1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baby Car Seats in a Double Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Anthony, May 9, 2008.

1. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:25 AM
    nvrenuf

nvrenuf Whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Saint Johns, FL
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro Taco; 6MT
    Not sure what the "lady bulky setup" is, but be aware that 2nd Gens do not have the LATCH system for the center seat. I know that is considered the safest place, but if you put the rear-facing seat in that position, you'll have to use the shoulder belt for install. That is approved/safe, but can be tricky. I would recommend having your local police/fire dept help with the install.

As far as it being "possible"... it is definitely possible. Again, if you install in the middle, it will effect both the driver and passenger seating position. Neither will be able to recline/scoot back very far. I had my rear facing behind the passenger, and my wife is 5'9". She wasn't very comfortable in passenger seat. My son is now almost 5, and he is forward facing, but still not a ton of room back there.

It's not a huge deal for us because my truck isn't our primary mode of transportation. Fairly rare to have the whole family in my truck.

I love my Taco; it's my third one, and I'll probably get another one. It suites my needs 90% of the time. However, 10% of the time I wish I had a little more cab space and/or a little more towing capability.

My suggestion would be this: If you and your wife are taller people who require a bit more leg room up front, and your Tacoma will be your primary mode of transportation - you may want to consider a full size. If on the more vertically challenged end of the spectrum and/or the Taco will not be your primary family vehicle, go with the Taco.

Hope this helps, and congrats on the addition to the family!

Crom likes this.
  2. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:37 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    I'm maried with no kids and 90% of the time it's just me in the truck. Its still not enough room lol.
    Everyone is different but I would not consider the Tacoma a family car. If I had kids today the truck would likely be sold or a child would never be in it.

3. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:38 AM
    Emmohl

Emmohl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5
    I have a 2.5 yr old in a forward facing behind me and a rear facing for my 5 month old on passenger side. I'm 6'3 and it's not too bad but I've honestly been thinking about getting something bigger now that we have 2 kids. I don't take real long trips and my work commute is not far at all. If it was then my truck probably would've been traded for something bigger. My wife's 4Runner is typically what we take when the whole family goes somewhere.

Cativelense likes this.
  4. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:42 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    If my wife didnt have her Pilot I would have traded my Tacoma in for a full size. Its tight with two car seats, no two ways around it.

5. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:45 AM
    Cativelense

Cativelense Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nuno
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Black 4x4 TRD Sport
    -TRD oil cap -TRD radiator cap -TRD shift knob -2015 Entune system with Nav, -OEM roof rack -Front windows tinted to match back (20%) -BPK Skid Plate -Non clock hazard switch assembly -WeatherTech floor mats -AFE Stage II Pro Dry Intake -AVS Vent Shades -AMP Research bed extender -Horn relocation mod -Bob's Mirror -Redline hood struts -UltraGauge MX 1.3 -Debadged -Reverse LEDs & shifter bezel LED -Black steering wheel controls, black shifter bezel, black AC vent panel -Black gauge cluster rings + black tweeter rings -Morimoto XB LED fog lights -Anzo tail lights -Hilux 4x4 lighted switch -Bed mat -Hondo Garage radio knobs -OKLED 20" light bar mounted on BAMF behind the grill mount -CH4X4 LED light bar switch w/add-a-fuse -nd4spdbh fog light anytime mod (HUGE thanks to @tgriff) -Debadged bed -Secondary air pump filter -Retros (Morimoto Mini H1's and Morimoto Panamera shrouds with dual intensity LED DRL's & 5000k bulbs) -Tailgate Anti-Theft Device by @scleaf -OEM TRD Sport 17" wheels painted black w/Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires (Winter wheels) -Pro Comp Extreme 17" wheels w/Firestone Destination LE2 tires (Spring/Summer/Fall wheels) -Anzo blacked out third break light -HomerTaco Tacoma Ghost Raptor Insert -Rear diff breather mod (HUGE thanks to @jc11taco89) -Fumoto Valve -LEER 100R -Salex center console and glove box organizers -Power Pop N Lock -Mobtown Tailgate Skin -TRD Pro suspension with HS Progressive AAL (overload leaf in) -ECGS replacement bearing -Dust caps on rear drums to match front -Me-So Customs "The Gasshole" -ACEkraut license plate bracket -mesojdm's 2nd Gen Ultimate LED Dome and Map lights -Seat spacers from olecoot -Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation Bracket
    I have the same type of set up. Not bad as far as room, but then again I'm only 5-7 and my wife about 5-6. But aside from that, DC and car seats aren't bad at all, at least not in my opinion.

6. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:46 AM
    AKTacoParty

AKTacoParty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Astoria, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    885s, Dakars, Bilsteins, Allpro Sliders, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, Wheelers Ubolt flip, super bumps, RCI front skid
    My 4 year old fits fine with car seat behind the passenger seat, I wanted to move her to the middle so she can see out the window, but like stated above there is no latch system in the middle seat. There is also the anchors behind the seat which is also another nice safety feature.

7. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:50 AM
    Emmohl

Emmohl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5
    My wife is only 5'4 so it's not bad for her. I on the other hand can't sit in either passenger side front seats in both vehicles.

8. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:58 AM
    Cativelense

Cativelense Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nuno
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Black 4x4 TRD Sport
    -TRD oil cap -TRD radiator cap -TRD shift knob -2015 Entune system with Nav, -OEM roof rack -Front windows tinted to match back (20%) -BPK Skid Plate -Non clock hazard switch assembly -WeatherTech floor mats -AFE Stage II Pro Dry Intake -AVS Vent Shades -AMP Research bed extender -Horn relocation mod -Bob's Mirror -Redline hood struts -UltraGauge MX 1.3 -Debadged -Reverse LEDs & shifter bezel LED -Black steering wheel controls, black shifter bezel, black AC vent panel -Black gauge cluster rings + black tweeter rings -Morimoto XB LED fog lights -Anzo tail lights -Hilux 4x4 lighted switch -Bed mat -Hondo Garage radio knobs -OKLED 20" light bar mounted on BAMF behind the grill mount -CH4X4 LED light bar switch w/add-a-fuse -nd4spdbh fog light anytime mod (HUGE thanks to @tgriff) -Debadged bed -Secondary air pump filter -Retros (Morimoto Mini H1's and Morimoto Panamera shrouds with dual intensity LED DRL's & 5000k bulbs) -Tailgate Anti-Theft Device by @scleaf -OEM TRD Sport 17" wheels painted black w/Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires (Winter wheels) -Pro Comp Extreme 17" wheels w/Firestone Destination LE2 tires (Spring/Summer/Fall wheels) -Anzo blacked out third break light -HomerTaco Tacoma Ghost Raptor Insert -Rear diff breather mod (HUGE thanks to @jc11taco89) -Fumoto Valve -LEER 100R -Salex center console and glove box organizers -Power Pop N Lock -Mobtown Tailgate Skin -TRD Pro suspension with HS Progressive AAL (overload leaf in) -ECGS replacement bearing -Dust caps on rear drums to match front -Me-So Customs "The Gasshole" -ACEkraut license plate bracket -mesojdm's 2nd Gen Ultimate LED Dome and Map lights -Seat spacers from olecoot -Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation Bracket
    Problems of being tall I guess.

9. Dec 2, 2016 at 8:07 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I had a 2006 DC Tacoma with 3 kids. It was a tight fit when two of them were in car/booster seats. Basically no elbow room, plastic usually jabbing into the one that didn't need her own seat. Then as they grew they ran out of leg room if I didn't move the driver seat forward a couple clicks. Not as much room as I wanted, but I could function without completely squishing them in the back.

If you really want room in the back I would suggest looking at a full sized truck like a Tundra, F150, etc. I ended up trading my Tacoma for a '15 F150 and am blown away by the room in the back! I'm 5'11", wife is 5'9". I actually had to move the driver seat forward to be comfortable, and that's the first vehicle I've ever had to do that in! Every other vehicle I had to move it as far back as possible while still allowing people to sit behind me. With the passenger seat still in the factory position I had about 4" between my knees and seat back, so when my kids got in they had plenty of room. I could even fit 4 of them back there comfortably for short rides. If I did that in the Tacoma they'd almost be sitting on each other (I think the F150 is about a foot wider. At least it feels like that on the inside!)

