1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

backup camera and faulty bsm

Discussion in 'Ontario, Canada' started by Canadianguy91, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Jan 17, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    Hey everyone. So I have a 2016 Tacoma. A few months ago my bsm system was acting weird. First it kept going off as if someone was in my blind spot even if know one was. It then started flashing really fast and the light on the switch would also flash. About a day later the whole system died. Switch doesn't light up, no noises, no indicators lighting. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? I never got an error message and I checked a number of fuses and there isn't any problems there. Ive had the truck for 3 years, so im passed warranty but I rarely used the system. Usually only had it on at night thinking if I dont use it too often it should wear out....
    Im open to all suggestions here

Also im experiencing some random effects from my rear view camera. id say 60-70% of the time it works, however most times its really blurry and has lines running through it. I thought maybe a connection problem. But even with the truck sitting still it still does this. The other 30% of the time the screen is just black. I took apart the connection under the rear bumper. cleaned it and put back. Looked inside the tailgate and that looks fine too. Looking for any advice on what I should do next. Really hoping to not take the dash apart

2. Jan 19, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    jordi992

jordi992 Skidplates reduce clearance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Burlington, ON
    Vehicle:
    Red truck
    Light bars, no lockers
    The backup camera issue sounds like a bad connection or frayed wire.

My trucks dont have BSM cant help much there. I would start with the switch not lighting up, see if it gets power and work backwards from there.

3. Jan 21, 2021 at 9:30 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    I checked the 3 connections, all were fine. Couldn’t find a frayed wire. Not sure where or how it could Frey where most is in the protective sleeve. But sounds like it just can’t find it.

the switch has 4 wires. So I’d have to find the relay it goes to

4. Jan 23, 2021 at 5:36 PM
    Norilsk

Norilsk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    kanata
    Vehicle:
    DiRtY7s and bEyoNd!
    BSM is moisture inside of the sensors, circuit boards corroded, you'll have to replace them or just forget about them.

Camera most likely also has to be replaced, moisture build up, not that expensive.

5. Jan 23, 2021 at 5:39 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    how do you know ?

6. Jan 23, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    Norilsk

Norilsk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    kanata
    Vehicle:
    DiRtY7s and bEyoNd!
    experience ;) Toyota front differential actuators get moisture inside easy and corrode, those BSM crap boxes get water quicker than you can say "fourwheeldrive" :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top