1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Back-up Cameras, who has what and how do you like it?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sooner07, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 [OP] 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Did a search and didn't see a whole lot of input on who has what (other than Marv's install thread). So, who has what working on what HU? I am presonally interested in the BOYO licence plate camera and if anyone has used it.

2. Dec 10, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    i'm going to use that camera and install a monitor in my sun visor soon in my 08 DC. i looked at the replacement mirror with monitor like that 09 has but its much too expensive. And i would only replace the HU to get a monitor for rear view camera and don't feel its worth it. i think i can do a sun visor monitor for about $100. i only plan to use it when hooking up my trailer or when necessary so flipping down the visor when needed is AOK with me

3. Dec 10, 2008 at 9:23 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I love it, using the mirrors to get me in line and close and the mirror to seal the deal allows me to get confidently within inches of my intended area.

4. Dec 10, 2008 at 9:30 AM
    SmootDog

SmootDog Active Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2009 D-Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I love it for hooking up a trailer, or seeing how close I am to something, but it is NOT for general backing. It has a fishbowl look to it. It is also worthless when it rains or the lens gets at all dirty. I wouldn't trade it though. I have gotten used to it and I look for it when I drive my wife's 4Runner.

When the tailgate is down, you are checking out your license plate, and under the truck. :confused:

5. Dec 10, 2008 at 9:50 AM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Umm, it is a 'back-up' mirror.

It is for general backing up, whether you are backing up in general or up to a trailer, etc. I use it daily for 'just backing up' with great accuracy and benefit.

You are right about the lens when it is wet or dirty though, your accuracy is definitely compromised. To what extent depends on the degree of wet / dirt.

6. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    rkdiddy

rkdiddy Senior Member

Member:
    OC Baby!
    Vehicle:
    '08 Taco DC PR
    I have a Kenwood 5120 HU with a Kenwood backup camera. My camera is mounted just to the left of the hitches 7 pin wire hookup.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my stereo so I had my HU out, well I forgot to plug it back in and have been forced to live without a camera for a few days.

Let me just tell you there is a HUGE difference and I greatly miss it.

I will be pulling the HU back out this weekend and fixing this. In my opinion it is dangerous with out it.

7. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:40 AM
    SmootDog

SmootDog Active Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2009 D-Cab TRD Sport 4x4

8. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:41 AM
    camsbored

camsbored Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    Kenwood DNX8120, Homelink mirror, Valentine One hardwire
    I had/have a BOYO license place camera. Seems to be constructed well. I found the angle of the camera to be a little too low - it affected depth perception with the fish-eye lens.

I recently removed the BOYO cam and installed a Pioneer camera inside an '09 tailgate handle and it works great. Thread here.

If you want to buy a gently used VTL-300 license plate camera, I'd be happy to sell it to you. :)

9. Dec 10, 2008 at 1:29 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 [OP] 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    PM sent

10. Dec 10, 2008 at 3:42 PM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:

11. Dec 10, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    I got the VTL-300 license plate camera and love it. I can see the tip of my hitch in it, and can get within an inch w/ no problem at all feeling comfortable

12. Mar 19, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    is_it_the_shoes

is_it_the_shoes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mini Countryman S ALL4
    I just got my truck a week ago, and been loving the camera so far. Dont use it for normal reverse, but when backing into a parking spot or in the garage its MONEY!! Living in Florida, rain is an absolute, and have already expierenced horrible (if any) vision due to big ole water droplets blocking the view.

My question is, has anyone tried RainX or anything like that to help bead off the water?

I am hesistant to try because I would hate to cause more vision problems during dry times. If no one has tried, I wouldnt mind being a tester, but wanted to check first in TW.

I may be over woried, as I can tell you that a couple of hours after the rain stopped, when I got in my truck to leave work, the lens was peferctly clear again. :p

13. Mar 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I also have the VTL-300. It does its job.

14. Mar 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I find it fantastic for basking up. It shows you the edge of the rear bumper which you can use for reference while backing up. I can get within a 1/2" of something no problem. Best new feature on the Tacoma's if you ask me.

15. Mar 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    warrenw

warrenw Warren

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Edmonton AB, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD Off road
    I find the display (in the mirror) very small. Just about too small. I am far sighted so I tend to use my mirrors. Re-focusing on the display is a challenge for my eyes. I must say it is very easy to backup to a trailer or close to a wall. Distortion is poor for the two rear corners of the bumper to depend on it.
    In the old days I would just drop the tailgate and backup to the trailer. With the tailgate down, I could judge exactly where the trailer hitch was. With-in an inch most cases.

Novelty more than a convienence or useful.

I wouldn't miss it, if it stopped working.

16. Mar 19, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I have a 2009 with stock camera. It is the best thing ever! I love it. I love how I can get within inches of whatever I want.

17. Mar 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    Just got my 2010 DC with the camera and it definitely comes in handy when you're in a tight spot. The camera lens is pretty well hidden and it stays in the clear.

18. Mar 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    is there any way to mess with the wiring to make the camera come on anytime you want?

19. Mar 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i have one of these: [​IMG]

VR3 camera from wally world. got it for christmas a couple years ago. nothing fancy, and still works great. i don't really use it for anything other than lining up my trailer hitch...but it's nice not needing a spotter or getting in & out of the truck 17 times to get hooked up. it's "wireless" from camera to receiver. camera wired into parking lights, so i can turn it on whenever i choose, and receiver is mounted to the sunglass flap in overhead console and powered via the lead for the map lights. i think they go for less than $100.

Products Discussed in

To Top