1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AZ hunting

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by HamerMan, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Jan 13, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    mbmack1

mbmack1 That F'n guy

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    az
    Vehicle:
    SAVAGE silver '06
    Were the coues and the muley hanging out together with the same does? What is that skull from? Badger? Bobcat?

2. Jan 13, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    mbmack1

mbmack1 That F'n guy

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    az
    Vehicle:
    SAVAGE silver '06
    I've been out 5 days so far, got two to go because I'll be on call the last weekend of the month. I've been consistently there on the wrong day to get a javelina from the same herd I got one from last year. I keep missing them by a day or two. I had a real close call yesterday with a coues buck. Right at first light, I was checking my first trail cam and he walked right in on me and started grazing on a tree 10 yards away. As I turned to try to get my bow without spooking him, my rangefinder swung and knocked against something. I keep it on a caribeaner clipped to a paracord sling, slung over one shoulder. The buck looked at me and I froze in place, on my hands and knees, I turned my head down so I could just barely see him. I heard that predators squint as they stalk prey so the prey animal can't see their eyes, and therefore can't identify them as a predator. That's why I tried to look down to hide my face from him. When I realized my breath was coming out in clouds, I closed my mouth too. He stared at me for what was probably 2-3 minutes, but he couldn't get my scent and apparently couldn't figure out what I was, so he went back to feeding, but kept glancing at me. It was during this time that I reached for my bow and tried to get clipped in, which was a clumsy affair with my gloves on and my adrenaline pumping through my ears. He didn't like that movement so he circled around some foliage to try to get down wind of me. I finished getting my release clipped and when he stopped he was to my left, with a couple bushes between us, but I had a window through the branches where his vitals were showing. "I can do this," I thought. "Just have to thread the needle." I drew and couldn't decide if he was at 20 or 30 yards so I split the pins on his rib cage and in the window through the branches. I touched off the release and watched him shag ass out of there after the arrow hit a branch. DAMNIT!!!!! I couldn't find the arrow anywhere so I tracked him for a couple hundred yards looking for blood, but I never found any. I never found the arrow either but I'm confident that it deflected and cleanly missed him. Here's a pic of the branch it hit...IMG_20200112_084436234.jpg

And here's a pic of him from one of my trail cams, just before he walked in on me. He was just a little spike so it's hard to see his antlers in this pic, but they're there, I promise. LolScreenshot_20200113-183030.jpg

I've been getting some good bucks on my cams, but they're all spread out over my hunting area. I don't have one spot that has alot of daytime bucks showing up consistently so I'm a bit torn over where I'm gonna sit this weekend. There's scrapes all over the fuckin place and it's kind of a crap shoot on what's gonna happen when and where. This weekend is my last shot for the rut this year so I'm really hoping I choose the right spot. Here's some random trail cam pics from the area I'm hunting...Screenshot_20200113-182839.jpg Screenshot_20200113-183143.jpg Screenshot_20200113-183217.jpg IMAG0128.jpg IMAG0011 (2).jpg IMAG0017 (1).jpg IMAG0126.jpg IMAG0127 (2).jpg IMAG0302.jpg IMAG0021 (1).jpg

azshooter40 likes this.
  3. Jan 13, 2020 at 7:15 PM
    caburtle

caburtle Active Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC OR
    Yeah it was weird. Both a Coues and a Mulie buck hanging with 4 does. I couldn't see what they were. Then later on the same day I saw a young Mulie chasing a Coues doe. She wanted nothing to do with him. That was all the southern end of the Rincons. Agua Verde Ranch area. That skull was from a Bobcat I think.

mbmack1 likes this.
  4. Jan 13, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    caburtle

caburtle Active Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC OR
    Those are some great pics. Bummer not being able to close the deal. I know the feeling bowhunting is an emotional rollercoaster. I've been heading out the past few days and it's minimal activity. Dunno if it's the moonphase. Hoping tomorrow is a good day. Worst case scenario, send me a DM and I can send you a pin where I've been going. There's a hill that has pretty consistent Coues activity.

mbmack1 likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:41 PM
    mbmack1

mbmack1 That F'n guy

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    az
    Vehicle:
    SAVAGE silver '06
    That's crazy man! I've seen a muley and coues doe running together but I'm not really sure if they were actually hanging out with eachother or if they were just feeding close by eachother and decided to trot in the same direction when a pack of coyotes started yipping and howling. I've heard from other hunters about "hybrid" bucks but I think alot of that is just deer with nontypical racks, but maybe I'm wrong about that. It would be really fascinating to see a genetically sampled proven example of a hybrid.

Bow hunting is definitely an emotional rollercoaster ride, I mean, all hunting is, but bow hunting can be even more drastic on the highs and lows. That's why we love it though, right? I very much appreciate your offer, but I'm gonna stick to where I'm at. The area I'm hunting is where I saw the largest antlered coues I have ever seen in my life crossing the road. It's in 38m, also south of the Rincon's, but because it was an archery only unit, it got me looking at bow hunting and was the reason I eventually bought a bow in 2018. I got a coues last January in 34b, but taking one in this area will kinda be like the whole thing coming full circle for me. I may get one, I may not, but it's worth it to me to stick it out and really try in this area.

6. Jan 14, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    caburtle

caburtle Active Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC OR
    Yeah it definitely threw me for a loop man. Never seen that before. True that about bowhunting. It's totally addicting. Super hard and a lot of fun. I went out today for a morning session. I was glassing a hill and I heard something running up to me from behind. Turns out it was a doe and a nice 3x3 Coues buck. 15ft from me. I tried to slowly move and grab my bow but they spooked and I never saw them again. I was so pissed I just packed up and went home. Haha. It's going to happen though. Good luck man. You have some great bucks on your cams. Hope you harvest a good one.

mbmack1 likes this.
  7. Jan 14, 2020 at 9:59 PM
    mbmack1

mbmack1 That F'n guy

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    az
    Vehicle:
    SAVAGE silver '06
    Damn bro! I feel your pain man. That's how I felt after my arrow deflected on that buck on Sunday morning. How often do you ever have a buck just run up on you like that? It's almost surreal, like "holy shit, is this really happening right now, and also, how the hell do I get my bow up and make a shot without spooking him?". I wanted to go home after that too, but im glad I checked my cams, so I atleast know what's going on throughout my hunt area. That one buck that I posted two picks of by the mesquite tree, there's a doe in one of the pics... He's such a bad ass!! He's so wide, gotta be over a 100" I figure. On my next cam up that hill, which was taking video, he wanders up the hill behind the doe and follows he into a cut beside the hill, everything is real calm and nonchalant between the two of them. Just kinda like "you're pretty and I wanna hang out with you." In the next video she's tearing ass out of there at full sprint and he's right on her heels. I'm guessing she was close to coming into estrous, but not quite there yet and when he tried to mount her, she hauled ass. The reason all this kills me is because I was working that day, but had I been sitting in my spot on the next hill over, I would have had a beautiful 40 yard broadside shot on him. But I know that he's already bred that doe and moved on by now. I'll probably never see him again. Good luck to you bro. I hope all your hard work pays off.

Products Discussed in

To Top