to get some rain on Wed, so that might cool things off. Good luck out there!

13. Oct 25, 2016 at 8:03 AM
    Flagstaff_Sam

Flagstaff_Sam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR Silver
    I was thinking of staying in the southern part of the unit because the north part was so thick when I was in there scouting. Hoping to get lucky and find some desert monster hiding somewhere.

14. Oct 25, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    There are some toads in the southern part of the unit but the problem is that the locals are all over the area. When I was out there for my late mule deer hunt last year, dudes from Morenci and Clifton were cruising around road bombing. There was a spot that was just outside of morenci that I followed a buddy of mine through some neighborhoods and into the mountains, almost looked like a huge rock query. There were a few herds of deer in there, nothing we wanted to shoot at though. I'll see if I can find the spot.

Additionally, there is a good number of deer in the "blue" but it's gnarly out there and expect a lot of hiking and shit ass canyons to cross. it's not somewhere I look unless its a last resorts because I hate death marches.. :) Check out the honeymoon campground area too if that's not too far north. There is a ton of deer in 27. Good luck!

15. Oct 25, 2016 at 9:05 AM
    Flagstaff_Sam

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Awesome thanks. I don't mind a good hike. I usually try to backpack in to my coues deer hunting spots in 29 but switched it up for a mule deer hunt this year. Where exactly is the "blue"?

16. Oct 25, 2016 at 10:41 AM
    RavegreenA4

RavegreenA4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed Limited
    Hello all! Headed up on Thursday for the Antlered Mule Deer Tag I pulled in 6A. Anyone been up there recently? I am very familiar with the area as thats where we usually Elk, Turkey, and Deer hunt. Just curious if anyone has any nice leads! Hope to show some pics next week when I return!

17. Oct 26, 2016 at 9:10 AM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33....978,-109.1990516/@33.4855033,-109.2803285,12z

The "blue" is an area of wilderness. It's super gnarly in there. Follow the link, there are roads into some campgrounds in the area that will help you get around. Good luck to you man! Make sure you have someone know where you're going to be, cell coverage is decent up there with Verizon and ATT but you get into the blue and it get spotty. Watch out for bears and shit by the river.

18. Oct 26, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport

good luck on your hunt! I haven't been up there in years, last time i was there (5 years ago) the deer were slim but I did see a small herd by stoneman lake area.. Honestly I saw more elk than deer tho...

19. Oct 26, 2016 at 9:21 AM
    AZ2013

AZ2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    '13 Spruce Mica DCSB TRD OR
    Tried to relocate a giant buck for 5 days and finally gave up on him. Took this awesome buck instead and couldn't be happier!

Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20161025_160053.jpg Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20161025_135551.jpg

20. Oct 26, 2016 at 9:43 AM
    Flagstaff_Sam

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Perfect. Thanks. I will be camping with some family so I will make sure they know where I am and I have a bear tag too so wouldn't mind seeing one of them also.

Products Discussed in

To Top