1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backcountry theft?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by rollin904, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Jul 26, 2017 at 11:04 PM
    Bigbunzilike

Bigbunzilike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCLB
    Clazzio leather seats, Bedrug, Leer topper RX100 cover, bull bar, 4X4 lighted switch, Heated Seats, LED bed lights.
    Go to Home depot and pick up the Milwaukee Tick or a few of them. You can attach them to anything you want and monitor it by using on app on your phone. Other than stuff like that you just have to believe in you fellow man. I have never had a problem but I go down the path least traveled.

2. Sep 24, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
  3. Sep 24, 2019 at 2:29 PM
    hoverlover

hoverlover Never pet a burning dog.

Member:
    C-137, Laniakea, Virgo, Milky Way, Earth, USA, TX
    Vehicle:
    Things. Stuff. Lots of bad decisions.
    Mostly Zip-Ties
    Wow, resurrected from 2017 by a bump.

Out of sight, out of mind. Locks only keep honest men honest. If someone wants something bad enough they'll take it regardless of your preventative measures. I do my best to make it difficult; if they want it they'll have to work for it, but if they do manage, that's what insurance is for, right?

Taco*Sauce06 likes this.
  4. Sep 26, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    10YSON

10YSON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GREG
    Vehicle:
    2ND GEN 4X4 LT
    TOTAL CHAOS 4WD LT KING SHOCKS TOTAL CHAOS SPINDLE GUSSETS TOTAL CHAOS CAM GUSSETS EXTENDED SS BRAKE LINES TOTAL CHAOS SPRING UNDER KIT DEAVER SPRING UNDER LEAFS PRP SUEDE STEERING WHEEL KMC CANYON 16X8 315/75R16 DIY FRONT & REAR BUMPER DIY BED RACK & SMITYBILT RTT EBAY SNORKEL SOME LIGHTS & OTHER SHIT
    I use a pressure switch on my spare tire (similar to the ones on your door that turn the lights on) thats hooked up to a very loud siren thats easily 2-3x as loud as a regular car alarm. I ran all of the wiring inside of the tubing so the dickhead wont even know it's there until he lifts the tire off.

I figure if some scumbag is going to steal something, they're going to start with my spare thats bolted to the back of my truck.

5. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Theives are lazy, and generally not very smart.

I’ve never had a problem when parking somewhere that’s really out in the boonies. Thats a lot of effort for a would-be theif for like not much gain, and they would have to know exactly where I parked.

But if your trailhead is only a mile or so out of town, and it’s a well known spot, yeah, I’d worry a bit. But just don’t leave expensive stuff in there, and you should be fine.

If it looks like you’re the kind of dude who has a shit ton of money back home, they might bother to get your address and track you down, but again, theives are generally lazy, and look more for targets of opportunity.

I’d honestly be more worried about your house getting broken into. Several years ago, I was packing up the tent trailer for a camping trip over a 3 day holiday weekend. We came back and house was ransacked. Turns put several others on the block got hit, too. They apparently drove thru the neighborhood looking for people packup up. It was a safe bet we’d all be gone several days, and we were.

So, if you can pack in your garage and not make it obvious you’re gone, that’d be the best.

6. Oct 1, 2019 at 9:20 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    I have found this to be true as well. You're likely to find trouble with local trails just in the outskirts of towns and cities where people walk a half a mile up the trail to break beer bottles and smoke pot. Unscrupulous people tend to frequent those spots more (just in general, the more people that go there, the more likely one or two of them are going to be turds).

The remote places that take a few hours to go to are generally more respected.

And this. Always keep a low profile. When leaving home for camping trips and whatnot, try not to advertise it to the world, both online and in real life. Don't tell all your coworkers, friends, and family you'll be heading out. Tell a few trusted ones and make sure they understand why you would like to maintain privacy on the situation (they'll think you're tin foil wearing paranoid, but better safe than sorry). Don't post to social media while driving there and how long you'll be. There will be plenty of time to advertise that once you get back, throw some filters on the photos, and blow up insta, snap, and fb. Pack up everything the night before just inside the front door or by the garage door inside. Early in the morning during nautical twilight, throw everything quickly in the vehicle and scram before anybody notices.

Yodeville and jbrandt[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top