1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad Clunk When Turning Please Read

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slimsdepot, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Oct 21, 2008 at 10:51 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot [OP] slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I wanted to see if anybody could help me figure out this problem. I haven't had time to go to the dealer to have them look at it yet since I work every day pretty much. but...

When I am driving in a parking lot slow speeds and take a full crank right turn I hear a loud BANG or CLUNK underneath my front end after a second or two into the turn. it sometimes is just one clunk but the other day it made two quick clunks. I had my gf walk next to my truck when I turned but all she said was "yea there is a clunk under the truck" lol. not much help but i still love her haha.

If anybody has experienced this or know what it could be please help. I don't want any damage to be happening to my truck.

Thanks!

2. Oct 21, 2008 at 11:04 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    is your truck lifted? if so it may be the sway bar binding..... i've heard of that on some lifted ones.

3. Oct 22, 2008 at 4:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Even though you're busy, you're gonna have to make time to either get to the dealer to have them look at it (under warrantee) or take the time to figure it out first and then take it to the dealer for them to fix it.

You could jack up the front-end and turn the wheel back-n-forth and see if it clunks (wheels not turning). Then - manually turn each wheel by hand while turning and see if it clunks. Can you feel anything? Does the wheel have play in it (back/forth, side to side slop).

It could be a variety of things and depending on whehter it clunks while the wheels are turning or not - is a big difference in what it could be.

4. Oct 22, 2008 at 4:59 AM
    Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Active Member

Member:
    Toronto, Ontario. Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4dr TRD Long Box
    XDi Cold Air Intake Pioneer F90BT Husky Floor Liner Coverking Seat covers
    I have found when I have to go out an uneven driveway and have to turn the wheel completely to get into the curb lane, I get that bad clunk.

I don't get it when it just on flat pavement though.

Let us know!!

5. Oct 22, 2008 at 5:04 AM
    lakewoodbilly

lakewoodbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    White 08 DC V6 SR5 4WD TRD Sport
    Factory DRL's, Underhood Flood LED's, Underbody Multi-color LEDS, Red Line Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Anytime Fog Lights, PIAA 4100 Intense White, Luminics JDM Yellow H10 Fog Lights, OBX Sport Pedals, Sill Protectors, Bed Net, Front Bed Tie Downs, iPod and Aux Factory HU Interface, Sirius Sportster 5, Satellite Antenna through third brake light
    I think I have experienced the same deal and I believe it is the stupid mud flaps banging the tire and making the noise since they are connected to the body of the truck.

6. Oct 22, 2008 at 5:05 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Steering stop? There is a sticky about it at the top. Worth a look see?

7. Oct 22, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Yea its lifted with the stock coils and bilstein 5100's at 2.5" and AAL in the rear. I will test to see if its the sway bar thanks!
    It is definitely when the wheels are turning. It does not make that binding noise until the wheels have moved about a full rotation. I will call the dealer to schedule an appt for the weekend on a Saturday my only time to get it there.
    It is definitely not the mud flaps in my case since I dont have them on anymore... and its much louder of a noise than plastic binding. :(

8. Oct 22, 2008 at 8:13 AM
    Radelix

Radelix Runs with Scissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    17 trdor dcsb 6mt
    mine does it too when I hit a bump turned all the way to the lock. So far I have been told thats a toyota truck for ya

9. Oct 22, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    ^ How dare they! You smack the messenger next time! Lol there has to be a solution to this I have only noticed it when turning to the right and I have my front end lifted. Are you lifted at all? or stock?

10. Oct 22, 2008 at 2:40 PM
    Radelix

Radelix Runs with Scissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    17 trdor dcsb 6mt
    hahahha, its just what ive been told
    it really doesnt bother me since I dont generally pull tight u-turns

11. Oct 22, 2008 at 4:23 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I hear ya... it isn't something I do every day but when I have to take that tight turn its just such a bad feeling to hear that clunk and think something is getting binded or something. I will know this Monday I have an appt at 7:00am! The guy sounded pretty knowledgable on the issue. He said we might just need to relube some things etc. Pray they find out what it is and I can report back to you guys with good news! :cool:

12. Oct 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM
    panthergm

panthergm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5, Tundra SR, Tacoma, TRD Off-Road
    None Yet
    I have that same problem, I actually was gonna post another thread about it and ask for advice. I dont have the TRD Package its the SR5 Package. I notice it when I back out of my garage because I have to pull in at an angle to get the truck all the way in (Damn Roomates And Their Crap) Its a 2007 Double Cab.I notice it even when I make a right turn in a flat parking lot at work when I pull out and go to the right so I can exit the parking Complex. I may even have noticed it when I am pulling into a mall. I work M-F So I duno. My Sales Guy Called Recently To Ask How I Like My Tacoma And I never Called Him Back Yet. Nows Maybe A Good Time To Call Back. Everything On My Taco Is Stock Except The Deck. No Modifications Yet.

13. Sep 2, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    anyone else have this clunk when turning? how did you fix it? it happens on mine when turning into my driveway.

14. Sep 2, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i got it. hate it dont know what it is...also got the diesel sound, i wonder why i keep the truck with all the things that i hate about it and things that drive me crazy grrr

15. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    this happens with older toyotas all the time. put some grease on the steering stops and it will take care of it.

16. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Take a wide turn (large radius) into the drive way. See if it happens then.

17. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Where are the steering stops??? Don't these hit only at full lock?

18. Sep 2, 2009 at 11:36 PM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    Yeah, if it's the steering stops, it'll happen at full lock only. I'm new to 2nd gens, but I've had toyota since I was a kid. On the old hilux, one end looks like the end of a bolt and the other end is a concave metal bumper. Slow turning at full lock makes them clunk against each other. Add some grease and the problem goes away. I just looked at my 2nd gen and it looks somewhat similar but with one concave and one convex bumper.

19. Sep 3, 2009 at 2:24 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    yeah i think its just the truck being a toyota

my truck does it
    my dad's prerunner does it
    my dad's old 93 did it as well

20. Sep 3, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    rosebud

rosebud Love that transmission!

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Stock suspension, stock wheels, stock bumper, stock, stock, stock, dammit!
    That was a regular occurence in both of my older toyota trucks, 84 and 94. I had people look and they never found anything definite, so I never knew what it was. So, it just seems to be a toyota quirk. It never turned into an issue of any kind. I haven't heard it in the 09, yet.

Products Discussed in

To Top