1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad stuff is starting in the engine/tranny dunno yet.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by alexlies, May 11, 2010.

1. May 17, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Your truck is making poor power. Again, stick with the simple solutions before you go to a dealer. First, seafoam your engine to rid it of the carbon build up (I can assure you there is A LOT).

My truck had 94k when I seafoamed, and it had a mess of carbon! It used to run horrible in 4th, ussually shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th on the highway. Now it runs beautifully (doesnt downshift even on steep hills).

Also, clean your MAF and intake manifold (or at least check them. My manifold was nice and clean, but I sprayed it down anyway).

Load your gas tank with some seafoam/injector cleaner to clean your fuel injectors.

If you didnt change your oil yet, pour a bit of seafoam (usefull stuff) down the oil cap on your engine. Dont drive it for more than 100-300miles before changing the oil though (and get synthetic or at least blend).

All of this (excluding oil change) can be done in the scope of 3-4hrs for no more than $20 total. I promise you, if it doesnt fix your issue %100, your truck at least will be running a lot better.

2. May 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    alexlies

alexlies [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Battleground
    Vehicle:
    2002 4 door 4x4
    found out what is was. my 3rd cylinder so under the coil rubber deal that goes over my spark plug was no good inside and was not giving my spark plug a good connection . so after that it ran great but to top it off i took the throttle body off and clean the ish out of it. it was pretty nasty. and i got some seafoam and lucas injector cleaner in the tank. i should do the seafoam in the oil next time. its kinda scary though lol. thanks for all ur guys input.

3. May 17, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    glad you got it all fixed! maybe ill see ya around town sometime....:D

4. May 18, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Yup, I always try to check the resistance every time I change the spark plugs. Glad everything is working.

5. May 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    tc_demon

tc_demon New Member

Member:
    Not to hijack the tread from the OP...but my uncles 2000 Tacoma X-Cab 4-bangger @115K threw a miss firing code it was cyl #2, changed all the spark plugs and coils and cleaned out the throttle body, a day later light came on again now cyl #1 is miss firing #2 is ok. What gives? I just cleaned out the coil electrical connection to the wire with electrical cleaner (fingers cross) any ideas?

6. May 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Try getting new wires. There probably bad...

Products Discussed in

To Top