1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad rust or ok?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by IEsurfer, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Aug 5, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Va
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma - 2018 Tacoma
    That's looks fine, but still wouldn't hurt to tap all along with a hammer to insure there are no thin areas.
    I'd rather see surface rust like that then where it's been painted over to just cover it up.

Junkhead, 420taco and virginiamarine like this.
  2. Aug 5, 2020 at 7:15 PM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    So true! Id be worried about fresh paint!
    Funny thing is, such things as flash rust is also a protectant!

3. Aug 5, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    This ^ BUT make sure you check the entire frame yourself with a small ball peen hammer BEFORE you buy it.

Junkhead[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 6, 2020 at 5:04 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    So, here is some basic information on different metals and why you should be selective in what you attach directly to your frame in the future.
    One of the big issues we had in the military (and on our own vehicles) is the use of antennas. The electric current running through the base and antenna created a galvanic corrosion since most bases for the antenna were mild steel and the antenna was aluminum (or any different combo). So, basically....the base would rust like crazy and fast no matter what you did. The solution to that came in a gasket with a metal mesh inserted between. This allowed the separation of the 2 metals, but still allowed connection. Basically, we use this type of gasket (only since 2008) across every platform we can.
    Here is a chart of what metals sacrifice for others (if you're like what!?!? this is for real??) then yes, I was the same way when I first was educated on this. Most boats you will notice have a sacrificial bar of zinc near the motor. Here is a chart to help understand just pulled from the internet.

As far as using inorganic/organic zinc powder in paint, you would be surprised to find that many paints come this way, but doing it yourself is an option. the mix and application really depend on your abilities and preference. I would say get some off the shelf stuff (s a primer) and then look to put a topcoat on it once it cures on the frame. Believe it or not (and I'm not a fan of rustoleum) but they have a cold galvanizing spray you can use (zinc rish spray) that you can get from home depot.

"Zinc powder is used in zinc rich paint to protect steel surfaces from corrosion. Zinc-rich paint is an essential component of most heavy duty coatings, as used in the protection of major structures such as offshore oil rigs, steel bridges, petrochemical and powder industries. Other applications include the painting of sea containers and in the construction and maintenance of ships and marine equipment."

Galvanic Series.jpg
    202008 Corrosion Story - Patina.jpg

IEsurfer[OP] and Kaptain_02 like this.
  5. Aug 6, 2020 at 7:21 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    what ratio would you use? any special paint you'd recommend or just any exterior paint for steel?

6. Aug 6, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Frankenstuff

Frankenstuff Busy iracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Vehicle:
    16TRDORDCsb 4x4 & 2020 BMW M2 competition
    16 trd ORdcsb4x4 c4 swingout rear, cbi t3 front , arb lift,16"grabber x3 rtt, hilift,jerry cans,and sliders . 81 hilux trail donkey
    You sir deserve a cookie. I work in collision and you would be surprised how few people grasp this.

7. Aug 6, 2020 at 8:14 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I am saying for the average person (like us taco users) this would work fine for at home application (see below). Although I just noticed it states it provides cathodic protection (which it definitely does not). I haven't used this product, but I might get a can to test out.

Then, you could use a POR15 or something like that as a top coat (since this is for the frame) you don't have to worry about UV protection and the like. I'm not even opposed to rustoleum top coat after you lay the primer. From your military background, you probably have seen that most systems we have, paint coatings is the cheapest investment to make, but CARC is by it's very purpose not a corrosion protectant. Although different variants of CARC are now available.

upload_2020-8-6_11-11-51.jpg

8. Aug 6, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    yeah, you would see this all day long I bet. It's basic properties that want to go back to their original form...iron ore. We'll never stop it, but we can prolong, delay, and control it.

9. Aug 6, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    Kaptain_02

Kaptain_02 2019 OR

Member:
    Thanks for the info, this is really useful.

Would you consider this a good option on a bare metal part of the frame (think CMC), and then top coat it with whatever you want?

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-V...dp/B000LET8DA/ref=psdc_13399701_t1_B00106H68W

10. Aug 6, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    Its all i did to my 2001 tundra and after 19 years the frame was still good. I guess if you plan to keep the truck to eternity you need to do more prep work. Fluid film basically encapsulates any rust so the air can't get at it for awhile.

11. Aug 6, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    virginiamarine

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    This particular spray seems to work, but it looks like you cannot do a top coat. I haven't tried it, but if the content is as they say, it should work as a single spray application upon cleaning up the surface. Note of caution though, surface prep is key (but) I think you should be good to go with frame application considering it's a used vehicle. This or fluid film application will take care of your situation. Might I suggest Fluid Film spray with straw nozzle in any open gaps of the frame and a cold spray on the outer....protect what you can on both inside and out. My FJ had areas where I could do that (screw holes, etc).

Products Discussed in

To Top