1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad caliper seals??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RacerP, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Nov 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    RacerP

RacerP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    So I was doing pads and rotors on my fronts and one caliper has 2 busted seals (or should I call them boots) on the pistons.

Do I need to replace this caliper??

2. Nov 28, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    you should always replace the caliper every other brake job or so..those ware down also and they get really hot inside

3. Nov 28, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    RacerP

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Alright, so is there anyplace reliable enough to buy calipers from other than the dealer?? I know my local dealer is going to sell them to me at list and I don't have the time to order them from one of the discounted dealers like Champion down in Houston.

Can you get quality replacement calipers from a PepBoys or Napa or something like that?

4. Nov 28, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Yes, any auto parts store like Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. should be able to get you new, or remaned calipers. :)

5. Nov 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    RacerP

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    Wow,

So I called my local dealer, they wanted $442 for a new caliper and they had to order it, wouldn't have it for 5 days.

Called O'Reilly's and then can get me a reman caliper in 3 hours for $55!

As usual, I appreciate all the help from this board!!!

Peter

6. Nov 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    seksilumpia

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    haha yup...fuck the dealership...all theyre good for is making our tacos lol

7. Nov 28, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Icon's with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 295 BFG KO2, Bora 1" spacers, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    WOW! didnt know you had to replace the Calipers every so often! So how do you know if they need replacing?

8. Nov 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    my calipers have right close to 65k on them......2 of the boots have small tears in them.......not worrying about them until the caliper freezes up.

9. Nov 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    seksilumpia

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    it all depends on what your driving habits are..my truck has 66k mi and i havent replaced my calipers yet..im going to change them out on my next brake change tho

10. Nov 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    wow, really:confused:!!!!!! I hope your kidding!!!!

To the O.P. those little rubber boots keep dust/debris/dirt off the piston itself. If the boot is torn you DO NOT need to replace your caliper, you can purchase a rebuilt kit from a Toyota dealer for about $30-$40 that will work for both calipers. If you can do your own brakes you can rebuild your own calipers there's no special tools needed. The only reason the calipers should ever be replaced is if the pistons or the caliper housing are damaged/bent!!!!!!!

11. Nov 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    x2................ive done countless brake jobs...on many different vehicles.....and only time ive needed to replace the calipers are when they were starting to lock up.

as stated...they can be taken apart...rebuilt if needed....relubed, and good to go.

the tears in my boots are minimal.....i always keep an eye on them.

12. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Icon's with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 295 BFG KO2, Bora 1" spacers, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I should really look at mine and see If I see any damage or wearing. With over 100K on them.

13. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    FuTang909Inamo

FuTang909Inamo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal IE
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD PreRunner
    Deckplate mod, Trueflow drop in filter, clear corners, 31 BFG A/T on 15x8 Mb Razors.
    Maybe he meant the rotors...I've never heard of replacing calipers every other brake job.

14. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    RacerP

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    The hell with that! These calipers from O'Reilly's were literally $55 each, on top of that they came with new pins and clips. Before I ordered these I probably spent a good 2 hours trying to get those infamous pins out. I used a center punch on all of them and banged the crap out of them. Then grinded the ends back down so they would be able to go back in. One of them got marred so bad from the center punch I actually ended up cutting it and removing it from both directions and going to the dealer to replace it.

So, for all the time spent on the pins, and the time it would take you to replace seals, plus the $30-$40 you would spend at the dealer for parts seems you come out ahead buying reman from some part store.

And, besides, I got 140K on my truck and these are the original calipers, so the probably need replacing anyhow.

Money well spent.

Peter

15. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    what are you talking about?? calipers should only have to be replaced for torn leaking boots or if they're seized. calipers are pretty expensive to be changing on a regular basis...

16. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    the more i read it....the more im sure he meant to say rotors instead.

17. Jan 6, 2010 at 4:36 AM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    toyota sells caliper rebuild kits for 28 bucks. It does both sides. It's just those boots. One of my boots was broke and the brake dust caused it to sieze up. I went threw a set of brake pads in like 10k miles. make sure the pistons with the broken boots move freely Or you'll get improper brake wear. The pistons actuall come out all the way if need be.

To Top