Here's a couple pics for reference. I know what it's like trying to cram kids, car seats, diaper bags, extra clothes, snacks, toys, etc in the back seat. You quickly run out of room, and I ended up putting things in a plastic tote in the bed quite often. I have yet to really need to put things in the bed. Between the extra leg room around bags, and the under seat storage, I've put most everything in the cab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Dec 2, 2016 at 10:51 AM
    Shaun23a11en

Shaun23a11en Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    i have an 09 dclb. I am 6'3" and the wife is 5'4". One rear facing carseat behind passenger seat and my 7 year old son sits behind me. We all have plenty of room. I came from an 04 crew cab silverado LT and front to rear, space is pretty close. Of course the tacoma is more narrow, but as far as space goes, no complaints here

11. Dec 2, 2016 at 10:54 AM
    QChawks

QChawks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport, IA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DCLB
    My 5 and 3 year old sit in my truck daily. No problems. I have to have the 3 year old sit behind passenger seat because his legs stick out farther.

0F3572C7-5D71-4630-9C85-7C67914687D3_zps_46194b5afd093c5187172bb6d3bcb0ce057d044f.jpg

12. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:45 PM
    jeffy2

jeffy2 Active Member

Member:
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    2007 fj cruiser (close enough)
    thanks for the input guys.

"ladybulk" lol, stupid auto correct on my phone. Less bulky is what i meant. ill be looking to get some of the smaller more streamlined seats for both of them.

like i said im coming from an fj cruiser and already have my son in there. He sits behind me in that truck no problems at all, im 5'10"ish and my wife is about 5'5". From what ive seen in my research, i will go up an inch in leg room and i think 4" wider in hip room.

I still want to go wheeling and what not and i would love to have a smaller truck than a full sized dodge or chevy for that. We too wouldnt be using my vehicle as the all the time family vehicle, we use my wifes 4runner for that.

Dang wanting to have cool stuff and convenience.....

Crom likes this.
  13. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:49 PM
    para38s

para38s Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB 2wd / 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    I have 3 kids (9, 7, and a 3 year old) and we fit just fine. If anything what I dislike is not having a "clean" cargo area to put the extras. So we mostly used our SUV when we have things we don't want to be exposed to the elements.

14. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    the dashing ham

the dashing ham Taco n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB rattle can
    yes, I have done the mods
    Most of the time when I have 2 kids in the backseat it's just me driving, nobody in the passenger seat, so I find it super handy to be able to fold the passenger seat flat.

When you've got rear-facing car seats, they'll whack into your seatback, but once both your kids are forward-facing, there'll be more room.

15. Dec 2, 2016 at 4:05 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    :rofl: @ ladybulk :laugh:

That was almost the same criteria we had. Needed/wanted smaller truck with 4WD for off-road and back row. We adapted to the Tacoma and it has worked well for us.

Just get a shell for the truck! Easy fix. I did that four years ago, to protect the stroller from the elements, etc.

Definitely more room when they go forward facing!!!

16. Dec 2, 2016 at 4:11 PM
    jeffy2

jeffy2 Active Member

Member:
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    yep, i will absolutely be getting a cover for the rear of some sort. im partial to the soft topper (i know....limited protection....better than none)

Crom likes this.
  17. Dec 2, 2016 at 4:16 PM
    TacomaMona

TacomaMona Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh man. I dont have kids yet but I plan to and i completely overlooked this part about having a kid

18. Dec 2, 2016 at 4:16 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    I gave up my accsess cab for a double cab when my little girl was about 4. The accsess cab looked and i felt it was unsafe.

19. Dec 2, 2016 at 4:42 PM
    jeffy2

jeffy2 Active Member

Member:
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    yep, huge factor to kids for sure. its not somethin really thought of until you finally get that first car seat and go to put it in, then the diaper bag, then the stroller, then, then, then, lol. Gets overwhelming at first for sure, ive been there once already so im kind of ready. Was pretty well settled in and satisfied with doing everything awesome with the fj and everything cumbersome with the wifes truck, now a rethink might be necessary....

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  20. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    :thumbsup:
    Now she drives when we are in the dirt!

Products Discussed in

To Top