1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad Clutch

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TacomaEX, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Jul 4, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    TacomaEX

TacomaEX [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Chrome Aires Bull Bar Chrome T-Rex Mesh Grill Hella 500 fog lights LED headlights K&N cold air intake
    The clutch on my 06 Tacoma went out at about 43,000 miles, I thought that was pretty insane, Toyotas are supposed to be dependable, has anyone else ahd this problem?

2. Jul 4, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Nope mine was out at 174,000 miles. Im sure everyone is going to ask this but did you drive it well?

3. Jul 4, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    what he said... do you know how to drive? not trying to sound like an ass but driver error is generally what kills clutches so early

4. Nov 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    4x4Tacoma

4x4Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fresno, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08' Tacoma, RR lock 295/75/16 MT 3" level kit
    3" leveling kit by Hell Bent Steel, 295/75/16R mud tires
    Hey I just opened a thread on this matter what happened to your mines an 08' manual 6spd tranny look at my pics. My clutch pad just sheared off the center peice it was fastened to

5. Nov 20, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    4x4Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fresno, ca.
    Vehicle:
  6. Nov 21, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    tacosuprem

tacosuprem Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    x2

7. Nov 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    mine went out at 8k, and yes i know how to drive it. which engine do you have? I have the 2.7 and it seems others are having this problem too. luckily toyota replaced it along with the throwout bearings, pressure plate, flywheel, etc. under warranty.

8. Nov 23, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    4x4Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fresno, ca.
    Vehicle:
    Guess what I talked to Toyota today and they say the TSB PDF that is on here and 10 other sites is wrong and that this exact clutch problem is NOT covered under the 60 month 60,000 mile warranty But by the comprehensive warranty 36 month or 36,000 mile. I honestly believe someone at Toyota fucked up! I was informed it was amended march 12, 2010. I am furious and feel there will be a law suite coming. I don't see how they say that whether it happens at 50k miles like mine went out at or 8k miles like taco supremes did that it's driver error. I may have driven like a grandma for those 50k miles and one day needed to actually put pedal to the metal to get out of the way of a fire engine or to pass another car (my situation) or just towing a trailer up a hill for goodness sake it doesn't matter cause it's the same defective part. And to make matters worse they put the exact same part number back in. And I asked them if there was another part they could put in maybe something stronger or possably off the supercharged xrunner which puts out way more torque and they still said NO! I didn't find out about this tsb until the day after I paid for it and the tsb says use a totally different part. and I paid to have the same defective part put back in and was lied to..... ERRRR Toyota dealership says it's abuse and has never seen any like this and that it was driver abuse... He had never seen this tsb before and there for wrote it off as abuse .... After giving him the tsb number stated that it's still out of warranty,... So because this retard over at the toyota dealership doesn't want to admitt he was wrong I now have to go to another dealership and get a second consultation from another guy. My question is how do you abuse a clutch other than riding the clutch and burning it out.....? Was there a warning label on the truck somewhere that I missed that says don't mash down on the gas as it might break the cheap under rated clutch pad in your vehicle ? Cause if I would have known they were using parts that can't Handel the torque of the truck I wouldn't have bought it!!! Plain an simple!! This should deffinatly be a recall item I guess we are just waiting till somebody dies from this before it's taken serious... But I tell you what I bet they don't use this same part on ther new 2010 models and that rite there will cover the law suite I'm bout to pull over these shady unhelpful illiterate people. Comments are all welcome

Products Discussed in

To Top