1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad day!!!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BreezyTaco, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Apr 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    BreezyTaco

BreezyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there who knows what I should do next...today I was leaving the parking lot, in a tight spot and I scraped the street light base which was cement. It was a very slight skid, and the damage is small but significant on the bottom back of the driver door and bottom front of the passenger door. I went to a collision center and they quoted me $782 to sand, prime, and paint with silver and recoat with a clear paint, the total hours were something crazy and they charge like 50 an hour. They said they would have to remove the Tacoma emblem, take the glass out, door handle and the mirror. They also said they could spot shot some other spots that the paint had chipped off. What other options do I have at this time, and is there any way I might be able to do this myself??? Here is a pic.
    scratch 002.jpg

scratch 003.jpg

scratch 004.jpg

2. Apr 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Try OEMPaint.com with the clear coat. if its a deep scratch

if its a scrape. Scratch_X might work.

3. Apr 1, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you feel like forking out the money I would get it fixed. Check around with a few other collision places though. Or, you could always leave the scratch as a battle wound, and just try to fix it yourself. I am sure there are other forums on body work for vehicles.

Second, maybe this is an excuse to order some sliders to go on your tacoma. That would be a good reason to explain to the wife. :D

4. Apr 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    What are sliders? If I had the side steps this could have been greatly avoided and only had damaged my side step. The wife has constantly put those on hold for me and now look what happened, I am pretty bummed out about the whole thing, $800 is a lot of mod money.

5. Apr 1, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Sliders are like step bars but 10x more durable. and look great too. Weld on is best.

Go to Shrockworks.com, All-Pro.com, and websites likie that

6. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    [​IMG]

This is longbows tacoma. He just got these on. It looks NICE!!:amen:

7. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    those last 2 are too blurry to tell if its gonna come out or not. The top one looks deep enough where it has to be professionally fixed. there is no buffing it out.

$800 for that is rediculous. It should be no more then $500. Since the truck is so new, why not see if someone can just spot paint it?

Upon looking again, it looks like its in the rock guard stuff toyota puts on the truck. So in theory, they only have to re-do that..not the entire door.

Or, you could see if line-x will color match the bottom of your doors..It would probably be cheaper still.

8. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    :headbang: ^+1

Very good idea....it may even look good if you line-x it black.

9. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Yeah the place said that they had to spray it with some plastic stuff and fix then paint it. I'm going to get a quote from the dealer too, but we all know how they work. I dont see why they need to paint the entire doors though.

10. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I was looking for some side mouldings even but dont see any, a new door costs about $500 I guess, but I'm going to get them priced from the dealer too.

11. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    ooooo that is a bad day man! I have a body shop here in north park that helped rebuild that hot rod dodge you saw.. they would quote you at a MUCH better price than that.

12. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Hook me up bro! Uncle Sam only pays me twice a month and at a very minimum wage so you know I need some payment options other than $800. I'm investing in those side steps for sure. Email me back and let me know the shops name and I will find time tomorrow to run over there.

13. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    Its in North Park called West Coast Auto Body off of Upas st. Tell them Jeff with the red 65 dart sent ya

14. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Will do man, I'm sleeping in my matrix tonight, so wont be able to go tomorrow but prolly friday. School is getting stressful and now this happened. Last week my matrix broke down, I seem to never be able to get ahead.

15. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Just some info for you-- if it does end up costing you around $800-- file a claim with your insurance. (if your collision deductible is 500 or smaller). This way, all you pay is the deductible. If your insurance company pays out less than $750, it will not count against you as an at fault accident in the future.

16. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    That is something else that I was wondering...I pay about 1600 a year for insurance on both my vehicles. And I have never had to use them thus far, knock on wood that I dont total out my car. But I am going to give them a call and see what they can do.

17. Apr 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    This is why we pay for insurance! Just make sure they don't go over that $750 mark or you'll get dinged for the next 3 years. Good luck to ya

18. Apr 1, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah

:confused:...............sleeping in your car? Are things that bad?

19. Apr 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    i was about to ask the same!

I got a couch if you need it!!

20. Apr 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    nah man, I have duty at 2 in the morning until 6 and then have class at 630 until like 5 in the afternoon, pulling a 15 hour shift. thats the navy way, and you dont get paid overtime. but it wasnt that bad, I did it to maximize my sleep.

Products Discussed in

To Top