1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup Camera Options - No Head Unit Screen

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 16Tacos, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Sep 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM
    16Tacos

16Tacos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    OME Nitrochargers w/886s & Dakars, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/Warn winch, RCI sliders with kick out, IFS & Mid skids, BFF Hi-clearance rear bumper, Brushed Copper 17" SCS Ray10s w/285-70 KO2s, Black OEM 16" steelies w/255-85 KM2s, Leer contractor cap w/Smittybilt overlander xl RTT, Off-Grid Engineering dual battery kit and bed power panel, Blue sea aux fuse block, Wyntner 60L fridge freezer, ARB dual compressor, Pioneer 720BT head unit, CB radio, @Matt_Gecko bed and engine bay lights, @TacomaTruckParts Dirt bike tie down bar, color matched OEM grill, A-Pillar phone mount mod, @Docloco rear seat molle panel
    I just put on a Leer contractor cap and didn't really think not having windows would be that big of a deal, but I have to parallel park a good amount and I'd like to install a backup camera to help gauge the distance to the car behind me. Also it would be nice to be able to see better when I'm forced to reverse back down a trail.

I have an aftermarket head unit but it doesn't have a video screen so i think I'll either have to change out my head unit or go with something that links to my phone/iPad via Wifi or Bluetooth. I was almost going to just wire up my GoPro but I bet that would get stolen in no time.

Any suggestions? I found some cameras with wifi antennas but the reviews aren't great. I will have power in my bed shortly as I am installing a panel with a cigarette style power outlet, USB, and voltmeter.

So you can see what I'm dealing with:

2. Sep 15, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    zh137dz

zh137dz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Sport
    too many lights
    Two things come to mind:
    1. Buy the Gentex mirror and camera for the tailgate handle.
    2. Buy a cheaper headunit like the Joying style (seems to be popular with a few people here).
    Method 1 will probably cost a shit ton, not sure how much the mirror and camera are. Could be easy(ish) if the wiring is preexisting and is just a plug and play. Clean look and don't have to upgrade your current headunit.

Method 2 can be cheaper than Method 1 based on which headunit and camera you go with. I have one of those license plate frame cameras I intend to dismantle and fab a bracket up for to avoid using the whole license plate frame.

Either way you'll have to run a wire front to back for the video signal but you can tap reverse wires or other locations in the back for power.

3. Sep 15, 2017 at 12:21 PM
    16Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    OME Nitrochargers w/886s & Dakars, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/Warn winch, RCI sliders with kick out, IFS & Mid skids, BFF Hi-clearance rear bumper, Brushed Copper 17" SCS Ray10s w/285-70 KO2s, Black OEM 16" steelies w/255-85 KM2s, Leer contractor cap w/Smittybilt overlander xl RTT, Off-Grid Engineering dual battery kit and bed power panel, Blue sea aux fuse block, Wyntner 60L fridge freezer, ARB dual compressor, Pioneer 720BT head unit, CB radio, @Matt_Gecko bed and engine bay lights, @TacomaTruckParts Dirt bike tie down bar, color matched OEM grill, A-Pillar phone mount mod, @Docloco rear seat molle panel
    I'm fine with running wires. The Wifi ones seem to have a significant amount of lag, which I would rather do without. Looking into different headunits now...

4. Sep 19, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    16Tacos[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 19, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    09-11 I believe came with back up camera wired to a screen hidden in the rear view mirror, so parts should be floating around for that setup. Gives you another option if you want to keep your head unit.

16Tacos[OP] likes this.
  6. Sep 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    zh137dz

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    too many lights
  7. Sep 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    16Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    Dang that's cheap, nice find. Still trying to decide if I want the kind that has a monitor in the rear view mirror. I think that it'd be nice to have the monitor out of the way. Not sure where I'd put that monitor that comes with that kit.

8. Sep 21, 2017 at 12:50 PM
    16Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    @zh137dz I picked it up, used some of my Amazon point so I got it for only $12! Figured I'll give it a go for that price and no harm done if I don't like it.

Thanks for the reply!

9. Sep 21, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    zh137dz

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    too many lights
    Might even be able to suction cup stick it to the back sliding window and see it in your rearview mirror :rofl:

Actually that could work if you could mirror the image in the monitor.

10. Sep 22, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    16Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    Hahaha that could work actually, as I just need it to gauge the distance to the car behind me :thumbsup:

I'll post up after I attempt the install this weekend.

11. Sep 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM
    zh137dz

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    too many lights
    Good luck!

12. Sep 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    blksandpearl2010

blksandpearl2010 Yeah, yeah...

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 LB trdSport
    old man emu, nitrocharger shocks, darkar leaf springs, bbs wheels, access tonneau cover, laufen AT 275/65/18,
    Could always do reverse sensors as well or a stand alone option.

13. Sep 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM
    BDBSoCal

BDBSoCal The Safety Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2008 SR5 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just starting...
    Honestly, I've had it with bumping into things (like saplings) that are too skinny for me to see directly behind me when my shell is packed full. Can't see them in the side mirrors. I've decided that I need to do something more dramatic before I hit something significant. I'm trying this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X391BHS/Pioneer-AVH-X391BHS.html

And one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DCRIS1U/

I already have a couple of Rigid Dually flood lights as back-up lights. They don't help when the skinny thing is right behind my truck though.

The other two challenges I encountered are 1) a short think like a bicycle being placed by someone directly behind my truck, so it is shorter than my tailgate (couldn't see it even without the shell), and 2) trying to back up and line up the hitch to tow something alone. I figure the handle camera will be better for seeing below to the hitch, compared to a straight-back view from the license plate.

Products Discussed in

To Top