1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BAMF 2nd Gen and 3rd gen rear shock relocation kit.

Discussion in 'Bay Area Metal Fabrication' started by JLee, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Apr 23, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    AbunaiTaco

AbunaiTaco #AlohaTheTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Jet City
    Vehicle:
    '14 Taco Off-Road 4dr 5'bed
    ARB Bull Bar Warn VR8k RADFLOW Suspension, Front- Strait 2.5" Strut, Heavy valving and 660lb Eibach Coils Rear- Remote Resi 2.5" Fully Adjustable Shocks, Valved Heavier at base setting EMU Dakar ELO96R Heavy Leaf Pack W/Poly Bushings Wheelers Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit Ride Rite Airbag Kit With Daystar Bag Cradles FabTec UCA RCI Full Alloy Skid Plate Set RCI Diff Skid Wheelers Off-Road Extended Stainless Brake Lines BoRA 1" Front Bolt On Spacers BoRA .6" Rear Custom Spacers, With Lexus Studs that are .68" longer than stock. Cab Mount Chop Pinch Weld Custom Modification, *See write up soon. 3rd Gen TRD OR Rims 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar Tires Leer Xl100 Cap Full Force Metal Works Weld-On Sliders *Custom Design Bushwacker Fender Flares WeatherTec Floor Liners AVS In Channel Vent Visors Thule Full Custom Rack, With roof sliders and guide wires Rhino Rack Tracks on the cab and Leer Yakima Box Autana Sky4 Rhino Rack BATWING Awning Fab4 Rear Bumper, *Can't get rid of it soon enough Bunch of other custom home built bits
    Also wondering about something I read about "extending the remote resi hoses," or did I make that up in my head, I've read a ton of shit on this today.

2. Apr 23, 2019 at 7:41 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Buy Toyota p/n 04005-65104. It's a pair of OEM toyota shackles, with no bushings.

Buy these bushings. This will service your new dakars, as well as your new shackles.

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspe...eaf+bushings&qid=1556073579&s=gateway&sr=8-19

Trim the second leaf of your dakars back 2" in the rear, otherwise they'll get hung up on the rear leaf hanger.

Enjoy your awesome droop. This is the setup I just described.

[​IMG]

3. Apr 23, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    No need to extend them.

AbunaiTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 23, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    AbunaiTaco

AbunaiTaco #AlohaTheTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Jet City
    Vehicle:
    ARB Bull Bar Warn VR8k RADFLOW Suspension, Front- Strait 2.5" Strut, Heavy valving and 660lb Eibach Coils Rear- Remote Resi 2.5" Fully Adjustable Shocks, Valved Heavier at base setting EMU Dakar ELO96R Heavy Leaf Pack W/Poly Bushings Wheelers Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit Ride Rite Airbag Kit With Daystar Bag Cradles FabTec UCA RCI Full Alloy Skid Plate Set RCI Diff Skid Wheelers Off-Road Extended Stainless Brake Lines BoRA 1" Front Bolt On Spacers BoRA .6" Rear Custom Spacers, With Lexus Studs that are .68" longer than stock. Cab Mount Chop Pinch Weld Custom Modification, *See write up soon. 3rd Gen TRD OR Rims 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar Tires Leer Xl100 Cap Full Force Metal Works Weld-On Sliders *Custom Design Bushwacker Fender Flares WeatherTec Floor Liners AVS In Channel Vent Visors Thule Full Custom Rack, With roof sliders and guide wires Rhino Rack Tracks on the cab and Leer Yakima Box Autana Sky4 Rhino Rack BATWING Awning Fab4 Rear Bumper, *Can't get rid of it soon enough Bunch of other custom home built bits
    Awesome feedback, thank you.

Are standard extended brake lines enough in length?

5. Apr 23, 2019 at 8:05 PM
    AbunaiTaco

AbunaiTaco #AlohaTheTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Jet City
    Vehicle:
    I think you bad influences have convinced me as long as the shocks don't cost me too much more than stock extended.

6. Apr 23, 2019 at 8:08 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Both him and I have +4" and added a 1" spacer between the axle and hard line, essentially turning them into +5". If I was buying new, I'd get +6" and call it a day. You can get them from crown performance.

AbunaiTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 23, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    AbunaiTaco

AbunaiTaco #AlohaTheTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Jet City
    Vehicle:
    Huge thanks for the excellent information and prompt feedback. Gonna try this with RadFlos I'm ordering. Just gotta make sure they can copy the specifications of the King.

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  8. Apr 23, 2019 at 9:02 PM
    AbunaiTaco

AbunaiTaco #AlohaTheTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Jet City
    Vehicle:

Sorry one other question, are you running spacers with those wheels to clear the relocation brackets and how much if so? I'm running the same set!

9. Apr 24, 2019 at 1:02 AM
    AbunaiTaco

AbunaiTaco #AlohaTheTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Jet City
    Vehicle:
    Dammit, I wish this kit was a little more locked in as far as where welding points are. Sadly after reading more and more of this I doubt I can do this kit. From what I'm reading, its looking like days of fitment and testing just to get positioning correct, especially for the bottom mounts and making sure you don't rub. I'm a detailed person too, so it could takes me slightly longer. Considering that I'm so busy and use my truck at least every other day for work, i can't see how I'd find time to tinker with fitment. I can barely find time to throw on a stock shock these days with kids and work unfortunately.
    Maybe one day.

10. Apr 24, 2019 at 6:38 AM
    JLee

JLee [OP] The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

This is not a bolt on kit so you need to know how to work on and cycle suspension to replace your shock mounts. You set the mounts up to work with the suspension you have not just weld them in a set spot witch is why a experienced fabricator is recommended to install these.

Bentrodder and Bigdaddy4760 like this.
  11. Apr 24, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    AbunaiTaco

AbunaiTaco #AlohaTheTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Jet City
    Vehicle:

Ya totally get that, it's an awesome kit, maybe one day I'll find the time. I'm a pretty savvy mechanical guy and welded enough stuff and tested my suspension flex and travel enough to know my way around, doing it isn't the issue, it's just time, seems like it's taking guys days to mock it up, an then also play with wheel spacers etc. Even if I paid a full-time 4wheel shop, it would easily run a days labor.

I guess my main confusion is, Tacos are pretty much all the same, outside of years.

If running stock mounting positions for a 2.5-3" leafpack, and one knows where the BAMF relocation bucket is going based on say a stock set of 285s75 and we know how much droop is going to happen roughly, how are guys getting such varying mounting positions for the lower shock mount placement?

12. Apr 24, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    JLee

JLee [OP] The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

Your bump travel is what sets your low shock mounts not the droop. Everyone does not set the bump travel the same so there is no set angle on the lower you weld them on where they land at bump with about 1" of shaft showing for bump compression on a standard style bump.

Welding the kit on should take less then 4 or 5 hours with cycling the springs properly. Cutting off the factory mounts on the other hand can be a whole day job. For a shop to do it expect at least 8 to 12 hours labor.

13. Apr 24, 2019 at 11:05 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Cutting the stock mounts off suuuuuuuck. Welding is the fun and easy part.

14. Apr 27, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    Arcticelf

Arcticelf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator
    So much this.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 27, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    Arcticelf

Arcticelf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator

It's definitely a one day project, but it's not a short day. I don't generally rip the leaf pack apart and cycle suspension when I do the install, instead I measure the available up travel, add the compressed shock length plus 1, and then measure to place the lower mounts.

Bentrodder likes this.
  16. Apr 27, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    fatfurious2

fatfurious2 IG: great_white_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
    Gotta remember this when we do mine

Arcticelf[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 10, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    fatfurious2

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
    Anyone have a link or a picture to how you mounted the resi?

18. May 11, 2019 at 12:45 AM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    fatfurious2[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. May 11, 2019 at 5:26 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    X2

Just paint them before install because you can’t easily get to the back. I recommend the same for the shock towers. I painted the whole thing (after welding together) then just ground off the edges.

67CCB6A2-1FD7-4808-8CD9-492DD583E132.jpg

fatfurious2[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. May 11, 2019 at 6:07 AM
    fatfurious2

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
    Thanks!!